+ Reply to Thread

Thread: meter questions

Post Likes

meter questions

Ok i read a few posts about the debate between different brands ... I currently have a uei clamp meter ( not sure what model atm) that has no backlight, but does all the stuff i need including temp and such.

I was on the fluke site and was overwhelmed by the many different models .

Soooo my question is what would be the best "service tech" (in training) model to go for in Fluke and UEI.

The UEI i have is an older model and i just want to get a newer one with backlite and the features i will need.

Thanks to all for the input in advance
    Work is such a gas

Post Likes

my meters

I use the fluke 116 and 322. They both stay in my bag at all times. The 322 gets the most use. I usually only use my 116 for temp and checking caps.

I do know that a fieldpiece can do the functions of both these meters but I prefer the display of the fluke.

The only problem that I notice with the fieldpiece (not really a problem) is that you really neet to pay attention to the display and make sure you see where the decimal place is, or make sure that lil m isn't displayed. You may think your getting voltage (low voltage) but your really not getting anything at all.

Post Likes
    In job training or in school?
    If school then go cheap. In school I tried to buy an expensive meter and wound up with a very nice meter that doesnt do what I need in my current job.
    After I was hired I ended up having to by a cheap Amprobe which I still keep around as a beater meter. (It's currently on loan while a newbies UEI gets repaired).

Even if you're in your job I'd probably recommend a cheaper meter to start. It makes the shock of your first 'I shouldn't have done that' moment a little easier when the meter goes crack or poof.

Save the expensive meter for a tool allowance purchase.

Post Likes
    Its for in Job. I have been using my used UEI for the poof moments. My concern was that I let a fellow Electrician use it on something simple and he commented that it jumped alot when measuring voltage ... meaning it did not give the exact reading right away..
    Work is such a gas

Post Likes
    The cheap ones are alright for school but for anything else I always use Fluke meters. I have the 116 and 902 and they've both been going strong for years. My Fieldpiece HS36 on the other hand has had to be sent in for repairs twice. Once voltage was stuck at 1.5mV, second time I just had a little dot on the screen and nothing else. Now amps are reading way higher than the acutal amp draw. (i.e. fan motors usually read 60 or so amps.) I'm done with it. Co-worker uses UEI meters and he ends up sending it in about once a year. I'm sure other's have had better luck than I have, but that's what I've personally delt with as far as meters go. They might be more expensive by they've outlived everything else I've used.

Post Likes
    Take a look at the sc77 from fieldpiece. I have had an sc 76 for years and it does everything I need. Fieldpiece has really good customer service.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    I use a UEI389 and have had only 2 problems in 5 years, both over the counter exchange for new meter.
    I have not had a reason to doubt its performance, but have double checked it at times and found minimal, if any difference.

I have a FP as backup.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    When looking for clamp on ampmeters, I needed a meter that's a True RMS meter. I really like Fieldpiece for many reasons but customer service is among their strongest of pluses. That said, they make both an auto-ranging and manual ranging clamp meter. I selected the SC-77 autoranging because it does all the functions including volts/amps/capacitance/resistance/temperature. It's nice to have it all on one meter, though I still carry a multi-meter in the bag. If you want manual ranging (eliminates the need to decipher the decimal point position) then you can select the SC-67 and get the same other features.

Post Likes
    I'll do some comparing with price and features on the one everyone listed and then go from there . Thank you for all the help and info
    Work is such a gas

Post Likes
    For a meter to keep in my bag at all times, I have a Fluke T5-1000
    To measuring current accurately, I have a Fluke 336
    I have 2 Fluke 116's and a Fluke 77 for my multimeters.
    For my infrared thermometer I use a Fluke 62

As someone with their electrical and refrigeration tickets, I stick with Fluke. They've never done me wrong with their equipment.
    I do three kinds of work.
    1 - Good - 2 - Fast - 3 - Cheap
    Pick two

Post Likes
    You cant go wrong with fluke or fieldpeice they both have top notch equipment. I have 5 different fieldpeice devices and they all make the rest of the techs in my company drool. I prefer Fieldpeice because they are more geared towards HVAC. They also have wonderful little adds like magnetic straps that allow me to get my hands on the leads instead of the meter and the leads. Fluke has several clamps with a lead holder on the clamp but its usually hard for me to read in tight quarters unless I pull the lead off.

I say Fieldpeice because they also have addons you can attach to the meter for about anything an HVAC tech will need.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Fluke 902 and 179

Post Likes
    I got a UEI g2 phoenix because it had a few nice features, reads/shows current and voltage at the same time, nice backlight and led and can use the fieldpiece heads. Its done me right so far. Mainly bought it because the price was right 89. I'll probably use it as a backup meter once I stock up on the rest of my tools and afford myself the fluke 116.

Post Likes
    I have a Feildpiece SC 76 and a Fluke 87V and I would recommend the Fieldpiece for daily use hands down. The Fluke is more responsive and has a faster refresh rate, has a bigger screen, and has a few more features (min max, hold, etc). On a daily basis though the Fieldpiece does everything I need and I bet the more expensive ones are comparable to my expensive Fluke. The Fluke has to be sent in to calibrate which is a pain when you tempature is 4 degrees high and it takes 3-6 weeks to send it in and have it calibrated. The Feildpiece you can calibrate at lunch with a glass of ice water. The accesories for a Fluke are expensive ($120 for amp clamp, $140 for clamp pipe themp probe, $20 for K type adapater). I would strongly recommend that Fieldpiece SC76, or the metere that accepts all different heads, for running service

Post Likes
    i had UEI DL389 and was a great meter until i let the magic white smoke out. i was a bit upset when i took meter apart to find there wasnt any fuse so it was $300 up in smoke. i replaced it with a FP SC77 and i love it! It really is just a matter of what is most comfortable to you. go to the supply house and pick a few up, see how they work. I am happy with my fieldpiece but it may not be the meter for you. Until you use it on a daily basis it's hard to know if you are happy with your meter.

Post Likes

uei good

i have had my uei dl379 for two yrs, no problems, magnet built in is nice acc,
    price is good

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech56 View Post
    i had UEI DL389 and was a great meter until i let the magic white smoke out. i was a bit upset when i took meter apart to find there wasnt any fuse so it was $300 up in smoke. i replaced it with a FP SC77 and i love it! It really is just a matter of what is most comfortable to you. go to the supply house and pick a few up, see how they work. I am happy with my fieldpiece but it may not be the meter for you. Until you use it on a daily basis it's hard to know if you are happy with your meter.
    I do not know how long you had it, but they have a 5-7 year warranty.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech56 View Post
    i had UEI DL389 and was a great meter until i let the magic white smoke out. i was a bit upset when i took meter apart to find there wasnt any fuse so it was $300 up in smoke. i replaced it with a FP SC77 and i love it!
    I'm just wondering if you have opened up that FP SC77 to see if it has a fuse in it. I've never owned a clamp meter that had a fuse in it, not even the Flukes I have owned. I doubt that SC77 is fused either.

And, $300 for for a UEI 389? That seems awful high. Is it a collectors edition or something???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Ok i read a few posts about the debate between different brands ... I currently have a uei clamp meter ( not sure what model atm) that has no backlight, but does all the stuff i need including temp and such.

I was on the fluke site and was overwhelmed by the many different models .

Soooo my question is what would be the best "service tech" (in training) model to go for in Fluke and UEI.

The UEI i have is an older model and i just want to get a newer one with backlite and the features i will need.

Thanks to all for the input in advance
    I started with a Fluke T5 and it was great to start. The speed it read at was impressive for a beginner meter. Though it was long until I needed something with more options. My second meter was a Fieldpiece hs33. It's a versatel meter for the hvac/r trade. Good for doing all your basic readings and troubleshooting. Where it lacks is ohming, temperature and microfern range. The read speed was also slower than the fluke T5. I recently got a hand on a Fluke 116 and find it much more accurate, but bulky to take on everyday service calls and pricey when it comes to attachments. There's honestly no replacement when it comes to condemning a compressor that has <2m ohms to ground. Wish it came with more attachments. I'm now looking to either purchase a Fieldpiece Hs36 or Lt17aw. The thought of a wireless clamp with the versatility that Fieldpiece offers is alluring. I do notice when others go with Fluke they need to carry at least two meters in the service pack. Where as Fieldpiece offers all the basic needs in one meter. What ever you decide on keep in mind that your going to want a quality TRMS brick meter with fuse protection in the van ready for the bigger issues that may come into play.

Edit: Forgot to add that if your looking for a easy to pack meter with light display take a look at Fieldpiece Hs36 or SC77. I prefer the Hs series myself because of the detachable amp clamp.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in