Noisy Water Furnace

I have a EO-72 6 ton E series Water Furnace set up on a four zone system. I am pleased with the operation of the unit which is about 3 years old. However, the unit is very noisy when the compressor is running. The unit is setting in an upstairs closet and the walls of the closet are fully insulated with wet blown cellouse. The main supply and return ducts are installed with flexable duct collar and the unit is setting on the Water Furnace air pad. The unit vibrates so much the the pictures in the bedroom next to the closet rattle. I am looking for any suggestions on how I might cut down on the vibration from the compressor. Thanks

Hi Bill: Could you take a look inside at the base of the compressor and tell me if your shipping bolt was removed as it should have been at install. They didn't remove mine and it sure made a difference. I hope that will be your problem as it is an easy fix. Good luck, Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by cdhand View Post
    Hi Bill: Could you take a look inside at the base of the compressor and tell me if your shipping bolt was removed as it should have been at install. They didn't remove mine and it sure made a difference. I hope that will be your problem as it is an easy fix. Good luck, Curtis
    I was just going to suggest that................

I have looked at the base of the compressor and there are four blots throught the center of rubber shock mounts that mount the compressor. I am unsure where to find the shipping bolt and it's difficult to see much of the compressor. Can you explain where the shipping bolt is located. Thanks

Check the supply air fan; you could have something it there throwing the balance off on the fan. Could be a bit of insulation ect. Check your filters.

The unit is very quite with just the fan running, but when the compressor comes on the vibration starts. This vibration is conducted into the floor and then into the walls even though the unit is setting on a WFI pad. The unit is not touching any walls and the dusts are connected with flexable duct collars. Then vibration is worse when the compressor is running in low but there is still significant vibration in high.

Bill the 4 bolts need to stay in place, the shipping bolt should be next to one of the bolts in front. When it is left in, the compressor will be rigid to the frame. When you take it out your compressor will be able to move a little bit. If it has been removed you will see a hole. I think this will fix your problem. Curtis

Did you say the geo is in an upstairs closet ?????

Vibration isolation platform

WaterFurnace has recently developed a spring platform that can replace the foam pad. You should contact their tech support to see if they can send one to you. The springs completely isolate the cabinet from the floor and prevent the vibration from penetrating the structure. If everything else has been isolated from the walls, and the shipping bolt has been removed - this could be the next step.

You will want to ask how tall the spring platform is and establish whether you will be able to lift up the heat pump enough to slide it under there!

bill913,

Unfortunately, noise is very difficult to resolve over the internet. Have you have been in contact with your WaterFurnace dealer to discuss this noise? If not, we would suggest you contact them to discuss your concerns and a resolution. If your contractor is unable to resolve the noise issue, please have them contact our technical support staff to discuss the nature of the noise. We will be able to offer suggestions and work with your contractor to find a resolution.

If you have contacted your WaterFurnace dealer, please provide your name, model number, serial number, and the name of the contractor you are working with so that we may contact them to discuss a resolution. If you do not wish to provide this information on this forum, you can send us a private message.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

The shipping bolt is out and I can rock the compressor on the rubber shock mounts.

Bill I wish I could have helped you. I thought for sure it would be the bolt, a simple fix. Go with Waterfurnace they are the only company that would come on this board. In my mind they are the best in this industry. This shows that they care. Best of luck to you . Curtis

cdhand
    Thanks for trying to help. I have contacted waterfurnace in the past and just today contacted them again. I did find out that they have a kit to replace the rubber bushings under the compressor with springs. Now if I can just get the installer to order the kit!