Leak Detection Tools. - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast
    Obviously my detectors don't react like that vs each other.
    Guess there's only one way to find out if something is wrong with your ZX-1 or I need to replace my SRL2 for a second time. Can I try my detectors with your reference some time Mech?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    Thanks to all your responses. We will continue to look into it.
    I'd buy one at that price ($50.00).
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    I believe the H-10 has a 410a specific sensor. If you want one leak detector for all refrigerants you should use one with an infrared sensor.
    The H-10 has specs for leakrate detection for R-12 and 134-A and the detection rate is much better for R-12 than 134-A.

http://www.synmactech.com/Products/Productpage/H10G.php

Does it seem to reason that 410-A would be detected with less sensitivity than either R-12 or 134-A, or R-22? There has to be a million guys out there with the H-10, has anyone noticed? Thanks

I would think with a fixed reference leak like the one tank will leak more with 410 vs 134 so not really good for comparing like that.
    Have you tried any of your ultrasonic detectors on the leak reference Mech?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I would think with a fixed reference leak like the one tank will leak more with 410 vs 134 so not really good for comparing like that.
    Have you tried any of your ultrasonic detectors on the leak reference Mech?
    The leak rate is more of a seep. Ultrasonics don't seem to work that well in that range even my Accutrak.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by slahac View Post
    The H-10 has specs for leakrate detection for R-12 and 134-A and the detection rate is much better for R-12 than 134-A.

http://www.synmactech.com/Products/Productpage/H10G.php

Does it seem to reason that 410-A would be detected with less sensitivity than either R-12 or 134-A, or R-22? There has to be a million guys out there with the H-10, has anyone noticed? Thanks
    basically, when the leak is large enough to have an effect on the system and somebody has figured out that a leak is likely, the H-10 does just fine.

Ask yourself this- how many systems with a leak rate of .1 oz/year would you actually be trying to find a leak on anyway? Don't get me wrong, but lets get realistic about what we normally use these tools for.

I think it's time for a new sensor on my H-10, and I'm happy to spend the money because of just how damn good it does it's job.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Man I can't make up my mind at all. Now I feel as if the FP or H-10 is the ticket. I gotta get one soon, have a leak in a package unit I can't find.
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Man I can't make up my mind at all. Now I feel as if the FP or H-10 is the ticket. I gotta get one soon, have a leak in a package unit I can't find.
    I've said my opinion, but I think either one would do fine!

You really can't be with one in the summertime.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

My update:

I called Bacharach. I told them I was in the market for a leak detector. I'm not concerned with the price at this point. I asked him what was the best leak detector your company makes. The Informant 2 was his reply. I asked him what about the H-10PM? He said it's a good detector, but I feel the informant is better. He told me that GE made the H-10, they sold out to Yokogawa then were bought by Bacharach. They have no IR detectors unless you wanna spend 9k. Just keeping my findings on this topic alive, going to call Fieldpiece now.
    Always here

So you want to go the infrared route?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    My update:

I called Bacharach. I told them I was in the market for a leak detector. I'm not concerned with the price at this point. I asked him what was the best leak detector your company makes. The Informant 2 was his reply. I asked him what about the H-10PM? He said it's a good detector, but I feel the informant is better. He told me that GE made the H-10, they sold out to Yokogawa then were bought by Bacharach. They have no IR detectors unless you wanna spend 9k. Just keeping my findings on this topic alive, going to call Fieldpiece now.
    I've talked to them too, and I can tell you they are a good bunch of guys, no doubt about it. The guy I talked to did have a belief that IR is they way to go, but let me say this- the most sensitive is not always the best. it's not the only thing that matters. being able to trust the results you get matters too. absence of false positives matter too. flexibility of tuning matters. I can crank the sensitivity of the H-10PM sky high, or I can drop it down, or anywhere in between. when you crank up the sensitivity on the H-10, you shorten sensor life so I wouldn't do it on a lark, but when you need to get the job done, it's there for you.

Do what you wish, there's more than on good leak detector out there. I'm just telling you when guys it a lab, or any office just don't get, and why the H-10 is as cool as it is after all this time. It's the equivalent of a 90's ford pickup. sure there are fancier models out there now with better creature comforts, cup holders and crap like that, but none of that matters when it comes time to get the job done.

That damn thing just plain works, and works well. When is the last time somebody came on here and said that the H-10 sucks balls? hmmmm?? If they took care of it and knew how to use it it doesn't happen.

What ever you do, let us know after a couple of years what you think.

PS- whatever one you get, odds are when CO2 comes out you'll be getting another one anyway.

Stop being paralyzed and get back to work!!!!

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Real happy to report that the SRL2 picks up the "Envirosafe" type refrigerants found in the 609 world really well too.
    One thing I found odd is the manual says not to store the unit with a fully charged battery...??
    Who do I think you are...?

The are 4 sensitivity settings from low to turbo on the SRL2. One case in which I had the unit on high I thought I was getting a false positive because while I was checking the braze at a know leaking unit at the service valves I would get a short hit as I pulled the meter away. It did this about 4 times. I thought maybe it was pools of gas coming from the wall since the hole wasn't sealed so I tried there. I got two more hits as I pulled the meter away there as well.

Turns out that there was a coupling mid way between the wall and the condenser I didn't notice since it was below the suction line. As soon as I placed the unit at the coupling it would hit. I decided it was a good chance to play with the settings. adjusting from high to low stopped the mid air detecting and only hit when I put the tip at the coupling. Not sure the leak rate but was not very bad nor very small. Would leak probably a pound a year since I had last serviced that unit.
    r410a unit
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast