Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wild+tangent

look over the listings, you can learn more about wild tangant, and how to remove it & registry entries.

Error Has Disappeared

I went into Spybot S&D and hit the Recovery Button. I did a scan. Basically everything is back where it was before I did the spyware scan. I restarted the computer and now the error does not appear. Go figure.

So the obvious question does Wild Tangent contain syware?

Is this all part of the HP headgame?

I think Otto was right. Im gonna go buy a friggin furnace.
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

HP is there any worst brand on the market?

HP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy Fix

Aquire a ten pond hammer, swing violently at computer, toss pieces into trash can, go purchase a Dell. HP's suck big time. Bought a HP laptop and returned it two weeks later, bought the Dell with all the same setups and was cheaper and half the weight. Have not had any problems with it yet, besides the user errors.

One Final Thought

When I scan with Spybot S&D one of the categories that shows up is something called BackWeb lites.

If I fix and delete that category, then I start getting the aforementioned Error Message.

There are 59 entries listed under this category.

Should I copy and paste one entry so someone can tell me what this BackWeb thing is?

Sounds like you are infected with a spyware program that can't be cleared with what yu are using. I would download the latest version of Norton or Macafree and try deleting the spyware that way. If you use AOL their spyware/virus protection works pretty good. Once you download these programs and run them once, shut down the computer and restart and then run it a 2nd time. Sometimes they get passed up the 1st time.
    Hope this helps.

Originally posted by sodadude

RUNNER ERROR
    I think that means you didn't tie your shoes right or something.

Originally posted by jultzya
    HP is there any worst brand on the market?

HP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yea, Gateway

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/359-p1.php

BackWeb could be HP's version of automatic update.
    Kodak does the same thing.

Start>Run>msconfig.exe will let you selectively turn off items in your start menu.

Editing the registry is not for the casual computer user.

Be sure you save a copy before making changes.

I think you are correct because

Originally posted by bwal2
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/359-p1.php

BackWeb could be HP's version of automatic update.
    Kodak does the same thing.

One of the entries does have the word Kodak in it.

Kodak likes to take over your computer with backweb, so does HP.
    Wild Tangent is a spyware-related item, and usually gets loaded when somebody tries to play "free" games on the internet.

At one time, I was very versed in what needs to run, but haven't bothered to learn XP.
    I still use Win98 at home & Win2K at work.

The people at http://www.answersthatwork.com maintain a task list.

"BackWeb started life as push technology software which enabled you to subscribe to various information channels of your choice so that your selected information channels would pop up on your screen with the latest world news, entertainment news, etc…, whatever you might have chosen You can configure the original BackWeb to download the news for later viewing, to display the news as desktop background, ticker, or popup window.

This did not take off as well as expected and, crucially, it was also not paying for itself. As a result BackWeb quickly went into other markets, two of them significant ones. (1) Advertising adware where websites, ISPs, or software manufacturers include BackWeb on their site, in their ISP software, or in their software and, whenever you connect to the Internet, BackWeb also connects to retrieve advertisements which are then displayed on your screen or in your browser. (2) BackWeb is also routinely installed on new PCs by specific computer manufacturers with the aim being that BackWeb will automatically check for vital updates to the PC’s setup whenever the end-user connects to the web. Such manufacturers include Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, LogiTech, Kodak, although some or all of these may have stopped this practice at the time of writing of this entry (April 2002).

Recommendation :
    Unless you are using BackWeb for news content, we strongly recommend de-installing it. It is often a serious resource hog, in most cases it is also advertising adware, it slows down your Internet connection, unacceptably if you connect by modem, and it has the potential for sending out information from your PC. De-install via the "Add/Remove Program" icon in the Control Panel."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12