Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP! My Supply Feeds Are Dripping With Condensation!!!

I have a BRAND NEW LENNOX split system. It's hot here right now and the new system is still working properly as in it is still cranking out ice cold air and keeping my house at the temp that I set it at but both of the ducts that feed the house with the cool air are sweating profusely and dripping all over the floor.

Obviously I will be calling the Lennox dealer who installed the unit but I would love for you to give me a bit of education so that when they come out, they don't try to blow smoke up my butt and tell me that this is normal. I know that it is not because with the system that I had for the last twenty years, those same supply feeds never even got moist, let alone so soaking wet that they are dripping all over the floor.

The only thing that I've read so far is the possibility of a clogged line on the condensation pump. I can't imagine that in only one months time, that there could be enough algae to be clogging anything.

HELP!

Where is the unit located? attic, crawlspace...Probably just a lack insulation in or on the ducts.Ideally the ducts should be insulated either inside or on the outside.Post some pics.

You saw "BRAND NEW" system...how long has the unit been running and are the ducts located in the conditioned space?

If the unit has only been running for a few hours and the humidity is still high then the duct that is in the conditioned space will sweat until the humidity level drops below dew point. If these sweating ducts are in the attic or crawlspace, then as skibme said, they should be insulated.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks for answering. I can't take photos right now but the ducts are the supply ducts coming off of the unit which is in the basement.

I'm pretty sure there is no insulation on the inside of the ducts and I know for a fact that there is no insulation on the outside. Is this the usual reason for this kind of sweating on the ductwork?

Is this what I should suggest if the tech tries to tell me that this is normal?

The system is about one month old. Has been and still is working fine except for this sweating duct problem.

The system and sweating ducts are in the basement. I keep the supply vents closed in the basement because it remains plenty cool enough down there without them.

I guess I'm looking for things to know and say when the technician comes to the house.

You have 4 choices.

1. Open supply and return vents in basement to condition the air and remove humidity.
    2. Raise temp at thermostat to the point that the temp of the duct is higher than the dewpoint of the air in the basement.
    3. Insulate the duct that is sweating.
    4. Use dehumidifier in basement.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

This might be the problem. I keep the supply vents closed in the basement because it remains plenty cool enough down there without them.

Some companies don't insulate ducts in conditioned spaces. Wipe the moisture off completely, then open the vents up.

Thanks Folks!

Give the a/c a chance to dryout the home. The t-stat should be set on "auto" blower to max the amount of moisture removed. Close all outside windows/vents in the crawl/basement. Monitor the temp/%RH throughout the home.
    Colder ducts sweat more but colder air is dehumidified more. You want 50%RH in a finished basement. If only a small amount of duct sweats, insulating the cold spot with a closed cell foam is good. <60%RH in an unfinished basement. After maxing the dehumidification from the a/c, get a good dehumidifier to maintain 50-60%RH in the space.
    The Santa Fe Compact is real good one.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Check supply and return TD at A/ H

Teddy Bear,
    I haven't checked in the basement but the RH on the main floor has remained between 45% and 55%. Only half of the basement is finished but we never use it as such.

How do I "max out the dehumidification of my system?"

Why have the T-stat on auto as apposed to on all of the time. The later was suggested by the installers when they put it in. It has a two speed fan and when the AC is not running, the fan winds down to a slower setting but continues to run. Is this not the right way to go about it?

Cool Perfect,
    I'm not a pro or even a DIYer. I don't understand your answer because I don't know what the abreviations stand for. Please explain further. Thanks.

The temp. difference between supply and return at the unit.A unit that does not move enough air will cause the supply to run colder .The difference should not be more than 20 deg. With 17 best

OK, how does one take the air tempurature inside the supply and return ducts?

If the system is not moving enough air, what would be the cause? This new unit is 1/2 ton bigger than the old unit. The reason for this is because the old 2 ton unit was never able to get down to target temp when it got hot outside. If this system is oversized for the duct work, could this be the problem?

If so, what in the hell can I do about it now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast