Thread: walk in cooler

Confused walk in cooler

I was working on a walkin cooler to night. weather got bad so I had to leave and go back tomarrow. the comprsor was going off on over load (high limit)
    was pulling 23 amps rated for 12 or 13. 300 high line temp was 97. 25 low (i think temp was 57. not sure what freon in it.with a marker all i could read was r40? the tag on the unit was r12. the compresor is only 3 mounts old so i dont think its r12. the cooler temp 46 about 85-90 out side.
    when the compresor was put in thay left the old liq dryer in.
    Can someone tell what freon is in there by the presure iam running? or am i running high head?
    is the high run amps do to freon?
    if the potential relay is bad could this make high amps?
    any in put would be great. I dont work on alot of cooler so just wonted some in put.
    I only had 15 minutes on the job before the weather and it got dark so i will be headed there again to see what is going on.
    thanks for all the help.

If it help is a Copland M# lamb-031a-cab-800 S# 09e65683r
    the start cap was 195-235 (was getting 225) the run was 40 (geting 37.9)

if the relay was sticking making it stay in the circuit u will get higer amp draws and will trip overload

you could pump the unit down and read pressure in condensor. then check out your p/t chart and see what refrigerant you have.

It is probably 401a or 409.

300 lbs is about 150 condensing

150 condensing is too high. Hell; at just 200 lbs. I would be looking for issues. That huge head pressure is why the compressor is drawing high amps.

First clean both coils, especially the condenser. Really Clean! See-thru clean.

Next; remove all the refrigerant and evacuate the system. Replace the LLD - make it a decent size for the system.

Charge in the R-12 substitute of your choice - I would use R-414 if it were me. Get the subcooling to about 5-6 while making sure that the pressures are not doing anything alarming. If they are - check to find out why.

As the box temp falls the SSH will fall into line. If not; add some refrigerant and check it again. About 8-10 SC with the box near within 10 of design is what you are looking for.

Forget the exotic maybes - get the basics right and you will almost always be pleased to find that all the crazy stuff has somehow gone away on it's own.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by GREGHVACGUY View Post
    I was working on a walkin cooler to night. weather got bad so I had to leave and go back tomarrow. the comprsor was going off on over load (high limit)
    was pulling 23 amps rated for 12 or 13. 300 high line temp was 97. 25 low (i think temp was 57. not sure what freon in it.with a marker all i could read was r40? the tag on the unit was r12. the compresor is only 3 mounts old so i dont think its r12. the cooler temp 46 about 85-90 out side.
    when the compresor was put in thay left the old liq dryer in.
    Can someone tell what freon is in there by the presure iam running? or am i running high head?
    is the high run amps do to freon?
    if the potential relay is bad could this make high amps?
    any in put would be great. I dont work on alot of cooler so just wonted some in put.
    I only had 15 minutes on the job before the weather and it got dark so i will be headed there again to see what is going on.
    thanks for all the help.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Is 'refrigeration and ice" NOT a Pro forum ?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    Thread moved
    PHM
    --------

Oh! I did not know that

I'll have to keep an eye out for that distinction.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    There are 2 refrigeration and ice making forums. An open forum and a Pro forum.
    PHM
    --------