Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Install

What did you use to core the brick? looks real clean.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    I don't do any install either, but it looks great. Only thing that jumps out at me is the furnace intake might frost up a little with the water heater vent being even with it.
    Yes the water heater vent should snorkel up like the furnace exhaust. Just a slight breeze will blow the vent gases over to the furnace intake if they are both running at the same time. I've had to fix that many many times.

I used a 2 1/2" Core bit.
    I wish I could take credit for how it looks, but the homeowner is an old brick layer. When I drilled the holes it loosened the joints around where I was drilling on this 100 year old house. A small section over the window fell out.
    He said no problem and fixed it, his workmanship impressed me. I would not have been able to fix it and make it look as nice.

Nice installation! But how come you went with a drum humidifier?

Quote Originally Posted by johnt2_2002 View Post
    Nice installation! But how come you went with a drum humidifier?
    It was an existing humidifier that the customer wanted to keep.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yes the water heater vent should snorkel up like the furnace exhaust. Just a slight breeze will blow the vent gases over to the furnace intake if they are both running at the same time. I've had to fix that many many times.
    I see your point, but it is in a dead end ally. I am not anticipating too many problems with it. If I do, I will have to contact the manufacture of the tank to get approval to snorkel the vent. The manufactures instructions were followed for installation next to a furnace intake. We must follow B149.1 gas code and the Manufactures instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    I see your point, but it is in a dead end ally. I am not anticipating too many problems with it. If I do, I will have to contact the manufacture of the tank to get approval to snorkel the vent. The manufactures instructions were followed for installation next to a furnace intake. We must follow B149.1 gas code and the Manufactures instructions.
    It might run a long time like that with no problems.

I've found a few that were like that for 5-10 years before the perfect conditions came along and frosted them up. Had others where the owner had to go out several times a winter to knock the frost out until I snorkeled it up.

I've found a few that were like that for 5-10 years before the perfect conditions came along and frosted them up. Had others where the owner had to go out several times a winter to knock the frost out until I snorkeled it up.
    Thanks for your insight. Now I will know how to fix it if I do run into problems.
    Do you think there should be a better way of venting appliances side by side?
    We Installers should come up with something that would be problem free. Just think of the years of experience on this forum. We together should be able to design a better venting system.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    Thanks for your insight. Now I will know how to fix it if I do run into problems.
    Do you think there should be a better way of venting appliances side by side?
    We Installers should come up with something that would be problem free. Just think of the years of experience on this forum. We together should be able to design a better venting system.
    The one common point in all frosted up vent pipes is when you have an exhaust pipe at the same or a lower level than a nearby intake pipe. So keep all exhaust pipes at least a foot above nearby intakes.

Another way to prevent it if you have room is to run that wtr htr exhaust straight out a foot to shoot the exhaust gases out beyond where they could drift back into the intake.

BTW that is a very clean and nice furnace install.

Really pretty. Never seen holes through bricks so perfect.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Ditto to that.

It takes just the right breeze, or no breeze at all. It usually happens on incorrectly vented furnaces, because the exhaust and intake operate simultaneously. The temp also needs to stay -10 or -20 deg F for a week straight to frost them up. He'll probably never have a problem. A lot of times it takes several years for it to happen. But when it happens you can bet you'll be fixing a lot of vents during that week!

Thanks for all the feed back. When I show pictures of my work to my wife, she yawns.........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast