Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Thanks agent. That was good advice. I was just looking for something portable. I suppose I should have went with the pm. For now I'll use the cord lol. I hate false alarms. I had that problem using my bros tif.

How much was that ultrasonic. Looks expensive
    You know the expression... If you have to ask... LOL

The truth is that I couldn't afford one either, so when I met a guy with one I had to kill him in order to get it.

The basic kit starts at about $2500 as I recall.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

CTRL Systems has some videos here

http://www.youtube.com/user/CTRLSyst.../1/iHEpHLwCvAE

darctangent have you used a VPE?
    From the CTRL videos they seem similar to me but a fraction of the cost.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    CTRL Systems has some videos here

http://www.youtube.com/user/CTRLSyst.../1/iHEpHLwCvAE

From the CTRL videos they seem similar to me but a fraction of the cost.
    Sorry iceman, I can't prove or disprove that. I can't comment beyond what is apparent by looking at it. The VPE has an adjustable probe, the VPE has numerous attachments depending on the application.

If the VPE can overcome the advantage that the CTRL 101 has in general design through better pick up and filtering then I guess it's possible that the VPE is comparable.

Time will tell.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Iceman, is the the same unit you are talking about?

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.co...-p/sup-vpe.htm

If so I have seen it, or an earlier version of it, but sold as a different brand name. I THINK it was a robinair product. The product rep wasn't willing to make any grandiose claims regarding it.

If it's the same thing that I saw ten years ago, I would think that the CTRL 101 would slice and dice that thing.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    Iceman, is the the same unit you are talking about?

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.co...-p/sup-vpe.htm

If so I have seen it, or an earlier version of it, but sold as a different brand name. I THINK it was a robinair product. The product rep wasn't willing to make any grandiose claims regarding it.

If it's the same thing that I saw ten years ago, I would think that the CTRL 101 would slice and dice that thing.
    Yes that's it.
    I guess there were some knock offs a while back that may have infringed on their patent and are no longer around maybe it was just a simple rebranding deal that went to the way side I don't know. I thing MecAcc has one by a different name but he also has the VPE-2000 I think.

Sorry to thread jack but for someone looking for a cheap/reliable detector, what about this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Robinair-16600...9527899&sr=8-2

I am new to the field and I need a leak detector.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood650 View Post
    Sorry to thread jack but for someone looking for a cheap/reliable detector, what about this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Robinair-16600...9527899&sr=8-2

I am new to the field and I need a leak detector.
    First indication? .....Hell no.

You will need to adjust your concept that cheap and reliable fit in the same sentence when buying tools. Some times it works out that way, but most of the time it doesn't! What are you doing worrying about buying a leak detector for anyway? There are plenty of other basic tools you should worry about first.

It's an old saying among tradesmen, but it will always be true:

When buying tools, buy the best that you can reasonably afford, because the best will last a lifetime.

The duck has spoken.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

So far so good with my new Robinair 22791. I love the fact that it finds leaks, and does not false alarm if I bump it on something.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    So far so good with my new Robinair 22791. I love the fact that it finds leaks, and does not false alarm if I bump it on something.
    I wouldn't mind trying that model at all. Generally I would get the fieldpeice because as others have said, I like their support and Russel is here on HVAC-TALK. It's obviously the same design. I'm not totally sold on fieldpiece, but they do many things right.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    First indication? .....Hell no.

You will need to adjust your concept that cheap and reliable fit in the same sentence when buying tools. Some times it works out that way, but most of the time it doesn't! What are you doing worrying about buying a leak detector for anyway? There are plenty of other basic tools you should worry about first.

It's an old saying among tradesmen, but it will always be true:

When buying tools, buy the best that you can reasonably afford, because the best will last a lifetime.

The duck has spoken.

I meant reasonable and reliable.i know cheap tools usually are crap. Looking to spend around 200.I have tools to do the job, but I need to start getting more tools to do different jobs. What other basic tools? We don't like to charge systems without searching for leaks first...

I may be wrong about MechAcc having the VPE-2000 that one looks new. Mech?

http://www.superiorsignal.com/accurevw.pdf

and I see a new model? VPX-WR
    Waterproof!
    20kHz-1000kHz
    No tuning

Anyway looks like the VPE and VPE-1000 might use the same air sensor 36kHz-42kHz but it adds a second dedicated sensor for surface detection 18kHz-22kHz

You the one with the dirty ZX-1 Jeep
    The I/R will false alarm in turbo mode and will pick up differences in CO2 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood650 View Post
    I meant reasonable and reliable.i know cheap tools usually are crap. Looking to spend around 200.I have tools to do the job, but I need to start getting more tools to do different jobs. What other basic tools? We don't like to charge systems without searching for leaks first...
    Being that you are new here, and in the trade, do you know HOW to find out if the system needs a charge? hint- generally SH & SC.

First, your post is much broader than this thread, you should start another of your own.

Second, (to be addressed in your own thread), you should address your need for tools according to what work you need to do and who else you work with and what tools they have. This will change over time, but it can ease your burden somewhat. Hand tools are your first priority. Your boss should be able to give you some kind of assistance in getting geared up. I have over $10,000 in tools, but I could squeak by on maybe 2-3k, but even that is hard for a new guy to buy at once. FYI, the fieldpiece SLR2 looks fairly decent for the price. Should last a while too. don't toss your money on a crappy leak detector, you will be pissed, and waste your time too. The ultrasonics being discussed here are not a first line of leak detection, IMO. Good electronic followed by a bubble leak indicator is the general consensus.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast