+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Leak Detection Tools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    I believe the H-10 has a 410a specific sensor. If you want one leak detector for all refrigerants you should use one with an infrared sensor.
    My H-10PM is capable with both HCFC's and HFC's. it's a matter of adjusting it properly. Not a big deal. I'm far less concerned about the sensor technology than I am the reliability, repeatability, sensitivity and false positives of a detector. I have a top shelf Infared, but that's where it stays- on the shelf. H-10 is my first line of detection. It takes me to leaks like a strong magnet. I can't tell you how much money I've raked it because of that thing.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Based on feedback and performance reviews, I ordered the Fieldpiece SRL2K7 on Monday. Should be here today. The infrared sensor has a longer service (10yrs) life and should be good for any refrigerant type. We'll see...
    Who do I think you are...?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HAP2 View Post
    Based on feedback and performance reviews, I ordered the Fieldpiece SRL2K7 on Monday. Should be here today. The infrared sensor has a longer service (10yrs) life and should be good for any refrigerant type. We'll see...
    Check out this video on how to use the SRL2K7 because it's just a little different than your typical heated diode. And it does detect all refrigerants on an equal level because of the infrared sensor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9A7cUWRHI

Post Likes
    Check out this video on how to use the SRL2K7 because it's just a little different than your typical heated diode. And it does detect all refrigerants on an equal level because of the infrared sensor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9A7cUWRHI
    Russell would Fieldpiece look at possibly marketing the LS-4 reference leak by HT Products UK for US distribution. http://www.htproducts.co.uk/le​ak/leaksniffer.html I happened to have one given to me and it works very well. Attach to a refrigerant cylinder, of the type being tested for, open the cylinder and test the detector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jGDKNnJss

Thermal is not going to market this item in the US.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechAcc View Post
    Russell would Fieldpiece look at possibly marketing the LS-4 reference leak by HT Products UK for US distribution. http://www.htproducts.co.uk/le​ak/leaksniffer.html I happened to have one given to me and it works very well. Attach to a refrigerant cylinder, of the type being tested for, open the cylinder and test the detector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jGDKNnJss

Thermal is not going to market this item in the US.
    We have one and it's a pretty cool little gadget. Let me ask you this. What would you use it for and how much would you pay for it?

Post Likes
    We have one and it's a pretty cool little gadget. Let me ask you this. What would you use it for and how much would you pay for it?
    Let me jump in Russell.

I'd love to have one and at let's say at 20-25 I think it would sell very well, although I could see an attempt to price them at twice that. I guess in the end I would be happy to buy one at 35-40

It should come with a small case to keep it from getting crap in it. I'm assuming it's a simple device except for the challenge of quality control on the hole size/leak rate.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    Let me jump in Russell.

I'd love to have one and at let's say at 20-25 I think it would sell very well, although I could see an attempt to price them at twice that. I guess in the end I would be happy to buy one at 35-40

It should come with a small case to keep it from getting crap in it. I'm assuming it's a simple device except for the challenge of quality control on the hole size/leak rate.

The problem is they are more like $100. Maybe more. But considering a leak standard that has refrigerant in it can be $1000, this is still a pretty good deal. But are techs willing to spend $100 just to make sure their leak detector works, I am not sure of yet.

Post Likes
    The problem is they are more like $100. Maybe more. But considering a leak standard that has refrigerant in it can be $1000, this is still a pretty good deal. But are techs willing to spend $100 just to make sure their leak detector works, I am not sure of yet.
    Wow. I guess I'm showing my ignorance!

I'm wondering why the cost is as high as that. perhaps I'm not understanding the complexity of the device or manufacturing cost? seems high for what it is, but I know better than to debate the issue with you, I will only say that bacharach produces that little test vial with refrigerant in it for far far less.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    I guess I could see going $60. past that i don't think it's viable in this market, IMO. BTW, it's not portable, but I replaced a evap with multiple small leaks. now that I've identified all of them I use it for experimenting with different leak tests.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Wow. I guess I'm showing my ignorance!

I'm wondering why the cost is as high as that. perhaps I'm not understanding the complexity of the device or manufacturing cost? seems high for what it is, but I know better than to debate the issue with you, I will only say that bacharach produces that little test vial with refrigerant in it for far far less.
    To be honest I don't know why the high price myself. It could be simple as the alternative is hundreds vs. only one hundred for theirs. Or it may be difficult to reproduce something with such strict tolerances. The little vial you are talking about doesn't have a standard leak rate so it can be produced much cheaper. Either way we are looking into to it because you know as well as I do it would be a very useful gadget.

Post Likes
    To be honest I don't know why the high price myself. It could be simple as the alternative is hundreds vs. only one hundred for theirs. Or it may be difficult to reproduce something with such strict tolerances. The little vial you are talking about doesn't have a standard leak rate so it can be produced much cheaper. Either way we are looking into to it because you know as well as I do it would be a very useful gadget.
    Yes, who knows. I'm sure you'll sort it out.

I wanted to mention, I think it's great, and really smart business move that FP has a presence here. Good for you, good for contractors. Keep asking questions, looking for needs in product lines. I think you guys have enormous potential for growth. You could split product lines and develop some novel, innovative tools for HVAC.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Thanks Russ. It is a pretty neat tool. I imagine that when they test the flow rate they may have some failures due to the small rate involved. I just like being able to test the sniffer with any refrigerant.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    Thanks Russ. It is a pretty neat tool. I imagine that when they test the flow rate they may have some failures due to the small rate involved. I just like being able to test the sniffer with any refrigerant.
    What's that function worth to you?

Post Likes
    Ok...Couple/Few questions...

Exactly how would people use this? Do you want to test to make sure your sniffer is working before you go out on a job looking for a leak or something else? How often would you do this? Would this have any other use for technicians?

If you want to use this device to test your sniffer, how are you performing this function now without this device?

Would it be worth $75?, $100?, $150?, $200? to be able to perform this function? (just trying to understand what the cut points are)

What if you just had one that stayed at the shop for everyone to use when they wanted to?

Post Likes
    What's that function worth to you?
    Have to weigh the cost of one LS-4 vs buying a reference leak vial annually. Which depending upon type may run $ 35 to $ 50The LS-4 may pay for itself in 3,4,or 5 years.

As said mine was a present so I don't have the dollar (British pound) cost of the LS-4. I may be too low in this estimate but depending on manufacturing costs $ 100 to $140 for such a tool would not be out of line.

If this item costs more than that I would throw in added benefit of calibrating sniffer with the system refrigerant as an added plus because then my time is not being wasted trying to find a leak with a sniffer that will not detect low levels of a refrigerant. Might go to $ 175

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post

Exactly how would people use this? Do you want to test to make sure your sniffer is working before you go out on a job looking for a leak or something else? How often would you do this? Would this have any other use for technicians?

If you want to use this device to test your sniffer, how are you performing this function now without this device?

Would it be worth $75?, $100?, $150?, $200? to be able to perform this function? (just trying to understand what the cut points are)

What if you just had one that stayed at the shop for everyone to use when they wanted to?

Good points Ault. Many use up the reference vial that may have come with their sniffer and never replaced it.

Some detectors never came with a leak reference and the technician purchasing the detector are unaware of a leak reference.

So many are not testing their sniffers or they are cracking the valve on a refrigerant cylinder an do gross leak test on it. Then cannot find small leaks with afterwards. By testing against a referenced leak they would find that they need to clean or replace tip filters or the sensor is deteriorating in strength. Time is money.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post

Primary for me would be to pre test the leak detector against the refrigerant I'm testing for, in the field. there are many times I wonder about the current condition of the leak detector and this would verify it. The other thing I worry about are false positives, but that's not on topic.

in the field, I use whatever's handy- refrigerant ports, virgin jugs, recovery tanks, manifold gauges. You can usually find something that's giving off a little bit, but you never know how large or small it is, unless it's spewing out refrigerant, in which case it makes the test almost completely pointless. I want a SMALL leak, not a big one.
    As I said before, $60 seems to be the top for me, others will vary. I think a big part of it is in the confidence you get with your instrument. There's always another way to test, see my post above on my old evap coil.

Not for me I don't think. I sort of makes sense for bigger shops though.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Let me jump in Russell.

The one given to me did come in a small storage container.

Post Likes
    Russell I would buy one. Personally I would like to see it come in around $50..

But as others said I have no idea about manufacturing costs..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Russell I would buy one. Personally I would like to see it come in around $50..

But as others said I have no idea about manufacturing costs..
    Thanks to all your responses. We will continue to look into it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in