+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SORIT VALVE

Post Likes

SORIT VALVE

Anybody know the numbers on this Sporlan SORIT valve? It is 1 3/8" doing 36' island ff. The only marking on the valve is sporlan. I need a rebuild kit or the whole valve!

Post Likes
    That's a Sorit PI valve.

Not terribly familiar with those, but I know that you can get rebuild kits for them.

Post Likes
    Hey JP! I have not seen a sporlan with no pilot gas Parker yes but not sporlan. A regular sporlan 15 rebuild will definantlynot work! It has a manual stem on the back I turned all the way in and valved off the hot gas for defrost. Need to locate valve or rebuild kit! Tryed sporlans website did not see it there

Post Likes
    Whats the PI stand for?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NANOTECH View Post
    Anybody know the numbers on this Sporlan SORIT valve? It is 1 3/8" doing 36' island ff. The only marking on the valve is sporlan. I need a rebuild kit or the whole valve!
    I ordered a few of those the part # I used is from this pdf

http://www.parker.com/literature/Spo...276_022005.pdf

Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    The PI valves have their information stamped on the valves body. You would need to remove that pipes insulation to reveal what you are looking for

Post Likes
    NANOTECH
    what is the issue you are having with that valve? is it not opening at all or does it close up after being on for a while after the hot gas defrost cycle? what type of cases Hill Hussmann?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NANOTECH View Post
    Unlike the SORIT valve, the SORIT-PI valve does not require a high pressure vapor souce to pilot the valve closed. This allows it to be installed at the fixture (loop systems) where the high pressure vapor is not available. They should not be piloted with liquid. It was brought out to compete with Parker's SPORT valve, prior to Parker's acquisition of Sporlan.

That's an older style PI valve in the photo. Hard to say which size it is, as all port sizes were available with 1-3/8'' connections.

The original valve did not use an external pilot tube. The "new and improved" valve does.

You will have to replace the piston and pilot assembly together, as both of these are different than what was used in the original style valve. And replacing only the piston, or only the pilot, will result in a valve that doesn't operate.

The pilot assembly kit has the 1/4" pilot tube included in it, but you'll need to drill a hole in the outlet fitting of the valve so it can be brazed in. Make sure there is a small amount of pressure in the system when drilling that hole so you've limit the possibility of copper debris ending up inside the system....and yes, that amount of refrigerant being expelled into the atmosphere would be considered "de minimus"....lol.

Here's the instructions for replacing the parts and upgrading to the new style.

Post Likes
    Bunny any idea why one of those new valves would start closing up after a hot gas defrost or when they leave the door open fir a while? The box goes to about 1 deg F and then pres and temp rises. I manual the stem on the sorit valve and return it back to normal and works fine for a while. If they leave the door open for a while which disables CME liq sol at the box and Sorit valve at rack when door closes presure won't come down at sorit valve stays at about 35psi I know this box can go down to about - 14

Post Likes
    Bunny any idea why one of those new valves would start closing up after a hot gas defrost or when they leave the door open fir a while? The box goes to about 1 deg F and then pres and temp rises. I manual the stem on the sorit valve and return it back to normal and works fine for a while. If they leave the door open for a while which disables CME liq sol at the box and Sorit valve at rack when door closes presure won't come down at sorit valve stays at about 35psi I know this box can go down to about - 14

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gban View Post
    Looking at how this valve operates, there are only a few things that would make it stay closed when it should be open.

The PI valves uses inlet pressure to force the piston closed for defrost, or also to throttle the valve closed in order to maintain a consistent evaporator pressure. As such, there has to be a path to vent the pressure out of the piston chamber to allow the piston to open.

If the vent path is restricted, it will not allow the higher pressure in the piston chamber to bleed off, and this will keep the valve closed. In the old style valve (without the external pilot tube) the bleed was in the valve piston. In the new style valve, the bleed is through the open pathway in the pilot valve when de-energized, and then through an orifice in outlet fitting connecting to the pilot tube. You can remove the 1/4" flare on the pilot tube and make sure that small orifice is not plugged.

If the pilot valve which allows the inlet pressure to pressurize the piston chamber doesn't seal correctly (trash, etc) it will supply a constant flow of refrigerant at the inlet pressure to the piston chamber...preventing it from opening.

When this valve is de-energized it opens the pilot valve, creating a pathway for the inlet pressure to pressurize the piston chamber....closing the main valve piston. If for some reason somebody got a little over zealous in their attempt to eliminate rack leaks, and over torqued the pilot valve enclosing tube nut, it will deform the chamber that the plunger is supposed to travel in when the coil is energized. In fact, it will prevent it from moving at all when the valve is energized, keeping the pilot valve in the closed position. This should be between 10 - 12 ft-lbs of torque....not very tight at all.

And there's always the possibility that the clearance between the valve bore and the main piston is contaminted with debris or sludge preventing the piston from freely moving.

If you've got a new style piston (no bleed) with an old style pilot (no external bleed) you've got a major problem. Hard to see how this could happen since you cannot buy either part separate.

Post Likes
    We did several major remodels last year and used Pi valves. Now we are working with Sporlan because many of these valves are failing. Rebuild them and they are great, we sent all of the parts back to Sporlan for evaluation, havent heard back yet. Didnt notice anything wrong upon disassembly.

Post Likes
    Chop 'em out, cut in a Parker SPORT A8 valve.

Carry a packet or two of O-rings and a can of carb cleaner as a rebuild "kit"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked251 View Post
    We did several major remodels last year and used Pi valves. Now we are working with Sporlan because many of these valves are failing. Rebuild them and they are great, we sent all of the parts back to Sporlan for evaluation, havent heard back yet. Didnt notice anything wrong upon disassembly.
    What kind of failures were you experiencing?

Post Likes
    They would lose setpoint, most of the time they would open and the system would run at rack pressure. Hard to set the pressure after they start to act up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in