Considering Zoning

I have a Carrier Infinity system installed in a 2200 sq. ft. cape cod style house. I have no basement. There is one main supply trunk that runs length of house with 6" round ducts going to 4" x 12" registers coming off either in ceiling for first floor or floor for second floor. There are 9 ducts on first floor and 3 on second floor. Thermostat is in family room on first floor. Upstairs bedrooms are always warmer in both summer and winter by about 4-5 degrees. I have read alot on here about the Carrier zoning. My question is since I only have one main trunk how would zoning be accomplished? Do they have dampers that can go on each outlet? If so can control be run through duct back to air handler or do you have to run separetly. This seems like it would cause a lot of damage. I also assume that a thermostat would be put on second floor.

Currently I am running system in comfort mode for better dehumidication. Would I get more even temperatures if I ran in efficiency to get more airflow?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Nobody into zoning?

The Carrier Infinity zone control system is an excellent system. If you've got Infinity furnace and/or AC or HP all the better. Having said that, the method of zoning with the Infinity system is to put a damper in line with each branch duct. The dampers close tightly when fully closed so there is no leak-by. Because they can be put anywhere in the branch duct there may be places where they could be more easily installed. If all you branches are buried in finished areas, then the Infinity system is not your best choice.

For buried systems I'd recommend the Arzel zone control system. It operates off pneumatic dampers rather than electric dampers. This allows the rubber tubing used to control the dampers to be run in either the supply or return ducts. A good installer could probably achieve a fully zoned system with little or no invasion of your finished spaces. They make dampers for most registers and/or diffusers.

Okay, that's the simple stuff. Now for the more in-depth items.

Zone controls properly done can go a long way toward producing even temperatures in a system. However, there are pitfalls.

First and foremost a full Manual 'J' room-by-room load analysis needs to be done. That is of the utmost importance so you know how much air each zone can accommodate. Remember, when only one zone is calling for heat or cool, it must be able to accommodate the minimum airflow for the appliance. Multi-stage equipment is, of course, the best application but 1-stage systems can be operated with zone controls provided the designer knows what he/she is doing. Absent modulating dampers (like the Infinity or Evolution systems) a relief strategy must be incorporated to account for proper handling of excess airflow. In short, this is not a job for a DIYer.

I have an infinity system with one main rectangular duct that feeds all the individual 6" round ducts. If I understand correctly Infinty zoning cannot be set up to work unless I have separate main ducts? Would the Arzel zoning system work with an Infinity System? Would I have to get rid of Infinity Controller? Not doing myself just trying to figure out the right person to speak to and if it s possible with what I have.

You've misunderstood the issues.

The Infinity/Evolution system can use either separate main trunks for each zone or one main trunk and individual dampers for each branch. The Arzel system can do likewise but there the commonalities end.

The Infinity/Evolution system is not a useful system is running wires through the duct system is needed. The Arzel system uses rubber hoses, not wires and therefore is better suited to situations where running control connections through ducts is required.

The Arzel system can be used with multi-zone equipment but IMO, can't hold a candle to the Infinity/Evolution system as far as equipment control and relief strategy. If there's a way to do the Carrier/Bryant system, it should win the decision contest hands down.

So I would need 12 dampers and would have to have wires run back to air handler from each register if I wanted to add Infinity zoning to my existing Infinity system. Is there a way to get the bst of both worlds by using Infinity Controller with Arzel style pnuematic dampers.

No, unfortunately there is not. The infinity system has a unique control style that will not interface with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lennox View Post
    I have a Carrier Infinity system installed in a 2200 sq. ft. cape cod style house. I have no basement. There is one main supply trunk that runs length of house with 6" round ducts going to 4" x 12" registers coming off either in ceiling for first floor or floor for second floor. There are 9 ducts on first floor and 3 on second floor. Thermostat is in family room on first floor. Upstairs bedrooms are always warmer in both summer and winter by about 4-5 degrees. I have read alot on here about the Carrier zoning. My question is since I only have one main trunk how would zoning be accomplished? Do they have dampers that can go on each outlet? If so can control be run through duct back to air handler or do you have to run separetly. This seems like it would cause a lot of damage. I also assume that a thermostat would be put on second floor.

Currently I am running system in comfort mode for better dehumidication. Would I get more even temperatures if I ran in efficiency to get more airflow?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

You're lucky to have only a 4-5 degree differance. With only 3 supplies to the 2nd floor, I wouldn't recommend zoning. It's too lopsides for the airflow.

I think a mini-split for the 2nd floor would be your best bet.