Hello---great board! My problem---I live just north of Tampa, FL & I've been having several problems with my a/c since moving into my new house last October. I have 2 Carrier heat pump, 3.5 ton units(38EYG) for a 3100 sq. ft. 2-story house. Everything is single stage--builder (U.S. Homes) wouldn't allow me to upgrade even though I wanted variable speed equipment! Anyway, the problem I'm now having is that water is dripping from the evaporator coil onto my electronic air cleaner on the 2nd floor unit. This is the same unit that the builder was supposed to replace the evaporator coil on because they got it caked up with sheet rock dust during construction but they wound up only cleaning the evaporator coil. The house was stuffy all winter & I had numerous problems with my heat & a/c which were gradually fixed. The installer didn't supervise the original installation & messed things up with the a/c & even the I-joists in my house & they still send either kids just out of school (nothing wrong with that as long as they know what they're doing) or 'techs' that have never seen electronic air cleaners before! I know that water & electricity don't mix & the air cleaner makes an incredibly loud ZAP when water drips on it.
    Any ideas what might cause this? Should the evaporator coil have been replaced instead of cleaned (it's not shiny anymore, looks kind of bleached now. I know it was cleaned with a base solution)?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated--I've even complained to Carrier about the a/c company the builder wants to keep sending out (the same company that installed it).
    Thanks

Yeah...they didnt clean the coil well enough.

Looks like you're gonna have to keep calling til they fix the problem.
    Sounds like something got knocked out of level or the condensate drain is plugged.
    Is this an "upflow" furnace?

Wow! You guys are great! That's a faster response than I got from the service company! Yes, this is an upflow unit. The condensate drain isn't plugged, everything drains fine so I guess either they didn't clean it good enough or it's out of level.
    I just got off the phone with Carrier customer care (what a misnomer :-)), I was supposed to get a call from a local Carrier rep or whatever but they just had the original company I can't stand contact me. After going round & round with a 'senior advisor' for a few minutes I asked to speak to her supervisor & she refused then I asked to speak to her manager & she refused! Amazing.
    Thanks all--keep the ideas coming in! I love learning about all this!

Could be the static pressure pulling the moisture off of the coil and over the drainpan. Coil should have at least been removed to be cleaned with a powerwasher....drywall dust is nasty.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

You're not kidding it's nasty--it looked like this mud when they removed the cabinet door. Yuck. The guy sprayed this base-cleaner stuff on, waited a few minutes then sprayed water on it & vacuumed it all out of the condensate line from outside. And they still never cleaned the junk off the fan. Same stuff caked up on that too!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Is it an air handler,if yes,then high static can pull water off the coil,even in a vertical install.I'd have it checked,a Tell-tale sign is the galvanized blower ,just above the coil has "white spots" from moisture droplets being splattered there,after some runtime.

We are north of Tampa ,but don't work for US homes,not sure who does their work,but I'd think they'd resolve this,how many trips have they made?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The blower wheel,needs to be cleaned ,the cups are likely partially filled with drywall dust.

And unplug the eac before you burn up the powerpack.

I'm sorry, in my aggravated state earlier this afternoon I see that I neglected to add some key info---yes, it is an air handler in a vertical install. The eac is installed on the bottom of the air handler and water is dripping mostly on the rear filter grid(the eac has 2 grids). Dash--by blower I assume you mean the fan. If it is, I can't tell if water is being thrown onto it because of the amount of sheet rock dust that's caked onto it. The main reason for the amount of sheet rock dust was the fact that the builder decided to replace a wall about 3' away from the air handler. The cups of the blower wheel aren't partially filled--they're completely filled. US Homes agreed to have a 2nd company do some other a/c repairs (specifically the eac due to installer errors) but they were more interested with making their next appointment than finishing everything they needed to do with me.
    You guys have been a great help, not just with my post but by educating me though other people's posts. Between your knowledge & some tidbits passed on by my 2 brother-in-laws in NY (a/c people) I've learned a lot that allows me to see what's right & what's not & most of all be more knowledgeable when talking with the builder.