5 amp fuse in heil air handler keeps blowing

5 amp fuse in heil air handler keeps blowing

Im a maintenance supervisor for a 208 unit multi family housing community. I have a Heil air handler that will blow the 24 v fuse after being in cool mode for about 10 minutes. I have changed the contactor and inspected 24 v lines to condensing unit. I don't understand why it doesn't blow immediately. Any ideas?

Intermittent short. If you have verified it's not the cabling. Check the thermostat.

When in doubt, ohm it out.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    What you have is the most fun problem in the biz. You could change every part in there and not fix the problem. You might want to call someone.

Thanks for your responses

After lunch I ran a new 24v line. Think it solved the problem. Dr. Phil anybody can call somebody, I didn't get were I am by doing that. Why call someone that is simply going to go through the same steps in which I would? Shorts and grounds just take a bit of patience and time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheClimatemaster View Post
    After lunch I ran a new 24v line. Think it solved the problem. Dr. Phil anybody can call somebody, I didn't get were I am by doing that. Why call someone that is simply going to go through the same steps in which I would? Shorts and grounds just take a bit of patience and time.
    Unfortunately, we can't go into depth with you yet. If you get your count up and are indeed a pro, we can go through procedures with you. Finding low voltage intermittant shorts can be a pain. Sometimes when you change something out, you move the actual short a little bit and it shows back up. I hope you got it.

Check the pressure swith wires,seen them rub on lines and short on these units. just a thought.

The copper lines will either melt or rub through a low voltage line and with the right vibration and or moisture will short. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Saturated Suter View Post
    Intermittent short. If you have verified it's not the cabling. Check the thermostat.

When in doubt, ohm it out.
    Say What?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.phil View Post
    Unfortunately, we can't go into depth with you yet. If you get your count up and are indeed a pro, we can go through procedures with you. Finding low voltage intermittant shorts can be a pain. Sometimes when you change something out, you move the actual short a little bit and it shows back up. I hope you got it.
    So how do you get "pro" status on here? I did what I was supposed to and haven't received an answer about 3 weeks later. I would like to discuss commercial/industrial HVAC issues but can't. What's up with this? I'm not sure who to ask on here. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTechMech View Post
    So how do you get "pro" status on here? I did what I was supposed to and haven't received an answer about 3 weeks later. I would like to discuss commercial/industrial HVAC issues but can't. What's up with this? I'm not sure who to ask on here. Any ideas?
    I don't know man. I wish I could share more, but rules are ...

Personally, I would e-mail Lusker. He'll get back to you.