Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

portable vs wholehouse dehumidifier

Pricing Removed
    On the sales brochure apparently whole-house dehumidifiers are more efficient and less costly to operate than portable unit. Is that verified in real life?

I just had my portable LG dehumidifier die and i am wondering if it's really worthwhile getting a whole-house unit.

What would you recommend and what brand?
    Last edited by Dad; 06-16-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Its darn near impossible to give you good advice without knowing where you are.
    If you live in a high humidity area its well worth the cost.If you only use it a few weeks out of the year then a portable is a better option.If you need a whole house unit there are serveral good ones.The only one I know about is the Aprilaire one .It is carried by HVAC wholesalers all over the country.The Company is old and very trusted and quality minded.

Kind of like asking about the difference in a unicycle versus a motorcycle. They're made to do two entirely different jobs. The portable unit is quite satisfactory for one room. But if you need to have the whole house done or the entire basement, for example, then you need a system sized accordingly. Enter the whole house dehumidifier.

It's simply a matter of understanding that not all appliances are made for the same job, despite their using the same technology.

i am in Northern Virginia where humidity gets high from mid-Spring to the Fall.
    In the basement I get, ~60% humidity during dry weather and it reaches the 70% when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by antheo View Post
    i am in Northern Virginia where humidity gets high from mid-Spring to the Fall.
    In the basement I get, ~60% humidity during dry weather and it reaches the 70% when it rains.
    For the ultimate in whole house humidity control, attach the whole house dehumidifier dry air supply to the air handler supply. Connect the dehu return to an open part of the home. This type of install allow whole dehumidification without operating the blower of the air handler. It is important to have a powerful blower in the dehu to overcome the duct pressure of the air handler. ULtra-Aire WHdehus can operate with .4-.7 in.WG duct pressure. I would also investigate adding fresh make-up air to the home. Most home do not get enough fresh air during calm winds and mild temps. UA is the granddaddy of the WHDehus and has the highest efficiency.
    If you can not afford the installation of the UA, consider the non ducted Santa Fe dehu for free standing humidity control. Testing shows that maintaining <50%RH in an open part of the home with routine circulation of air by the air handler is also effective and controlling the whole house. There will be more noise in the area where the dehu is located. Limiting the dehu operation to hours when the area is not used also makes the free standing dehu more acceptable.
    The Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe dehu are the world leader for efficiency and reliability. I am sure there are other heavy duty dehus that are acceptable. I work for the U-A/SF.

Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

I might add the Santa Fe line is a stand alone appliance and does not require nearly the same installation as a whole house dehumidifier integrated into the existing duct system. There is provision to add simple ducting to the Santa Fe at a later time if desired -- although the controls vs. Ultra-Aire are entirely different. Cost of the Santa Fe line lies neatly between the two the OP mentioned.

If you want energy efficiency you might look at the ampere draw of each dehu, or the pints/kwh rating. This is where the Thermastor product usually shines.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

update

Do not post pricing. Please read the site rules.
    Last edited by Dad; 06-16-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: pricing

Is that normal for the Lennox HCWH-065 dehumidifier to cost $2000 more than the Aprilaire 1770A and Honeywell TrueDRY™ DH150 ?

I am wondering if it is worth getting someone from Ultra Aire. Is the pricing of Ultra-Aire close to Aprilaire or closer to Lennox?

Quote Originally Posted by antheo View Post
    Is that normal for the Lennox HCWH-065 dehumidifier to cost $2000 more than the Aprilaire 1770A and Honeywell TrueDRY™ DH150 ?

I am wondering if it is worth getting someone from Ultra Aire. Is the pricing of Ultra-Aire close to Aprilaire or closer to Lennox?

Thanks for the reported post but this is a comparison price difference. Poster asked permission before posting.

thx

What are you trying to dehumidify, and for what purpose?

I use dehumidifier that my parents had back in the eary 80s. It's about the size of a computer tower, and it dehumidifies my basement. It's good for what it does.

So, again, what are you attempting to acheive?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    What are you trying to dehumidify, and for what purpose?

I use dehumidifier that my parents had back in the eary 80s. It's about the size of a computer tower, and it dehumidifies my basement. It's good for what it does.

So, again, what are you attempting to acheive?
    Thanks for asking. I had a $200 portable dehumidifier that lasted a a year and half. It did a good job but needed to be frequently emptied, was noisy (even though rated a one of the quieter ones) and consumed a significant amount of electricity.

My basement gets to 70% of humidity easily right now. 64% if the outside humidity is low for several days. I read the specs on several whole house dehumidifier, saw that they are more power efficient and don't require to be emptied manually so I am trying to determine if it's worth installing a whole-house dehumidifier.

Have you considered that option as well?

Antheo,

It's been mentioned before, but have you looked at the Santa Fe (Thermastor) line as well? They are sold at retail and have a price point significantly different from the whole house models.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast