Cold Freezer/Hot Refrigerator

To start off with, I am a new member and hope I am posting this in the correct area.

I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator with Top Freezer that is about 1 1/2 years old. The freezer is at -19F and the refrigerator is at 68F. The model number is ET1FTKXKQA10 and is is a Self Defrosting Unit. Does anyone have any idea as to why this would happen and how to repair it? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your lacking airflow between the freezer and fresh food compartment. Now the reason why could be several things. You just need to find the reason.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

there is a passage way from the freezer to the fridge it sounds like it froze up between there u can pull the cover and get in ther with a screw driver or let it defrost make sure the fan is working also

Smile

Thank you jim & bubba for your replies. I have checked the damper and freezer drain hole after defrosting the refrigerator/freezer and both are ok.........now I am waiting for it to get cold again to see if what I did worked. Again, Thanks.
    RAF1

Another possibility is that the evaporator fan is not working. The freezer would stay cold because the evaporator coil is in the freezer compartment, but without the fan to circulate the air into the refrigerator compartment it will not cool properly. Hope this helps.

Adam

Adam: Thanks, I neglected to mention earlier that when I took the back off inside the freezer to get to the drain hole, I plugged it in and the fan ran (unless there is more than one fan in there. At this point, I am just going to have to wait a while to see if it cools down in the refrigerator.......it's 104.1 F outside my house and this refer sits in my garage so it probably will take a while.
    I just plugged it in about 6:00 am this morning.
    RAF1

Talking

SUCCESS. After replacing the fan and plugging it in, refer temperature was 37F and freezer was 0 F. It took a solid 24 hours to get to that temperature but it worked. Thanks to all who helped me.
    Bob

In your previous post, you mention that your fan worked, but then the next post, you stated that you replaced it. Can you explain?

Thanks!1

Watch it for a couple of days and see if the trouble comes back. Could be that the defrost timer or heater is bad, and allowing the duct to ice up., blocking air flow to the refer section. I've seen em plug so bad that the ice actually blocked the fan blades and caused the refer section to warm up.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wjmena View Post
    In your previous post, you mention that your fan worked, but then the next post, you stated that you replaced it. Can you explain?

Thanks!1
    The reason I replaced the fan is because after taking it out I bench tested it and it ran for about 30 seconds and quit. I figured that it was an intermitant problem with the fan and so I replaced it. That seems to have cured the problem because now the refrigerator and the freezer are working fine.