Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bees nest .. next to outdoor unit

yellow jackets at this house i went to today, i saw about 10 hovering amongst the grass down this pathway ... im like ... ut oh they gotta have a nest close by. Carefully made my way over the unit and there they were going down into the ground under an azalea bush next to it.

I left and will go back tonight when they are all in the ground asleep and kill them.

Usually i dump a gallon of gasoline on them, but i cant go killing their bushes.

What to do ...

Nu-Kill
    It is a product sold up here. Most of our suppliers carry it. If you hit one with it they drop immediately. If you find the opening of the nest, spray it in and they die.... Orange can.

Worked on an abandoned 5-7 1/2 ton RTU years ago for temp office use as they demoed the rest of the site that was "completely" filled with hives....

I set my ladder up right beside the RTU, I set my tool bag on the RTU and I ran away like a little girl across the roof screaming as the bee's came

There were so many in a swarm that I could not get my bag, nor get to my ladder

That was the first and last time I had to call for a roof rescue

Exterminator came and blew some magic smoke and said all was swell?? I said your A$$ is staying here till I open this thing up, he agreed and we both ran across the roof like little girls screaming once the first panel was almost opened

He and I had never seen anything like this before and thank god he had some sort of stuff that only exterminators can get that makes them poof dead

Doing yard work last week i raked up some old leaves and out comes 100 bumble bees !!

I know exactly the sounds of the little girl scream you heard

But they were cool though .... not one chased me. They just buzzed around in circles for a while then went back in the nest.

If that were yellow jackets ... them mean little bastids would have chased my ass around the yard and probly got me a few times no doubt.

Also most hardware stores sell a shooter type spray that shoots 12 feet and they drop right away...go back later on when they calm down and you can blast the nest/hive from a safe distance...

Yea we carry some of the hornet spray stuff. when it hits them it's like an electrical jolt.

I remember as a kid i was pulling rocks from a stream for a fire pit, rolled a rock over an a whole hive started attacking me. yea ran screaming.

Had a nest in the ground at a tree in my front yard years ago. Didn't want to pour gasoline either and kill the tree so I waited till the sun was just about down, took a rag and soaked in in gas and put the rag over the hole. Killed them all. I'm pretty sure the fumes went into the hole. Didn't hurt the tree at all.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Let an exterminator handle that

I hate bees

Powdered Sevin around their hole, they track it into the nest and it kills all of them. Works on Carpenter bees too, just use an old ear sryinge to push the powder into the carpenter bee hole.

The homeowner said screw that bush.

Me and the wife bought 2 cans of wasp n hornet spray and went over there for battle.

It rained lightly for about 5 min just as the sun went down, and they all went into the hole. Perfect. None were flying around.

We both stood on each side and sprayed at the hole where they went into while i grabbed a handful of limbs and pulled the plant out a little so we could shoot under the roots real good, then we were shooting all around the ball of it .. and they were trying to come out all around the outter ball of it .. this is when my heart started racing and I tell you what .. I was ready to Boogie across the lawn. The wife got nervous and lets out this scream that sent shivers up my spine (and yes i felt my ass pucker at this time) .. but we kept on spraying and watched them drop instantly as they exited thank the Lord.

Stood there a moment to check for any movement... then pulled the plant all the way out as we both gave the plant roots full blast, then shot more where it was planted in the soil... and then shoved the plant back into the hole to cap it off per se'

Tomorrow it should be pretty quiet around the outdoor unit ; )

I have three welts on my arms from earlier today... Nest in the mulch around a 2.5 ton Rheem AC I was servicing... I hate those friggin' things. Been gotten at least once each summer for the past three years.

Adam

You always, repeat you always tap or hit on the side of every unit you service, especially roof tops just to make sure, they also love disconnects. Most of the time you can usually spot a couple lookout bees/wasps hovering around to tip you off. By the way, I always have at least 4 cans of spray on my truck, sometimes more, because if one stings me you can bet I will empty every can in my truck on them, and if that don't work I will get my .40 Glock 23 out of my truck.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    The homeowner said screw that bush.

Me and the wife bought 2 cans of wasp n hornet spray and went over there for battle.

It rained lightly for about 5 min just as the sun went down, and they all went into the hole. Perfect. None were flying around.

We both stood on each side and sprayed at the hole where they went into while i grabbed a handful of limbs and pulled the plant out a little so we could shoot under the roots real good, then we were shooting all around the ball of it .. and they were trying to come out all around the outter ball of it .. this is when my heart started racing and I tell you what .. I was ready to Boogie across the lawn. The wife got nervous and lets out this scream that sent shivers up my spine (and yes i felt my ass pucker at this time) .. but we kept on spraying and watched them drop instantly as they exited thank the Lord.

Stood there a moment to check for any movement... then pulled the plant all the way out as we both gave the plant roots full blast, then shot more where it was planted in the soil... and then shoved the plant back into the hole to cap it off per se'

Tomorrow it should be pretty quiet around the outdoor unit ; )
    That reminded me of that exterminator show where the brothers ricky and billy battle wasp, i always get a kick watching them spray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast