Your opinion on questionable A/C inspection

Your opinion on questionable A/C inspection

Hoping to get some 2nd, 3rd, etc. opinions on my A/C issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had an A/C check on June 2nd in N. California. It was an unusually cold morning, rained earlier and temp was high 50's. My A/C seemed to work fine last season, this was just a check-up after a winter heating duct issue and I figured what the heck, the unit is about 10 years old (Goodman CKJ42-1D). For background, my house is a 2 story, about 2500 sq. ft. with a fairly long run from the condenser to the attic unit.

The tech said everything looked good, but due to the cold temp he would like to come back out and do pressure readings at the outside condenser when things warm up. He did a little light upsell on some stuff, but nothing I'm not used to - but it did put a few ??? in the back of my mind. I have the sheet with the readings he took and here are some that may help: Temp Split - return 66, supply 43. Compressor amp draw rating 13.5 RLA 9.1 Freon Charge high 125, low 80. The tech wrote "the pressures were hard to read because of mild weather."

Today the same tech did the follow up. 8:00 in the morning, temperature about 62-63. He called me outside and told me the pressures were confusing (they were about the same as the previous visit) so he called a more senior tech and said I need a new compressor. He then stated since the unit was 10 years old and a compressor was so expensive, I may want to get an entire new condenser, someone would call. I am a little unnerved because he didn't seem real certain of his diagnosis.

My question is does this sounds right and are there any other questions I should ask/other problems it may be (if there is a problem)? Also, what are your opinions on a new condenser vs. compressor replacement ( I hope to only be in this house a couple more years). It sounds like the price difference is a lot between the two options. I do have another company coming out next week for a "tune-up" to see if they find anything.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the operation of the unit. This afternoon the temp was about 84-86 outside and the unit kicked on for the first time this year other than the inspection. I went outside and felt warm to hot air out of the fan and my upstairs vents were putting out cold air. The unit didn't seem to run very long and held the set temperature (78).

Thanks a lot in advance, any feedback would be appreciated.

More than likely there is nothing wrong with the equipment you have. I would budget funds for replacement of entire system when it comes time to replace. The time to replace is when there is a compressor failure, refrigerant leaks start to develop in the coils, etc. With new equipment one could expect to lower current energy bills . There may be incentives through the local utilities which may also sway you into replacing the equipment.

Something does sound fishy. Need to be well into the 70s with it warm inside to really tell. If it is cooling the place just fine, probably it is fine as well.

If you replace, replace the indoor coil to match whatever you choose outside. Mismatching is never wise if you can help it.

At 60 or so degrees outside, the pressures will look confusing to may. Doubt you need a new compressor. Wait till its warmer outside, and see if it cools. If it does, you don't need a new compressor.

Unless you work on units that are used to cool rooms/building that need A/C 24/7/365, checking the charge when its that cool outside is confusing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Maybe we can sell you a car you don't need. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Allen View Post
    "WE" the majority find this as an offensive comment

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by D-Allen View Post
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A car I can fix

Thanks for the input. As suggested I'll sit tight and wait for some real summer heat before I think about it again. For now all seems to be working fine.

Thanks again.

Hard to tell from 1500 miles away. Suction pressure seems a little high for such a cool day. But I can't see the thing from here. My advice is to run it til it dies then replace the system. Who knows? It might run for another 5 years or another 5 days. No guarantees and no definitive answers. I will say that replacing just the compressor is foolish on such an old system. I never suggest replacing a compressor unless it's under warranty.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

80 psi suction with a 66 degree return air temp does not sound right to me . as others have stated i would do the wait and see if it maintains the set temp