Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Im a homeowner who has a company installing stucco around entire house. While nailing wire lath up, they put hole into tubbing and the R-22 leaked out!!! My A/C guy came over and put a dye stick in and is waiting for me to demo inside of wall so he can use ultra violet light to track down leak..He also used a freon sensor and picked up area where it could be leaking...How would any of the great pros out there fix/find leak...Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!THANK YOU!!!!

Sniff it out and patch it up with brazing rod...as long as nuthing shot into the refer line.

Sorry, just noticed you sad all the juice came out, he needs to pressurize the system with nitrogen to find leak & then braze. Evacuate & charge back.

How about just running a new line up the wall and enclose it in some nice plastic covers?
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

How hard can it be to find a leak with a nail hole in there? Why would you have to use dye or even soap to find such a leak. Open up the wall where the line set is running and you should see the nail hole very easily. As far as patching, braze it up, pressure test, evac and weith in new charge.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Would brazing be the best option??? Just wondering if the braze would hold up as opposed to cutting out and replacing the damaged section??? Do they have some sort of sleeve to go over the hole??? Thanks !!!

Your contractor could go about this in a couple of different ways

He could vacate the original lineset like freezeking suggested and run a new lineset outside the structure, thereby elminating the need to open the walls repairing the leak and then closing them up again.

or

Open the walls at the suspected point, pressurize with nitrogen, locate the leak, cut the line, couple in some manner, braze the leak, install a filter drier, evacuate, weigh in the proper charge and test.

Hope this helps

sc

if its just a small nail hole i would locate and braze over it. one little spot for potential leak instead of 2 sides of a coupling.

Find the leak,do not repair the hole in the line in the wall,splice a new piece of copper above the top-plate and below the floor joice.

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    How about just running a new line up the wall and enclose it in some nice plastic covers?
    Since the wall guys did it, they can make an attractive chase for you.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    Since the wall guys did it, they can make an attractive chase for you.

Now thats an idea.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by ductguy007
    Find the leak,do not repair the hole in the line in the wall,splice a new piece of copper above the top-plate and below the floor joice.
    That's a lot of extra work that isn't needed. If it's just a nail hole, it can be patched with brazing rod, or at worst a coupling. There's no need to run an entirely new lineset or go adding splices.

We repair them with brazing rod all the time in new construction, it seems the siding guys take pride in blowing nails into the lines.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

I've followed around a group of carpenters that were installing Hardy Board in a group of two hundred condos.every so often a nail would get shot into the lineset.No biggy. You could actually hear where the leak was,they would just open her up,I'd braze the hole ,evacuate,install a new drier ,re-charge & foget about it. I really don't see any problems with doing it this way. Two years later and no call backs. It's not a big deal,$hit happens.I'm not a big fan of dye to begin with.The 15% silver solder is strong stuff.Don't sweat it. Just make the wood butchers pay for the repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast