Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    That is why you need infrared technology.
    so infrared is the way to go on smaller 410-a leaks? what about operation learning curve? and false signals, do they exist?

dogboy

Quote Originally Posted by showtyme View Post
    I agree with keeping homeowners out of here but it seems like it would be a blanket effect. Do you think I don't belong here because it says guest under my name?
    Easy there showtyme!

I get your point. I could go either way, but I tend your direction. energy star has more time on the site than you and that has helped him form a different opinion. It's possible after time on the site as a pro you may share it.

Get your post count up, apply and enjoy the benefits. There are larger things afoot my friend.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    so infrared is the way to go on smaller 410-a leaks? what about operation learning curve? and false signals, do they exist?

dogboy
    Unless Eugene has used any other I/R detectors than the one he just bought he is probably just repeating what some sales guy has told him.

I've used D-TEK Select and the Fieldpiece I/R
    The D-TEK was not so great when it first came out but sounds like they made improvements and probably works as good as the F/P now.

Both those I/R detectors and the ZX-1 list .1 oz/yr for r-410a

Those newer J/B and UEi detectors mentioned earlier are rated with a sensitivity of .05 oz/yr for r-410a and they are not I/R
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by showtyme View Post
    I agree with keeping homeowners out of here but it seems like it would be a blanket effect. Do you think I don't belong here because it says guest under my name?
    No not at all. I personally feel that if you don't earn a living from using these tools day in and day out, you don't belong in this particular section.
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Unless Eugene has used any other I/R detectors than the one he just bought he is probably just repeating what some sales guy has told him.

I've used D-TEK Select and the Fieldpiece I/R
    The D-TEK was not so great when it first came out but sounds like they made improvements and probably works as good as the F/P now.

Both those I/R detectors and the ZX-1 list .1 oz/yr for r-410a

Those newer J/B and UEi detectors mentioned earlier are rated with a sensitivity of .05 oz/yr for r-410a and they are not I/R
    What a hypothesis you make of me? I am not sure if you are trying to just discredit me or what? I did not talk to a salesman, I just did a search for Infrared detectors and the Roinair was on the list. Eugene just so happens to own a D-Tek Select, and I am not pounding my chest for the Robinair, just made mention I bought it, and it has worked so far so good just like the D-Tek. I will have to get back to you in 25 years if we want to compare it to the great H-10 I used to own that was always broken

1 I want a leak detector that can find leaks without false alarms.

2 I want a leak detector that lasts...........

3 I will keep buying and trying till I retire or die, which ever comes 1st?

4 I will let you all know what has been a dud, even the Robinair/FP should it turn out that way.

5 I miss my Halide torch.

I have found my ZX-1 will false alarm when bumped if dirty and and detects smmmall leaks better than both those I/R's
    We may have a different interpretation of small leak but really sounds like you've had a 5hitty experience with tif which is completely believable.
    All I'm saying is if the old tec of the ZX-1 has been better than I/R when all is right with the detectors and listed at .1 the new non I/R's that are even more sensitive should out perform the I/R's that are out to date on small leaks.
    How old is your D-TEC?

I have found my ZX-1 will false alarm when bumped if dirty and and detects smmmall leaks better than both those I/R's
    We may have a different interpretation of small leak but really sounds like you've had a 5hitty experience with tif which is completely believable.
    All I'm saying is if the old tec of the ZX-1 has been better than I/R when all is right with the detectors and listed at .1 the new non I/R's that are even more sensitive should out perform the I/R's that are out to date on small leaks.
    How old is your D-TEC?
    I guess you had a better experience with your ZX-1? Mine could not find large leaks in R-409, 22, etc.

Our D-Tek is 2 years old, the first one had problems and the factory shipped us out a new one July 2009. My other tech is the primary user of the D-Tek. We also have a couple of the cheaper Tek Mates, and they have been OK for the money we spent on them. The Robinair is my newest experimental leak detector of the many I have owned.

I believe affordable I/R suitable for field use has been tapped with the current sensitivity.
    I/R can be to sensitive to other gasses in air that you are not trying to detect like pockets of different concentration of co2.
    I don't believe I/R is going anywhere from here but there is still room for improvement for other types of sensors and the way the operate.
    The ZX-1 was a big leap in that direction.

I believe affordable I/R suitable for field use has been tapped with the current sensitivity.
    I/R can be to sensitive to other gasses in air that you are not trying to detect like pockets of different concentration of co2.
    I don't believe I/R is going anywhere from here but there is still room for improvement for other types of sensors and the way the operate.
    I would have liked to try the zx but they don't make that anymore and usually newer stuff is less quality. Plus tif's name is not great IMO
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I have never tried any other IR detector other than the FP for any length of time but I am very happy with it's performance over my last tech mate for the smaller leaks.

With that said I will add that IMHO no matter which device you use it should only be used as a preliminary first run for the obvious leaks. I still rely on the old dauber and spray fluorescent bubble liquid and if that fails a last resort injection of dye. But that's just my for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I would have liked to try the zx but they don't make that anymore and usually newer stuff is less quality. Plus tif's name is not great IMO
    Maybe I should stick the ZX-1 back in the truck for that phantom 410A leak, in the mean time it can piss me off if I bump it lightly and get its false alarms, and the board might screw up and I will have to pull the battery to shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    From all the recent complaints around there must be a quality control issue.
    You hear guys love it of hate it.
    I will most likely not replace my ZX-1 with another or the new ZX because of what guys are saying
    If I get one of the others I'll let ya know.

Eugene so far your experience with the Robinair has been positive?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast