Confused Carrier 25HNA bad compressor?

Hey everyone... I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion on whether or not I have a bad compressor or if it is just the starter relay on a 25HNA624A300 Carrier infinity unit. Just so everyone knows I have already hired an HVAC tech. I get the following fault codes 71-thermal cutout in low stage, 72-Thermal cutout in high stage, and 85-low contactor open. When the temp out side is 90 plus the unit will struggle to keep the house cool. I set temp for 74 and it will rise to 80 plus during the afternoon. When it cools off during the evening the unit seems to work okay. My HVAC tech siad my compressor was overheating and had my wife run the hose over it for an hour. Something doesnt sound right with this course. He stated if it got the fault codes again the compressor was bad. The compressor is under warrenty but parts and labor are gonna run me 825. I have no prob paying it if it is the problem. Any thoughts? By the way this unit was purchased and installed in Sept 2006. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jlock View Post
    Hey everyone... I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion on whether or not I have a bad compressor or if it is just the starter relay on a 25HNA624A300 Carrier infinity unit. Just so everyone knows I have already hired an HVAC tech. I get the following fault codes 71-thermal cutout in low stage, 72-Thermal cutout in high stage, and 85-low contactor open. When the temp out side is 90 plus the unit will struggle to keep the house cool. I set temp for 74 and it will rise to 80 plus during the afternoon. When it cools off during the evening the unit seems to work okay. My HVAC tech siad my compressor was overheating and had my wife run the hose over it for an hour. Something doesnt sound right with this course. He stated if it got the fault codes again the compressor was bad. The compressor is under warrenty but parts and labor are gonna run me 825. I have no prob paying it if it is the problem. Any thoughts? By the way this unit was purchased and installed in Sept 2006. Thanks!
    Those compressors have had start issues from the beginning and it could very well be the compressor. I would replace the start components first as there could be an issue with them. Also if it has a "003" circuit board it should be updated to the latest board. All of those were covered for 5 years but it depends on your start-up date. At least do the start components because you will want them replaced with the compressor anyway.

Ok, just noticed you said it was installed in Sept. 2006 so those parts are all still under warranty.

I've had two carriers that gave the same error codes (minus the open contactor) because of failed TXVs that were not opening, causing very high superheat and eventually the compressor shut down on the internal overload. Ask your tech to check the superheat. If that is not the problem, as said before, have him change the start components out before he condemns the compressor. Be sure he uses OEM parts. Good luck to you.

You need more than just a "HVAC tech" you need a Carrier dealer. Hopefully you are using the installing dealer (and they are still a Carrier dealer) or you have found this company through the carrier website. You have gotten a couple of good responses from knowledgeable pros that know your units. Make sure your tech is one as well.

I've found over the years younger techs like to jump to complicated problems. If the compressor runs, it's probably fine, at only 5 years old. I would guess you have a case of good old low on charge. Have another tech come out for a 2cd opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by shhvac14 View Post
    I've had two carriers that gave the same error codes (minus the open contactor) because of failed TXVs that were not opening, causing very high superheat and eventually the compressor shut down on the internal overload. Ask your tech to check the superheat. If that is not the problem, as said before, have him change the start components out before he condemns the compressor. Be sure he uses OEM parts. Good luck to you.
    To EGADS...it is a authorized carrier dealer, sorry.
    I spoke with him today and he stated the compressor is overheating and shutting down. That the charge was good and this is why they suspect the compressor. I appreciate the responses. He is coming out tomorrow to replace the compressor but it sounds as if there is a possibility of a different problem.