Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Employers what do you like to see

Does it matter to you if a tech is Nate or HVAC Excellence Certified?
    Does that demand higher pay?
    Would you hire a certified tech over 1 thats isn't if both had the same amount of experence (time in the field)and (both hade good referances)?
    Both techs have universal cert. (of course).
    I'm trying to decide if I need to keep my Nate because continuing ed. hours hard to come by.

I don't think NATE or HVACExcelence ever made me a dime.
    At least they didn't cost me a dime either.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Thought NATE was good idea that has gone wrong. Seem as tho they are only another company out there to make money. Nate has been around a long time yet the consumer either doesn't know or care about it. I have yet to see any promotion by Nate to inform the public. I have opted not to renew my Nate feel like it just a money grab

My boss wanted us to get NATE certified and paid for the tests.

I don't think I would do it if I had to pay for it. One test I would like to take is the RSES CM test. I think that would mean more to an employer than NATE. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    My boss wanted us to get NATE certified and paid for the tests.

I don't think I would do it if I had to pay for it. One test I would like to take is the RSES CM test. I think that would mean more to an employer than NATE. JMO
    Those in the know respect the CM designation.

It didn't earn me any extra cash, though.

When someone has passed a certification test it usually can tell me if I'm interviewing a ten year tech with TEN years experience or a ten year tech with ONE year experience. Many have applied and been filter changers their entire "beer can cold" career.

Nate has a web site that tells potential customers, percentage of tech that are NATE certified.

Seems like that would make the boss some money
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

I pay my guys an extra $1 an hour for NATE cert. Customers here are starting to look for it, local energy company requires a NATE tech do the start up on ac to get there rebates.
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

I want a tech who can understand order of operations of a non-HVAC/R item by examining it.

Contrary to popular belief, HVAC/R is not real complicated. That knack for intuitively understanding that this should do that then that thingee should do this action is far more valuable than spouting off "any industry specific factoid".

Me and my business partner, formerly my best tech, had a contract at a luxury hotel in town to fix the stuff their maintenance guys couldn't. After a few hours studying and tracing the circuits in a large front load washing machine, that used twin cam rotary driven switches, with all diagrams and books written in Swedish, we figured it out and fixed the problem.

An ability to say "I don't know.". If I ask a tech if he can knows anything about a Blizzanator 3000 keg cooler, he better tell me he doesn't. I might accept a "I have worked on other brands of keg coolers."

Have good tools. I'd rather have a tech with a high quality pair of linesman pliers, a good six way and good meter, than a guy with 200 bucks of crappy tools. If you are a new tech, that might be understandable to a small extent, but if you got 3 or more years and ain't bought good tools, that tells me you ain't really interested in your work.

Well here's a slightly different scenario. Would you rather hire a guy with a certificate from an accredited college in HVAC/R or a guy with NATE certification? This is also assuming they have similar hands on work experience.

i think the truth is that it doesn't matter. your employer will give you 90 days to prove your worth. that stuff looks good on an application but you would be surprised at how some employers have less knowledge than even you in your Inquisition state. if it does matter in some places then i would have to believe that this too is completely subjective as i have met some of the most well educated morons in the world in my day. but i think you can test out of nate which means if you know your stuff take the test....please correct me if im wrong.

Speaking personally from a Commerical Food Equipment perspective it is just nice to find someone who has experience with the equipment. It is so hard to find that mainly because there is no school that teaches on that equipment. Training a HVAC schooled guy up on Food Equipment can be costly. Also being able to do both Cold and Hot side equipment is a game changer.

ah.....so if your in the bizz you have to recruit.......sorry the TV ..is to busy telling every one to become massively in debt obtaining a college degree that im not sure amounts to squat in the field........promote from with in is all i can suggest.....but you probably knew that already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast