Lennox a/c questions...

House a/c is messing up, it's the original, 11 years old, Lennox R-22 system.

Pressures were 250/90 before the service call, duct exit temps 69defF, compressor air outlet temp 109degF on a 98degF day, clear and dry.

:wtf: do those sound right, or am I getting played?

Tech bled system down so the low side was 75psi, but that leaves the high side about 200, which makes me think there is an issue.

Then the ****er wrote on the ticket "pressures normal" and "duct outlet temps 60degF" (outright lie), and now the system runs more than it's off.

Is it fubared? Did I get screwed? I have a home warranty, $59 per service call, I do plan on calling to complain today.

without looking into details (tonnage, IDDB/IDWB, air flow...), 250/90 sounds already too low (ODT 98F), but he "bled" it down? Did he vent R22 into the air? Is yes, report him and claim your $25000 reward from EPA.

He should really measure the SH and SC and make changes according to those.

Yep you got bent over. Never dealt with a home warranty company but from all the complaints on these boards it sure seems a guy would be better off to pocket the premium and hire his own contractors.

At 98 degrees, it should run more than it's off. In fact it should run almost constantly at that temp.
    I'm not defending the guy.
    Post all the numbers he wrote on the ticket. Except pricing of coarse.
    Sounds like he did not do a very good job of actually diagnosing the problem.
    Systems that are not running are pretty easy to diagnose.
    Systems that are running, but under performing, can be quite a bit more difficult.
    Every parameter must be measured.
    What did he actually measure?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Bleed the system that just sounds bad.lol . What he meant to tell you was he reclaimed refrigerant from your system. Was the system operating well on cooler days? Did he check your evaporator coil to see if it was dirty? 98 is pretty hot your ac will run a lot on these days. Is the unit maintaining inside temp? Why was the service call initially made. Only because it was running alot?

90 psi sounds a bit high to me, but 250 is about right if not a little low for 98 degrees outside. Without any other information. I might look at the compressor, may have weak valves.

If the A/c cools, leave it alone. If not get a 2cd opinion from a reputable outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
    House a/c is messing up, it's the original, 11 years old, Lennox R-22 system.

Pressures were 250/90 before the service call, duct exit temps 69defF, compressor air outlet temp 109degF on a 98degF day, clear and dry.

:wtf: do those sound right, or am I getting played?

Tech bled system down so the low side was 75psi, but that leaves the high side about 200, which makes me think there is an issue.

Then the ****er wrote on the ticket "pressures normal" and "duct outlet temps 60degF" (outright lie), and now the system runs more than it's off.

Is it fubared? Did I get screwed? I have a home warranty, $59 per service call, I do plan on calling to complain today.
    If the S/A, meaning the air exiting the vents is 69 degrees, the R/A meaning were you probly change your filter should be 18 to 20 degrees warmer. Being an older model it may have a recip... compressor, 90 on suction sounds to me like your valves may be bad. I would call a different company, have them perform a valve check.

The home warranty outfit has been pretty decent to us so far, so no complaints. Yet.

The complaint is the same as it was 3 years ago with the first warranty (had just bought the house): unable to cool to set temp (78 or 80) during the afternoons. First year, the guy overcharged it; second year, the guys got it right, but it still wasn't keeping up--then the blower fan in the air handler let go, so they replaced that, and it actually helped last summer (north Texas), because it was cooler than normal.

This year, it started sooner (may), finally got around to making the call, and this guy really seemed okay, but when I saw what he wrote and how different it was from the info he measured (I was there), then I knew I had trouble.

He wrote, "did not anything rong with system filter clean air flow at coil 60 (zero with slash thru it) flow at grill's are 59-71 n/a timp 80 at 78 inside home discharge at outside unit 107 clean outside unit (with hose) n/a inside coil clean (he said it looked clean) presur 75-100"

He measured the vent temps with a thermistor on his meter, and got 69-72deg. he also bled it down from 250/90 to 200/75, and it basically hasn't stopped running since he worked on it, and today was cooler than the other day (last tues) by 4-5 deg. Last night is never stopped running, and the best the temps got was 78, with an outdoor temp of 72 or so.

I called the HW outfit today, they're having a "supervisor tech" come out, he'll be here tomorrow morning, hopefully closer to 11am. I'll report back then.

Well, same guy came out, I guess I was supposed to believe the fat pimply teenager with him was his "supervisor".

He added freon, used his little thermistor to read the high side pipe's temp, went into the attic to measure temps across the evap coil, then tested temps at the vent and return. I don't trust what he says (tried to tell me the system pressures were 300/110 last week, which is a bald-faced lie . What I observed (on his meter thermistor) was 72deg vent temp, 84deg return temp, 81deg at the thermostat (which is under the return). And that's after he charged it to this:

He's claiming 20deg temp drop across the evap coil, but I only saw about 10deg rise on the condenser (98deg day). And the vent he was using is one of the closest to the unit.

None of this seems right, the air coming off the unit should be hot enough to almost hurt. And that low side press is still high, isn't it?

At least I haven't had to may anything but the $59 service call fee, tho I think I'm gonna call the warranty company, talk to a decision-maker, and get a completely different company out here to look at this, the guy's vehicle doesn't even have company signage or a license number on it.

That suction pressure is too high. Like others mentioned, I wonder if the compressor valves are weak.

FWIW, I've never seen an r22 system at a 90psi suction pressure on a 100* day.

Given its a lennox unit and 11yrs, I'm guessing it's a 10ACC unit or HS29-- can you post the units info please?

Heres a dumb question, is the suction line cold and sweating. Im going to say the valves are bad.

Is the return duct drawing in attic air.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'll look up the unit info tomorrow, and post them.

His re-charging helped, but the temps improved some the last few days, and we're about to get rain tonight (yay!), so I won't know for sure til the next heat wave. I do know it finally shut off that night on temperature alone, but the pressures are where you saw them in my pics, on a 98deg day.

I don't think the return is suck attic air, but I'll double-check it. And I'll check for the suction line sweat as well.

Thanks a lot for the help, folks!