Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need new a/c: help with xl15i quote

I got a Quote on a new air conditioner to replace my existing 15 year old system. I live in the Atlanta area. My house is 2 stories with a finished basement (3 floors). Each floor is approximately 2200 square feet. We have three a/c units. We are replacing the main floor and upper floor units, which are currently 3 ton units and highly inefficient. One furnace is in the attic and the other in the basement.

The main floor has a large family room with 20 foot vaulted ceilings with one side basically one giant window with southern exposure. It is also very open to the second floor with a staircase. The entry foyer On the other side of the house is also 20 feet high and open to the second floor The second floor includes a bonus room above the garage. We have trouble maintaining consistent cooling and heating in all these rooms as well as one bedroom on the opposite side of the house. In addition to high utility bills we have problems with humidity.

The quote is for 2 systems, one for each floor: Trane 3.5 ton xl15i with Trane xv80 variable speed 2 stage gas furnace. The model number are as follows: outdoor unit 4TTX5049E1. Indoor unit 4TXCD061BC3. Furnace TUD2C080B9V4. In addition to the two systems, they proposed running dedicated ducts to the two bedrooms (currently the existing ducts run off main ducts) and increasing them from 6 to 8 inches. He said there is no problem with the number and position of my current returns. I questioned my dealer about the outdoor unit because the Trane website says it Is a nominal 4 ton but he said it was a heavy 3.5 ton (3.75 to be exact). Sounds a little strange to me.

What do you think about the configuration and The models?
    Last edited by Wild Bore; 06-12-2011 at 11:27 PM.

To answer your question, Trane xl15 system comes in have sizes. Now if it was a xl16 or xl20 systems then it will only come in 2,3,4 or 5 ton. Again xl15 comes in 2,2.5,3,3.5, 4 and 5 ton!!!

Thanks. I did know the 15 came in half sizes because he quoted me the 3.5. But when I saw the actual model, it looked to be a 4 ton because the 3 ton model looked to be the 5042 model. The 4 ton models were the 5048 and the 5049, which he quoted me. Iwas concerned because he told me the 5049 is a heavy 3.5? I am also concerned it is oversized and wanted general thoughts on the entire proposal.

Wild Bore

first of all you need a load calculation both cooling and heating. get it in writing on the software's letterhead.

has existing size/system presented any problems in cooling and heating? any hot/cold spots?

I suppose technically your dealer is accurate but you should be aware he is quoting you a 4 ton XL15i AC condenser with a two stg XV80 furnace that has a high eff blower but is not var speed. I would want the var speed mdl and this is an issue that you should review with quoting dealer.

see below.

3937286 Active Systems XL15I TRANE 4TTX5049E1 4TXCD061BC3 *UD2C080B9V4 45500 13.00 16.00 1

you will note that you get 45.5 KBTUs of cooling, short for a full 4 ton condenser.

has dealer even bothered to inspect your ductwork system? That's a big difference going from a three ton condenser to a 4 ton condenser.

have you rec'd any other quotes from another dealer? you should.

that would be my starting point.

IMO
    Good Luck!

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro.../XV80-Furnaces

According to the Trane website, the XV80 is a variable speed.

Wild Bore

look at the asterisk beside the particular mdl you were quoted. It's on the Trane website.

*B indicates high eff blower motor but I don't believe it's var speed. You want the A mdl for that particular size.

IMO

TUD2C080A9V4VA 40 21.0 28 64,000/41,600 80
    TUD2C080B9V4VA* 40 21.0 28 64,000/41,600 80
    *Model has high efficiency blower

I called Trane directly and they confirmed it is a variable speed model.

Wild Bore

then what is the meaning of the asterisk and what is the difference between the two 80K XV80 4 ton rated models A & B listed?

IMO

According to them, the "B" means a upgraded version for that model.

Yes what Trane is telling you is correct. TUD2, is a 2 stage variable speed furnace. If they change anything on the unit they have to change something in the model number to show the difference.

Back to the org. Post, you need to have the company check the duct system out because variable speed units don't like undersized duct work. They will ramp up faster if they are restricted on air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by adamwhatley View Post
    Yes what Trane is telling you is correct. TUD2, is a 2 stage variable speed furnace. If they change anything on the unit they have to change something in the model number to show the difference.

Back to the org. Post, you need to have the company check the duct system out because variable speed units don't like undersized duct work. They will ramp up faster if they are restricted on air flow.
    Thanks. Yes they are redoing a lot of the ducts to accomodate the system. What do you think of their choices for the a/c unit and furnace? Do you think the a/c is oversized or ok. We are stepping up from 2 3 tons to 2 4 ton units. He says that the 5049 is not really a full 4 ton. It is bigger than the 5042 3.5 ton, but but really rates out at about 3.75 tons (46,500) and is built to qualify for the Federal credits. I also asked him about the 95% furnance. He said that I didn't want to put a 95% in the attic space. Also, I would probably not not get enough payback in Atlanta.

What do you think?

8 tons for 2200 sqft. Are you serious about this helping your humidity control?

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    8 tons for 2200 sqft. Are you serious about this helping your humidity control?
    I think the OP stated each floor of the house is 2200 sq. ft., making it a total of 4400.

I did not see anything saying the two 3 ton units could not keep up with the cooling demand.

I could be wrong, but it seems the contractor is installing larger condensers in order to qualify for the Federal Energy Tax credit. The tax credit is only $300. I doubt there is any net savings on the larger units and additional duct work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast