Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've been doing A LOT of reading on here, and I think I am ready to make a purchase. I have talked to four contractors about York, Amana, Carrier, and Trane systems. We elected to go with a Trane. Here's what we're getting (all Trane):

Trane XL14i (R410a)
    4TEE3F37 VS air handler
    TTHUMD300ABM00A Humidifier
    TCONT802-7 Programmable stat

14.3 SEER / 8.5 HSPF

Anyone have any feedback on this equipment? From my research, I feel we are purchasing a very nice system that ought to keep us comfortable year-round in Central PA.

I love it!! Good choice!

You may want to look at the Trane electronic air cleaner as well. With the 1,000 reabte it should also pay for it. It really does what it was designed to do! I would not have another system without it!

Here is their latest promotion!
    When you buy a Trane XLi total comfort system between September 1 and October 31, 2005, you also get up to $1,000 back in mail-in rebates. A total system includes the air conditioner or heat pump plus the indoor variable-speed gas furnace or air handler, Trane air cleaner or humidifier and Trane programmable thermostat. The Trane XL19i is among the most efficient air conditioners you can buy with an efficiency rating up to 19.5 SEER*. Rebates are also available on other models so ask your participating dealer for details. Systems must be installed by November 18, 2005.

[Edited by kevinmac on 09-19-2005 at 04:44 PM]

once the condenser coils stop up in about 2 yrs. youll lose
    your efficiency. and after about 8 yrs youl have already replaced a condenser motor and capacitors. unless your lucky enough to have a real technition look at the condenser and take all the panels off to clean it. but from what i see thats not likely. i would also get an extended evap coil warranty.

carriers perfromance series 14 seer system would be a better choice for service and reliability.

OK, Airworx... I am guessing you are not a fan of spine fin coils? What makes Carrier so much better than Trane? Trying to learn before we pull the trigger....

Carrier uses very tight fin spacing. Doesn't take much dust to plug between the fins but the rain will keep the surface clean so you & fast techs (the ones that won't clean a issues.

Originally posted by kevinmac
    You may want to look at the Trane electronic air cleaner as well. With the 1,000 reabte it should also pay for it. It really does what it was designed to do! I would not have another system without it!

[Edited by kevinmac on 09-19-2005 at 04:44 PM]
    Your asking him to spend another $700 to save $1,000

""And those numbers are just numbers, not actual figuers""
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

With the specific system we chose, we are getting a $350 rebate for the base XL14i unit w/ VS air handler, and another $350 rebate for purchasing the Programmable stat / Humidifier combo.

Per site rules, I will not post prices, but I CAN tell you that this system was very competative with comparable systems quoted by Carrier dealers.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Carrier uses very tight fin spacing. Doesn't take much dust to plug between the fins but the rain will keep the surface clean so you & fast techs (the ones that won't clean a issues.
    (Infinity has a rebate too, I guess you know. They didn't have a rebate on the Trane when I was looking and it turned out to be much more expensive even comparing the Carrier to a lower efficiency Trane)
    About the dirt- I have an old Carrier which I did not get serviced for 11 years. I used to hose off the outside coil when I thought of it about once a year. When it was cleaned by my installer of the Infinity they used a foaming solution and there was hardly any dirt on it. I believe I read here that the Trane's coil is more delicate and therefore the louvered cabinet. And I also seem to have read here that it was the Trane coil that attracted dirt more easily.

Smile

this is silly!
    condensor coils should be cleaned at least yearly. this is not rocket science. your installing tech should show you this. this is one of the many things you as the home owner can do to prolong the life and efi of your equipment. brand is irrelavant. if you dont feel comfortable doing this then i am sure your installing contractor can arrange a seasonal check for you.
    the surrounding conditions are more important. gravel dust, smog, cotton wood fuzz, bushes, grass.
    as far as the carrier being better comment, they are going to a louvered cabinet soon anyway.

Sounds like a decent system to me... maybe you should let me barrow it for a lil just to be sure though.

The only thing I don't like about it is the humidifier. Don't really need one on a HP since it doesn't seem to dry the air as bad. But, if you live where you need some humidity, and it keeps you comfortable, then by all means get it installed ;-).

Check with your electric company and see if they have any rebates for isntalling new higher seer equipment (and good electric rates).

Oh, and take pix when it's done so we can see it isntalled.

I have a TRANE XL14i regular Air conditioner.
    My service tech cleans the coils every year by hosing down with water. He even said I could do it, but this is something that is part of my yearly prep for summer use so cleaning the spin fin coils is not an issue for me.

Three of my neighbors have Lennox. They are in the back just like mine. The fins are full of dirt i mean you walk by it and just see it. The neighbors don't care about it either they just say "Oh Yeah they are dirty aren't they"

I think a lot of folks have opinions, but there were two studies one done by the US Navy, which showed the SPine fin (Trane) to be more effecient and last lot longer than the typical copper/aluminum in seacoast communities. A second study below also showed the Spine Fin coil hold up it's effeciency for a longer period of time as compared to the copper/aluminum.

"Most recently, a study conducted at the Ray Herrick laboratories of Purdue University in 2001, showed that a typical system's efficiency degrades twice as much with enhanced plate fin versus Spine Fin® when a three to four-year buildup of graded dust is present. Even in the event that Spine Fin® is loaded with more particulate than enhanced plate fin, more system efficiency is retained with Spine Fin! This study proves the fact that surface loading and clogging are not typical to Spine Fin®."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast