Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    And that would be...

PROPER attic access!

I come across improper attic access almost everyday and post the WORST ones in the Wall of Shame.

Here's some pix of what I'd like to see MORE of.
    Remember. This is RARE! But how it is in the mechanical code book...

First of all. I dislike the attic. But at least right away I open the scutle lid and for ONCE there isn't a pile of blown in insulation falling all over me and the floor.

That's because they did this one right and built up a barrier around the scuttle opening to hold back the insulation.

And another bonus. Somehow they got all the Cable Guy, Security Guy, and all the other subs to NOT put their wire right over the cat walk and the scuttle opening like they USUALLY do.

Here it is ran around the access and away form the cat walk.

There is also that orange fire sprinkler line. At least it's not ran on top of the cat walk like the idiots usually do.

As you crawl up in here.
    WHOA! A clear view of a nicely built cat walk!
    Usually IF there is a cat walk around here, it's covered by the inso and wiring!

Then it goes over here to a higher area over the vaulted ceiling.
    But for once the cat walk continues and everything is in some sort of order. No backwards installed units, and the cat walk is actually mounted to something solid.

usually if you get a cat walk, it sags on each step like you're about to fall through.

I am pretty sure Charlie installed these units believe it or not.
    They are starting to clean their act up a little bit.

This looks like GOLD compared to the **** that is installed by the co I work for now!

I wish they would do this on EVERY attic install....
    Wishful thinking!

Whew! I thought you were going to say a properly operating system of a certain name brand
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Whew! I thought you were going to say a properly operating system of a certain name brand
    RoBo, RoBo, R o B o......

WAKE UP, your DREAMING!

Damn, those lights work too? That attic job must have been speced by the owner who is an hvac man...

I know damn well you loved the site of this job!
    Get back to work.™

I am gonna get that stuff blown over my fiber glass. I like it. It is messy but I am taking my system out of the attic.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    You mean them brown bombs we are so blessed with around here? Wait a sec. They are a little more or less a baby **** green now. But they still SMELL the same!

Yeah. When I was there to do that 2 unit HEATING maintenance (it's still WARM here in Pheonix) I figured i was going up into another cramped attic to sit in insulation.

I was surprised by the effort gone into this home.

If we could only get them to do this on the other 99.9997% of the new homes around here

PaysonHVAC, your dreaming!!!!!!!!!

The pictures are made up in Photo Shop!!!!!

You live in Arizona!!!!!!
    We put units in the attic so that we can lose HVAC techs and have to keep newbies and the pay low......

You were dreaming when you entered that attic....

On a serious note, I am glad to see that things may change.
    I may hold a little hope to see one of those in my area in my life time.....
    Yuma
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

So Yuma; do you ever see Goodman equipment in your part of Arizona? I understand they don't work in Arizona

Just to take the wind out of the sails of some posters;

Goodman's don't work anywhere...yuk-yuk-yuk....

Man, you call that a good access? lol

If I have to pull a ladder out to get in an attic, I grumble about it. %99+ of the time there is a pull down stair, into the attic, or a door from upstairs.

Probably %80+ of the systems I service are in attics, yet I go weeks at a time without having to pull my step ladder off my truck.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Man, you call that a good access? lol

If I have to pull a ladder out to get in an attic, I grumble about it. %99+ of the time there is a pull down stair, into the attic, or a door from upstairs.

Probably %80+ of the systems I service are in attics, yet I go weeks at a time without having to pull my step ladder off my truck.
    You BASTARD!

LOL! ****, that means that MOST of your attic access scuttle openings would be in the GARAGE or someplace. 1/2 of them here are in the master bedroom closet. In the corner, over the shoe rack!!!

So IF you get a 20X20 opening, you still have to squeeze. We only DREAM about a 30X30 opening.

Having easy attic access causes other complications though. Homeowners tend to store a lot of stuff up there.
    Typically it is obvious that they were more interested in getting the junk up there and getting back out of the attic than in insuring that service people can actually get past it to service thier equipment.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast