Thread: furnace venting

I got a house with a 7in vent running 21ft up alongside. Inside the one room basement is a Carrier 75k and a small water heater vented with a 4in sloping alittle connecting out to the 7in. I bought 25ft of 5in B vent at the store. The inspector called and said to go back to the store and get the sizing chart. He thinks a 3in outlet and a 4in outlet are OK with the 5in but isn't sure. I'm going to run straight up through the house with the firestops and the 1in clearance. Is 5in ok?

If you go to your supply house, they should have a vent table there. They will give it to you free of charge.

Thanks, I saw in the old thread to download the Simpson Duravent Sizing Handbook from duravent.com. It's about 50 pages and really good. It's about two months later and I'm just finishing up the job. When I installed the furnace at my other house I thought pushing 4" B vent down a chimney was tough. Well cutting through a floor and two ceilings and the roof and pushing the 5" B vent down was alot tougher. And as far as the actual sizing goes, sizing the common vent is easy, whereas sizing the vent connectors ran me into a problem. I couldn't go 3/4/5 because both appliances are Draft hood and there only 1-2 feet of connector rise.

(we can't help DIY, due to site rules )

I graduated from the Cleve. Inst. of Tech. on Walford in the 80's. I am a 3rd Class Stationary Engineer licensed to operate high pressure boilers. Just because I don't go into people's houses to service HVAC doesn't make me any less of a pro than you. I work in a School System and do it there. So I came to this site to get some insight on a job I don't do too often.

Mod01 Guest
    You may not be less of a professional, but you are definitely outside of your realm of knowledge.

I suggest attempting to register as pro member as we won't give the type of guidance you desire in the resi section.

Have a nice day, mod01.