Trane noise levels

Have finally narrowed down the compresser choice between 2.5 ton Trane XR15 and XL15i. Would like to go with the XR15, but concerned about the noise level. Looking for advice to see if it's worth the extra cost for the (quieter?) XL15i model. The unit will be near a bedroom window, and near a deck. Is the XR15 that much noisier? is there a noticeable difference between the decibel levels? Thanks.

If noise is a serious concern, also consider one of the top of the line Lennox condensers. I have a 3 ton Trane XL20i on one side of the house, and a 4 ton Lennox XC21 on the other side. Even though the dbA ratings are close, the real-world sound difference is like night and day. The Trane has more of a buzzing sound, whereas the Lennox has more of a low-pitched rushing air sound. The quality of the Lennox sound is a lot more pleasant. Ours is right next to the master bedroom window and absolutely can't hear a thing, even with a 4-ton, it's amazing. As for your original question if you stick with Trane, I would personally get the XL15i because every little bit of sound level drop will help over the long term of having to listen to it every night on those hot summer nights.

If noise is an issue, go hear the unit.

I was at a house recently and heard the next door unit running. Gees that's loud, I thought. Looked over and saw an XLi unit and was surprised. But Trane is far from the quietest out there. To most, it's just fine. But if critical, hear it first.

I had a Trane XL15i installed last August. It's quiet when running but noisy on start-up for a few seconds. Better listen to one before you buy.

I have sold every trane from the xr13 to xl20i. They are all quiet. The xl line will be quieter. I myself have the xr15 and love it in my home. The xl15 is trane's quietest single stage unit but at the time I installed the xr 15 a year and have though it was turning better seer ratings so that is why I put the system in my home. Either way you go I believe you will be happy with either!

So recap if you want trane's quietest single stage unit go with the xl15, if you want a good trane system and save a few dollars go with the trane xr15.

I thought my 12y old XE1200 was noisy.. but when I switched to a Carrier Performance, I got just a marginal improvement on the noise side.
    Don't know about Trane, but I know that the Carrier top of the line compressor would be much better.. I assume the Trane top of the line would be the same. It's about what quiet is worth to you, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by rayjbad View Post
    Have finally narrowed down the compresser choice between 2.5 ton Trane XR15 and XL15i. Would like to go with the XR15, but concerned about the noise level. Looking for advice to see if it's worth the extra cost for the (quieter?) XL15i model. The unit will be near a bedroom window, and near a deck. Is the XR15 that much noisier? is there a noticeable difference between the decibel levels? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crayx4 View Post
    I thought my 12y old XE1200 was noisy.. but when I switched to a Carrier Performance, I got just a marginal improvement on the noise side.
    Don't know about Trane, but I know that the Carrier top of the line compressor would be much better.. I assume the Trane top of the line would be the same. It's about what quiet is worth to you, I guess...
    If noise is the big issue, you should all try out the Lennox XC21. My 4-ton XC21 is so quiet it makes my 3-ton Trane XL20i sound like an alarm buzzer in comparison! It's all relative... when people say a unit is quiet, then the question should be: quiet relative to what? I have also come to realize that manufacturer dBA noise ratings are a bunch of B.S. You have to listen to all the models to really tell.. and I have both Trane and Lennox and the Lennox just blows away the Train in the quiet department..

The lennox XC series are the quietest condensers on the market. Period.

The XR15 is the best bang for the buck Trane condenser, but the XL15i will get a 12 yr. compressor warranty. The noise levels between the two are marginal. Same fan blade/motor design, same compressor etc. The only real difference is the top and the outside coil is a bit bigger on the XL

If noise level is absolutely paramount Lennox is the best bet but thats the only edge it really has over Trane stuff IMO especially when it comes to the matching air handlers
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

TRANE xl20i buzzing noise

I recenlly had a new TRANE xl20i installed. The system performs well and I like my dealer. We are noticing an annoying buzzing noise when the compressor is at the lower stage operation. It drives my neighbor nuts. Is there anything that can be done to reduce this sound?