Oh how I love older systems. (Siebe)

Oh how I love older systems. (Siebe)

I have a site with a Siebe GCM-86120. I have Tree Tech software, and what is supposedly the database, but it comes up blank when I open it. I am connected with a USB/DB9 converter with null modem cable. Nothing seems to talks and when I establish communications I get an error in one of the windows, "ERROR: No Equipment Segment in Database." Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Something in their system is cycling their cooling stages on/off very frequently and they want to try and keep their new compressors healthy.

Thanks!!
    Nobody knows it ALL. That's why we share.

Have you tried terminal mode?

Honestly, this is the first I've touched Siebe, or this software. I tried contacting a local company to see if they would help out, but their one guy who knows this stuff is on vacation. Go figure. Anyway, I'm not even sure that it was trying to communicate out now since I opened Hyperterminal at the same time and it used the same COM port. I have to assume then Tree Tech wasn't actually using it and going out to the system. I can't find any configuration in the program for communications. Any suggestions?
    Nobody knows it ALL. That's why we share.

I second control$. Terminal Mode is the way to go. Connect with your serial cable to the GCM and open up hyperterminal.

jgraham

Does he have a DB-9 comm. port on the PC he's using? He mentioned he was using a USB converter.

Use a db-9 pin cable if its available on the machine - usb converters can work, but sometimes are a bit more picky than a direct 9 pin.
    Settings:
    Bits per second: 2400, Data bits: 8, Parity: none, stop bits:1, Flow Control: none
    Hit enter a few times when you get to the blank screen with the ".." at the top, and if you've done everything right it should ask for a user and pass.