Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    How do you get it to fall the way you want it to ?

Can it be manipulated ?

I need to cut down several trees that are taller than the distance is to my home so I want them to fall away from the house. I need to be right about which direction they will fall, anyone know how to get this done ?

Like this:

http://www.vonage.com/commercials.php

Second video down.

if it is near your house the best way is to go to yellow pages under "tree cutters" find someone insured to do the job and make a call

but hey its your house and your money

your insurance will have a fit if you drop it on your house i'm sure

Just for you Eddy; take an axe cut a large V on the side in the direction you want it to fall. Next have a friend use a saw to cut into the center of the V from the backside of the tree. You Eddy stand about ten feet from the tree in direct line with the V. Now when the tree starts to fall be sure and not move.

For all others disregard!

You Eddy stand about ten feet from the tree in direct line with the V. Now when the tree starts to fall be sure and not move.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

The first thing Paul Bunyons dad taught him was "always keep your eye on the tree stump when the tree falls

I guess because once it starts falling , even you eddie could not stop it

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING FOR A DIY PROJECT

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK HOW TO CUT DOWN A TREE YOU HAVE NO BUSNIESS DOING IT!

[Edited by ct2 on 09-17-2005 at 10:04 PM]

If you do cut them yourself let me know first. I would like to be there video taping it for America's Funniest Videos, I could use the $10,000.

I figure if I stay close to the trunk then I won't need to move to far to get out of the way no matter which way it falls, this is right isn't it ? I mean if the tree is 2 foot diameter the mast I would have to move to get out of the way is approximately 3 feet.

dont do it

Before cutting the V set your extension ladder up and wrap a chain around the tree as high as you can get it, set up a hook, cable and comealong and put some pressure on it(not much). As you cut your 2nd part of the V start putting tension on the comealong, use a vehicle instead if you have the room.

That being said Ive must have helped my dad at least cut down 200 trees using these methods and never felt safe anytime I did it, no one was ever hurt but I have seen small things happen that could have got real bad real quick, including cables or ropes breaking, in all honesty call a tree service
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

just gotta be smarter then the tree is all

Go out in the woods and practice for about 20 years before you try it. I know professional loggers who have had trees fall the wrong way and damage property as well as hury other people. I have cut down a thousand trees using the notching method and some have fell exactly the "wrong" way. Seriously man, call a pro and let somebody else be responsible for mishaps. If you clean them up yourself, they dont charge that much to lay them down.

City boys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast