Any reviews on the Testo 557?

Since I'm in the market for a new micron gauge, I figured I would try the digital manifold with micron gauge built in.
    I've read the bugs in the Testo 550 model, just wondering if they were rectified with the 557 model?
    I've seen these on sale for only $100 more than the SMAN3. I've regetted most Fieldpiece product purchases, so the $100 savings isn't going to make me purchase something I don't have faith in. I can't afford the Yellow Jacket set for nearly $800, and the Digi-cools don't have a micron gauge.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Since I'm in the market for a new micron gauge, I figured I would try the digital manifold with micron gauge built in.
    I've read the bugs in the Testo 550 model, just wondering if they were rectified with the 557 model?
    I've seen these on sale for only $100 more than the SMAN3. I've regetted most Fieldpiece product purchases, so the $100 savings isn't going to make me purchase something I don't have faith in. I can't afford the Yellow Jacket set for nearly $800, and the Digi-cools don't have a micron gauge.
    Genius,
    If you have any Fieldpiece products that you are having trouble with or are not happy with, give us a call so we can see if we can help. Ask for Russ or Travis. 714-634-1844

Travis

The 557 is a great digital gauge, and the 550 has had bugs worked out for a long time. TruTech Tools did a full review of the 557 here.

http://www.trutechtools.com/Testo-55...tion_b_20.html

I however would recommend for evacuation that you consider two 1/2" x 1/4" hoses for your vacuum pump, and two vacuum rated core tools and a BluVac Vacuum gauge. If you are going to evacuate, and speed is a factor this set up is much better, and isolation from the hoses via core tools it important to determine your final level of vacuum.

As far as the 557, it can use a low resolution gauge for evacuation if it is used properly. It is designed to test for leakage using a temperature compensated pressure drop test then evacuation with a rough micron gauge, 500 micron resolution. It will tell you is you have adequate vacuum, below 500 microns, just not how far below you really are.

As far as accuracy the 557 is top notch if you want a digital gauge set and it is reasonably priced Read the review for more information. While the vacuum gauge is not the primary reason I would buy it is it a good secondary reason.
    JLB,

Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post
    Genius,
    If you have any Fieldpiece products that you are having trouble with or are not happy with, give us a call so we can see if we can help. Ask for Russ or Travis. 714-634-1844

Travis
    Thank you for the response, I just might give them a ring. Have issues with the SOX2 and dual port manometer.

Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    The 557 is a great digital gauge, and the 550 has had bugs worked out for a long time. TruTech Tools did a full review of the 557 here.

http://www.trutechtools.com/Testo-55...tion_b_20.html

I however would recommend for evacuation that you consider two 1/2" x 1/4" hoses for your vacuum pump, and two vacuum rated core tools and a BluVac Vacuum gauge. If you are going to evacuate, and speed is a factor this set up is much better, and isolation from the hoses via core tools it important to determine your final level of vacuum.

As far as the 557, it can use a low resolution gauge for evacuation if it is used properly. It is designed to test for leakage using a temperature compensated pressure drop test then evacuation with a rough micron gauge, 500 micron resolution. It will tell you is you have adequate vacuum, below 500 microns, just not how far below you really are.

As far as accuracy the 557 is top notch if you want a digital gauge set and it is reasonably priced Read the review for more information. While the vacuum gauge is not the primary reason I would buy it is it a good secondary reason.
    Thanks for the response Jim. I'm going to look at that test. Everyone seems to be raving about that Bluvac, must be good.

Just ordered from TrueTech. Should be here by Thur. I can post initial impressions of performance and quality next week.