Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane XL20i/Hyperion

Change out from today. Gotta go back Monday for tstat relocation and set up( Comfort Link II) Couple things to tidy up, wires ties, UV paint on the insulation, etc when I go back but all in all turned out pretty good. The perfect fit cabinet was existing so it came up short on the 23.5" cab, but it made a nice spot for the cond. pump after a made a bracket for it.

Personally the lack of a line chase bugs the hell out of me but the customer didn't want to pay for it, or the new copper line I suggested for the condensate

Man, I freakin LOVE the charge assist feature. And yes, they seriously need to cut those stupid ficus hedges down.

We also did some duct modifications but I wasn't about to crawl back in the hole for pics. Customer loves it so far
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Does the outdoor unit have a couple of hold down straps showing in the photo? It looks like it any way. Don't you need to trap condensate drain line to the pump because of the neg pressure coil?

John

is that plumbing pipe insulation on the suction line?

Condenser is tied down with Trane "Hurricane" kit, four heavy gauge stamped straps and clips inside the base pan. These A/H's are positive pressure from the blower section up so a trap isn't crucial, but I always trap it in the pump by cutting the pipe at an angle bottoming it out in the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by martin&sonsa/c View Post
    is that plumbing pipe insulation on the suction line?
    Its 1/2" wall Imcoa. Not plumbing specific, is it? Not down here anyways, I just like that it doesn't dry out and lose R value like Rubatex does in attics ,and it cuts cleaner.

down here we use armaflex its specific for a/c and refrigeration lines it does not have a slice in it you can get it in 3/4 or 1in thickness its really nice and neat.

Sweet units, I have installed a few. The charge assist is great feature. The AHU are very easy to handle and give you a clean install, extend copper long enough for panel replacement, learned that the hard way. What you think of the blow through coil ?. It gives positive pressure on drain, going green I guess..

Seems to me a bush needs to be removed!

What do you think of the Hyperion? I keep reading more negative reviews...

This was my first one, i'm a service tech so I don't do installs hardly anymore and it was a breeze. As long as you're careful with your pipe routing and test fit the doors before sweating/gluing your piping its great.

I hear people complaining about the doors but I had no issue removing/replacing them and the latching system works great. DO NOT use a drill for the screws or you will mess up the locking system. I like that EVERY panel comes off with nothing in the way, no brackets, or silly little panels around the lines, nothing at all.

The heater is a strange looking beast with 3 sets of brackets for each cabinet width. And the relay section is modular with pin settings for the various KW. The neatest feature was the locking electrical penetrations. Pull the plug out,(no more stupid metal knockouts), put the fitting in, put the nut on it and turn the fitting to tighten. The nut gets locked in place. It seems so trivial but its just a thoughtful little piece of engineering.

I will say that the cutout in the coil panel for the low voltage leaks air like crazy, so I suspect they'll be revising the gasket situation but a piece of cork tape seals it nicely and its all positive pressure from the blower up so infiltration is a non issue. The board access is fantastic. You can actually here the liquid line change pitch as the EEV adjusts. Very cool.

I've always thought the Trane TWE series was the best on the market and this one is no exception.

I see that furnace is a TAM8 unit, I think. How was that in weight and all? I had a class about this unit but they didnt have one available. Cool looking furnace though. The install looks nice as well.

Its a TAM7 actually, i think the TAM8 will be available late 3rd quarter. The weight they shaved a good 30lbs off the old TWE style across the board.

The comfort link is available with the Hyperion down there? Here in NY the communicating Hyperion air handler isn't available yet.

We'll be using the 24V relay kit with it. We cant get the comm AH either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast