Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused troubleshooting 3phase compressor please help

i have this compressor a tecumseh AV190TT-045-S7

460V 3PHASE 60HZ
    5 TON R22 compressor hermatic compressor

here is my question this is a replacement compressor installed a month ago everthing was done correctly to my knolage flush high acid filter drier and vaccum what its doing is nothing!!!!

ive checked the windings and none are open and none are grounded
    ive got the correct voltage coming to the compressor each leg and leg to leg
    ive tried to check the amp draw but its not pulling anything or even trying to come on ive never seen this before in my life

the only thing i could think of is on the windings from when i ohm ed each leg had the same continuity i believe it was around 4.3 i am kinda rusty to the hvac industry do to taking a different job but still should be able to figure this out they shouldnt have the same continuity should they???? or is that ok on 3phase im not real sure and anything would be appriatated

im 99% sure the compressor is bad but there is still that little bit bothering me

Ohm phase to phase, 3ph. Should all be very near the same
    Each leg at comp terminals to gnd, 0L at ALL phases.
    If contactor is in ......line side to load side power is passing and compressor still is not running.
    Compressor is bad.
    Actually check while contactor is closed line and load sides to ensure power is passing.

Last thing to check, there's no internal overload.....see schmatic drwng.....
    What type of unit??

long story short, Feel the top of the compressor.. If its smoking hot its out on overload.. Leave it off overnight, start it up in the morning. If you have 460v on every combo going into the compressor, write up the compressor..

it is a carrier 10ton rooftop package unit when i ohmed phase to phase they were pretty close to the same and none were grounded and i had full power going to the unit with the contactors closed i just never seen one do that they usally hum or will have a winding open or somthing just figured it would alleast try with the windings good and power to the comp. thanks alot for the help just making sure im not crazy

yeah i know when a compressor is in overload it will have a open leg i belive common to start right?

God only knows whats going on there, Some compressor just break internally and seize up.. If its not out on overload replace the compressor..

yeah thats all i could figure thanks for the help i just never seen one do that before so i figured i would check around on the internet and see if anyone else has

bubba add your email to your profile <but not on the forum page> and i will send you some info.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Doin it now thanks

You got mail
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks alot man

Quote Originally Posted by bubba_v2008 View Post
    yeah i know when a compressor is in overload it will have a open leg i belive common to start right?
    Three phase compressors don't have common, run or start windings, each winding has the same resistance, that's why the ohm readings should all be about the same and that's why there's no run or start cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast