Outside compressor makes loud noise when starting

I have a Frigidair FS5BD system.....When it starts up, it makes a god awful noise for about 1-2 seconds, then runs and cools fine....The unit is about 4 yrs old and is on the first floor....

I can't get any warranty work as we bought the house new, but was a short sale, and the product never got registered...

Any Ideas???

Thx

Sounds like liquid refrigerant is returning to the compressor. That's not supposed to happen, as compressors aren't designed to pump liquid. The unit could be overcharged.

Find a competent tech and get your system checked out. He may have info about any warranty, or may not. Either way you can't let the system keep running like that.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I did find out that the parts are still under warranty for 8 years.....

If it is refrigerant is returning to the compressor, is it usually a valve gone bad or simply just overcharged....

It only recently started making this noise...

Thx

It could have been making that sound before you bought the house. It may occur only under certain indoor and outdoor conditions.

Your tech will be the best source of info as to what's causing the sound.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Where is the indoor unit? Attic maybe?

My FT4BD heat pump does the same thing. I have 50' of piping and a LOT of refrigerant. Common complaint with some of these high SEER units with plenty of "go juice".

Attic coils can drain liquid refrigerant in the off season causing this noise too.

Depending upon when it was installed, it didn't need to be registered to get the 8 year parts & 8 year replacement pledge.

Had one repair man come out thru our 1 year home warranty company....He said that it should not sound like that, but there was nothing wrong with the unit....

I then called out someone out on my own. Every thing checked out fine, but for kicks he checked the output of the capacitor, and it was apparently not putting out enough juice....

he swapped it out, and the AC quit making noise on startup....