Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast
    I got around to testing R-22 with my detectors in the back of the garage with the door open and jug on the floor no breeze @ 70˚F

With the reference leak my SRL2 and SRL8 did not pick up anything and my ZX-1 was screaming again.

I changed the clean filters on the Fieldpiece units with new clean filters and got the same result -0- leak detected with either Fieldpiece unit.

I have some R-134A setting up now and will try the R-410A again.

At least from the videos it appears something is wrong with both SRL2 and SRL8 unless being outside makes that much of a difference compared to inside where you did it Mech.

At least now I can see why I'm so frustrated with these Fieldpiece detectors but I still not sure if if there is anything wrong with them or not.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

where can i get a couple of those ls reference leaks at

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I got around to testing R-22 with my detectors in the back of the garage with the door open and jug on the floor no breeze @ 70˚F

With the reference leak my SRL2 and SRL8 did not pick up anything and my ZX-1 was screaming again.

I changed the clean filters on the Fieldpiece units with new clean filters and got the same result -0- leak detected with either Fieldpiece unit.

I have some R-134A setting up now and will try the R-410A again.

At least from the videos it appears something is wrong with both SRL2 and SRL8 unless being outside makes that much of a difference compared to inside where you did it Mech.

At least now I can see why I'm so frustrated with these Fieldpiece detectors but I still not sure if if there is anything wrong with them or not.
    Maybe Russ Harju can address your problem and provide assistance.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

I really don't think anything is "wrong" with them.
    This is my second SRL2 and they both had the same sensitivity IMO
    that's why I never bothered sending it back for a third.

Hey Mech
    Here is that ZX-1/R-401A video on youtube
    I think it is messed up though!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97FPpS0v3Qw

Hey Mech
    Here is that ZX-1/R-401A video on youtube
    I think it is messed up though!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97FPpS0v3Qw
    Can't see much....

Had a pin hole leak on a walkin freezer today r404 The Fieldpeice IR picked it up at the door,big blue only picked it up with my finger over the leak!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyFWhq77Js

See if this don't work
    If not I don't know what gives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyFWhq77Js

See if this don't work
    If not I don't know what gives
    Video looks good....but, did you shoot it in a mirror???

Now I can see it. Thanks. How did you like testing the LS-4?
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by MechAcc View Post
    Now I can see it. Thanks. How did you like testing the LS-4?
    It is a simple device that is only calibrated for one pressure.
    When connected to something like R-410A or a hot or cold drum of R-XXX it is merely a reference leak but still useful.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Video looks good....but, did you shoot it in a mirror???
    Yep smoke and mirrors
    Thats the only way I could find a small R-410A leak with a heated sensor

Bacharach Informant II....

Okay, so I've spent the rest of the summer comparing the sensitivity of this tool between R-22 and R-410a and there is a difference. It picks up the R-22 from quite a ways away (3-5ft). You have to move over the surfaces of the piping system (within 6in.) to detect R-410a but it picks it up right away. In terms of R-22 it picks up concealed leaks (under the insulation and other things) very well. You have to remove the insulation for 410a detection. This is by far the best meter I have ever owned.

There are 2 quirks that I found with this unit however, if you are in wind or are sniffing near a running fan, you will get false readings.

Also, the sensitivity scale is much more balanced when detecting R-22. with 410, it's either screaming or it just barely ticks. After getting used to it, I found that you just stay near the tick and get really close and move the tip slowly. You will hit gold pretty quickly.

99% of the leaks I found this summer were due to poor brazing... Which also means that the systems were not evacuated properly to begin with. Shame, shame....

Best find of the summer was when I was called out to a new install to find a leak (they couldn't keep the unit running correctly either) and I knew almost immediately that there was a kink somewhere. So, I went to the last place anyone would want to look (the attic) and found a kink under the insulation. The kink has a small tear in the corner. Recovered, repaired, evacuated, recharged and the homeowners were happy little clams.

I hope I have helped a little and don't come off as the idiot that I was portrayed to be a few pages back.

I think the guy was just mad that I don't like Fieldpile.. Whatev

A lot of posts in this thread.

Ok my problem. They re stucco the building and suspect a staple hit a line inside the wall. Need a way to find the leak area so I only cut one hole in the wall to fix it. Will cut the sheet rock from the inside vs the brand new stucco. The line run's from the attic down 2 stories to the ground.

I'm thinking a stereoscope. Not sure if an ultra sonic would work inside a wall.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast