Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    Maybe ill look into that JB. Its made in the USA.

I have no clue about that elctrochemical sensor tho. Kinda makes me nervous trying something new...
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I have used the MARS H10PM with very good success. It is a little pricey at around $400 if my memory serves me. It has a chargeable battery. It is very accurate.

Features and Benefits:

* Built in battery
    * Detects all CFC, HFC and HCFC refrigerants
    * Unique sensor calibration system
    * Pinpoints large and small leaks
    * Manual and automatic sensitivity adjustment
    * Heated diode technology
    Last edited by texas2golfer; 06-27-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Maybe ill look into that JB. Its made in the USA.

I have no clue about that elctrochemical sensor tho. Kinda makes me nervous trying something new...
    It says two year warranty including the sensor for the J/B

Three year including the sensor on the UEi

I don't think you would be impressed by the F/P I/R other than its easier to operate and more convenient than your H10

If you want better I think you'll have to try something new

WFIW I didn't care for the look or feel of the J/B but I like the bar graph vs the numbers on the UEi
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

inficon Dtek Select

I have the inficon Dtek Select and it has been very good to me
    Life is to short to sweat the little thing in life!

I have the Johnson Controls RLDH-10PM, the Infocon Detec Select, and have used the old CPS, TIF, and the First gen Infocon Detec.

Additionally I own a CTRL 101 ultrasonic.

The Detec select is fairly responsive but is annoyingly fast in it's auto correct to ambient refrigerant levels. When it dampens it's response it should have a second bar graph to tell you how much it is choking off it's sensitivity. Rhat way you know what it's doing when and it would tell you when it goes back to normal too. If you combined that with it's propensity for false alarms from fast movements or air streams the Select come across as flaky even if it really isn't.

Not so with the H-10PM It is highly sensitive without false alarms. It also allows you to adjust the sensitivity to your liking and to be aware of how the unit is set, unlike others where you must accept the programming from the MFG even when you have no clue what it's doing! Just because the H-10 is old and looks outdated you would be wise to not discount it. The H-10PM is one fine leak detector.

It should be noted that the H-10's require maintenance, but they are entirely field serviceable from what I have seen. Parts are available online and the battery is easily obtained locally. It is a common lead acid sealed battery.

I really like my CTRL 101, but it's still new to me. I have experimented with it and so far I have only been able to detect leaks that had bubble solution or at least water or some other liquid. When that is the case the leak will light up the detector like a Christmas tree. Another benefit of ultrasonic is that is HIGHLY, HIGHLY directional. There are basically no phantom readings. If you can hear the leak you are pointed at it!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Thanks agent. That was good advice. I was just looking for something portable. I suppose I should have went with the pm. For now I'll use the cord lol. I hate false alarms. I had that problem using my bros tif.

How much was that ultrasonic. Looks expensive

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

From the last two days I'm two for two with my old Amprobe but they were big leaks. Got one right thru the insulation from three feet away.
    I'm gonna order the AccuTrak VPE since I've used one and they are much better than the Amprobe I have and will let you know how it goes with some smaller leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    From the last two days I'm two for two with my old Amprobe but they were big leaks. Got one right thru the insulation from three feet away.
    I'm gonna order the AccuTrak VPE since I've used one and they are much better than the Amprobe I have and will let you know how it goes with some smaller leaks.
    I just saw the VPE in ACHR News. Yea let me know what you think. Maybe ill give ultrasonic a Shot... How much is the VPE?

I've seen a big range on those.
    Seen 280 on the low end. Hundred more at other places

I just saw the VPE in ACHR News. Yea let me know what you think. Maybe ill give ultrasonic a Shot... How much is the VPE?
    Why doesn't all the manufactures make a ultrasonic leak detector?

Have you ever tried to use one Pascone?

If not I can probably get one to you to try out. I think I have some laying in my father's old shop.

Ultrasonic's are all about hearing the leak.....so they work better when it's quiet. Hmm.....good luck with that. Also, wind makes noise. Hmm.

I got to ask Pascone.....what are you looking for? The perfect machine to find any leak you encounter? I would say there is no such thing.

My best advice is to focus on what leaks you weren't able to find and what you could have done to find them. Most of the time it's you weren't able to access or it was to difficult to access the area you really needed to check.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, but I just can't see a decent sniffer, a bottle of bubbles, and the will power to look at every joint......not finding a leak.

Maybe I have been lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post

If not I can probably get one to you to try out. I think I have some laying in my father's old shop.

Ultrasonic's are all about hearing the leak.....so they work better when it's quiet. Hmm.....good luck with that. Also, wind makes noise. Hmm.

I got to ask Pascone.....what are you looking for? The perfect machine to find any leak you encounter? I would say there is no such thing.

My best advice is to focus on what leaks you weren't able to find and what you could have done to find them. Most of the time it's you weren't able to access or it was to difficult to access the area you really needed to check.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, but I just can't see a decent sniffer, a bottle of bubbles, and the will power to look at every joint......not finding a leak.

Maybe I have been lucky?

Well you are the man CJ!

I started this thread looking for a cordless unit (open to ideas on the technology) to supplement my H10. I like the H 10 a lot I just wanted something good and battery operated. The biggest thing is I dont want junk. The battery powered CPS Sucks!

SO that about sums it up. Just looking for something to add to the arsenal. I wanted to hear from the guys that use them and their recommendations..

BTW that accutrak is not supposed to be influenced by wind.

Check it out

superiorsignal dot com

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post

Maybe I have been lucky?
    The VPE is hardly affected by ambient. I've used it a few times. I guess it still is affected by Fluorescents per a few guys here but you can still hear the difference between a leak and a light unlike other Ultrasonics.
    They say the more expensive unit is even better but I'm not dropping that coin on one. They say get a good set of headphones and you'll be in good shape with the VPE.

BTW that accutrak is not supposed to be influenced by wind.
    This is one of the main reasons I'm getting one over another electronic. It will be better on a a windy roof.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast