Best time of year to purchase a central a/c unit?

Best time of year to purchase a central a/c unit?

I've been patching my central a/c for a couple of years, so I'm trying to plan for a new one - vs. get something in an emergency when it finally dies. Is there a particular time of year that is better than another to purchase a unit? (obviously, this is a cost question).
    For what its worth... I live in Florida, so - hot and humid a large part of the year.

Thanks!

The best time for you to buy one would be when you have available capital. But, the best times of year to try and negotiate would be the off seasons when the most HVAC companies are there slowest.

If you can make it through 1 more summer

go w/off season. Guys tend to be less rushed and perhaps you could swing a slightly better deal.

We got ours in Jan of 09, and glad of it.

Twilly says the day before yours breaks down
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Research online prices, but if you buy online you will not have warranty. goodman doesn't give warranty if bought online.

Quote Originally Posted by paraglider View Post
    Research online prices, but if you buy online you will not have warranty. goodman doesn't give warranty if bought online.
    forget online call a couple of respected contractors and get a price to install a properly sized complete matched system. I would want at least a 15 seer and also a 10 year parts and labor warranty backed by the manufacture. stay away from the low ballers

If your system is working now but you know it's just limping along then now is the time to get your research done. Look for a reputable contractor in your area and have them do a load calculation and give you some options for your home. Even if you don't buy now you'll have an idea of what you're going to need to spend to get what you want. Buying when the system fails generally leads to buying what you can afford at the time and not necessarily what you would get if you had time to think about it.