Thread: A supplemental opinion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Question

I've owned a place for about a year now and was just having some work done on my heat pump.

I've got a contractor, I really like and trust, though I don't have much history with him. I'd like to run what he's told me past some proffesionals, not so much to get a second opinion as to get a supplement to what he's told me.

Initially he replaced the compressor in the heat exchanger and repaired a leak in the return piping to the compressor.

In doing so he noticed the pressures on the return line were much higher than they should have been. Looking for the source of this problem, he's found two issues.

First, the heat exchanger is too large for the furnace. The heat pump is a Trane HP26-036-7P and the furnace is a CB29M-41-1P which don't match up according to ARI tables in Trane's engineering handbooks.

The other problem is that he doesn't think the installer filled the copper lines with an inert gas when soldering them together and the interior of the pipe is flaking off and plugging up the expansion valve.

He'll be replacing the expansion valve this week and will try to clean out that line.

My question is how poorly will the mis-sized units function together? He says it will do better in cooling than heating? Are we talking 80% efficient or 40% efficient?

Also has anyone else had similar problems with copper lines not being installed right and then plugging up the expansion valve?

Thanks,

Post Likes
    First, by heat exchanger is he refering to the indoor coil? Second, yes weld crap can get to the metering device if nitro wasn't used during brazing. Have him put a bi-flow filter drier about 6 inches from the expansion valve. Don't forget there is another orifice out by the condenser for the heat cycle. Systems should be matched, and you have to be an engineer with all the figures to tell you exactly how much effiency it will lose.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

Smile

Smokin68,

Thanks. The heat exchanger is an outdoor heat pump. I probably mis-spoke myself.

the technician said he cleaned out the liquid line returning to the heat pump so not to worry about that side. Would that be the orifice you were talking about for the heating cycle?

I am an Engineer myself but a Civil one. I suppose that makes me too curious for my own good. All this fascinates me but it just makes the wife either too hot or too cold!

Thanks again,

Post Likes
    yes, but I'd still use a new bi flow filter drier up by the metering device. JMO

Post Likes
    If by return line you were talking about the big line.
    in the cooling mode, if dirt was plugging up the txv, the pressure in that line would be low.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

Post Likes
    My understanding is the line from the furnace to the heat pump was cleanned out. That was the line with the leak in it. It was also the line that registared too high of pressure.

The line that is being fixed this next week is the line from the heat pump to the furnace.

I'm thinking the unit would be running in heating mode. Though I'm positive under which operating mode he got the high pressures.

Could the higher than expected pressures come from the mis-matched unit sizes?

Appreciating all your inputs,

Post Likes
    Yes, that is a possibility.

The liquid line, is the return line in heat mode.
    The big line(vapor) is the return line in cooling mode.

Post Likes
    In a heatpump, the liquid line is the liquid line(sm copper line) in both heating and cooling, just flowing refrigerant in different directions. The suction line(big copper line) is the suction line in cooling mode, and the hot gas line in heating mode. I repeat, he has to clean out both metering devices and install the new filter drier.As far as cleaning one line at a time, that won't cut it because as soon as you start it up you have the remaining crap distributed through the entire system unless the drier catches it.

Post Likes
    They look like LENNOX model numbers to me????
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    Yes, they are Lennox numbers.

My appologies for mis-lableing them.

-Jason

Post Likes
    2.5 ton air handler, 3 ton heat pump. match not listed by lennox.

Post Likes

Question Match not listed by Lennox

Thanks for looking up that they are not a match. I was able to get some stuff on line that confirmed that myself.

My question is what does that mean? Specifically why are they not a match? Too little surface area on the coils inside the furnace? Too big of a fan?

And then will it matter? Am I just spending a little more money than I could be due to wasted efficiency? Will I burn out compressors too quickly? Will it not be able to produce heat in the winter?

And finally is there anything that can be done short of replacing the furnace to make them work better together?

Thanks,
    Jason

Post Likes

An update

Just wanted to pass on an update to everybody here. Sorry it's been a little while.

When the contractor was out replacing the expansion valve at the furnace he noticed that I had the "Green slime" and that the whole system would have to be replaced.

Luckily, my wife and I were at a position to be able to have the additional work done at now. Which they completed just last week, including replacing the furnace with a unit sized for the heat exchanger.

We also had them replace the thermostat while they were doing the work.

Since then the house has been amazingly better. It holds a steady temperature and the furnace isn't running all the time.

As an aside, I've heard some other people say that they had bad experiances with the company whose name was on the original unit. From what I can tell, I'm fairly certain they are out of buisness by now.

Thanks again for the help from this board.
    -Jason

Post Likes

Question

The green slime?
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in