multi-meter recomendation

I'm looking for a new meter for checking EMS controls RO,and AI boards,power interface boards and things of that nature....

I'm not looking to break the bank..but on the same hand I need a decent meter.

I currently have the fluke 113 and the t5-600 for my "rugged use meter"

any input is appreciated...

i have been looking at the fluke 233. it is a bit fancy and does everything including temperature and capacitance. it has a removeable display that i am not sure if it will come in handy or not but i like new gadgets. it is under 300 dollars. not sure what you are looking to spend but it is one suggestion
    Only Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door

I know you said affordable but if you only have to buy one meter that will last you years then you actually saving money then buying (2) lower end meters.. Right?

My recommendation is the Fluke 28 II.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Im looking for his other video but this is informative..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYm021p5qk

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I've tried a lot of meters but always use the fluke 116. My meter bag sits in the van all winter and it gets as cold as -30 here. The fluke is the only meter that still works. Mines been through hell and it still works like new.

The only other meter I use is the fluke 902. I keep it in my tool bag because it's the very versatile. Does capacitance, ac/dc voltage, resistance, amperage, and I use a fluke k-type pipe clamp for temps. The only bad thing is the 10k ohm scale. Useless for precise ohm measurements.

IMO the best (but most expensive) setup would be the fluke 116 with a amp clamp on attachment. You could do just about anything in our trade with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    that was entertaining!!!

I liked when he threw it out the window while he was driving.

I'm pretty much SOLD on Fluke...it's just a matter of which model and how much $$$$$i'm willing to spend.

what model would you say if I kept it under 300.00?

Quote Originally Posted by sprmktrefertech View Post
    that was entertaining!!!

I liked when he threw it out the window while he was driving.

I'm pretty much SOLD on Fluke...it's just a matter of which model and how much $$$$$i'm willing to spend.

what model would you say if I kept it under 300.00?
    None...save up and spend more. It's worth the money. The bigger ticket meters.....like the 87V, 28II, and 289 come with lifetime warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    None...save up and spend more. It's worth the money. The bigger ticket meters.....like the 87V, 28II, and 289 come with lifetime warranties.
    Thanks for the wake-up call...you're absolutly right...after all, I use a meter every single day...and that, 28II looks like it can even put up w/ my abuse.

I'm going on the fluke web site and see what they look like..the 87v,289,116,and lastly, the 902.

Thanks for the wake-up call...you're absolutly right...after all, I use a meter every single day...and that, 28II looks like it can even put up w/ my abuse.

I'm going on the fluke web site and see what they look like..the 87v,289,116,and lastly, the 902.
    I did what exactly you did when I was starting out. I bought the 179. While it is a great meter it sits there almost brand new still. The 28ii does it all. Why would I use the 179 after have the 28? Take ascj's advice. He knows his stuff. Buy it once and buy it right. After all you do trust it with your life.

We had an apprentice short out 460 with a senior mechanics fluke. The fuse blew and the leads melted but he didn't get so much as a shock. That's good to hear if you ask me!

I would leave the 116 and 902 off your list. Neither have a lifetime warranty and since your talking controls.....neither does mA readings.

The 289 is abit much for most. It's be claim to fame is data logging.

So your left with a 87V or 28II.......price them and look at the specs. 28II is a 87v that's rugged. And with the slight price increase.......it's a clear winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    I would leave the 116 and 902 off your list. Neither have a lifetime warranty and since your talking controls.....neither does mA readings.

The 289 is abit much for most. It's be claim to fame is data logging.

So your left with a 87V or 28II.......price them and look at the specs. 28II is a 87v that's rugged. And with the slight price increase.......it's a clear winner.
    thanks again for the feedback, that's why I posted before buying....now I feel I'm making an educated purchase.