+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any automotive ac techs here?

Post Likes

Any automotive ac techs here?

Was trying to change schrader valve core on low side valve and the valve broke and ripped from the metal and now I need to replace the part because in Georgia's hot summers my daughter (3 yr old) shouldn't be exposed to that heat in my little car.

So I am trying to get this fixed myself so I am going to a place called pull a part looking for the piece that ripped and had a question about the procedure for brazing it back on.

I have some MAPP gas at the moment and am not dealing with copper tubing. I understand when dealing with copper you heat it until its cherry red then capillary attraction will occur with the other metal.

The issue is the tubing in the vehicle is not copper its a silver looking metal. probably has aluminum in it being it ripped so easily. what kind of tip will I need for using MAPP gas to join the metals. If the information is needed I have a 1990 Honda Accord.

Post Likes
    You should really replace the entire part or pipe that the fitting you ripped off is attached to.

Post Likes
    Yeah, you want to pull the whole suction hose, if that is what it is hooked to, and check o-rings .

A parts store may be able to sell you just the part of the line you need and crimp it to your current barrier hose.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    i just need to replace the schrader valve which i found. all i needed to do was swedge the ends to females and now all i need is to braze it on. I was asking which tip for MAPP gas should i use as i have never done this on a vehicle. i already cut the piece off using my pipe cutters.
    Last edited by Rmorales; 06-09-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot to put additional information

Post Likes
    I don't use map gas so I don't have a clue on tip size. I don't think it will be near as important as getting it really clean and not melting the base metal.

I've never heard of anyone trying to do something like that on thin wall aluminum tubing. Let us know how it goes.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    Buddy; end the pain, change the whole line, its cheaper and it will not cause you any pain to do it...
    If you hit that line with Mapp Gas, you will melt it like butter, then need to change the line anyways. Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Well it wont hurt to try to fix it the way i am doing it as if i burn it it wasnt working anyway. i found out i need to solder it and there are tips for soldering aluminum piping. so i believe it to be possible . I will post here when i do it and post if it was successful or not.

Post Likes
    chungerweld DOT com

(although I agree w/ others, replace the whole piece and get on w/ life)

Post Likes
    Ya, soldering aluminum is easy if you've never done it before......LOL

Post Likes
    Don't be so hard headed cuz your not gonna have any luck. Buy the hose or whatever you need to fix it right. It's very hot under the hood of the car and the pressure will be very high when the ac is off. Your idea is noble but total waste of time IMO
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    If you do get the part soldered to the aluminum tubing, it will not last.

You will be replacing the whole part-assembly sooner that you think.

Post Likes
    If the hole is small ,and tubing stright put a tap a line over it,fix leak and have a place to charge at the same time.

Post Likes
    IIRC you need a 609 license to work on MVAC and 608 won't cut it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    IIRC you need a 609 license to work on MVAC and 608 won't cut it.
    Thank you for stating the obvious !!!

Get a new hose from the dealer and replace the broken one. You could use the aluminum repair rods, but that joint will fail sooner rather than later, and you will be just dumping more 134a into the atmosphere.

PS
    Tip size is irrelevant in your case
    Extended dehydration is the key

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in