So I ended up getting a Trane XL15i 2 tonne heat pump installed by CR Martin Heating.
Before I get to my question, here is some quick background info:
- square footage of house using forced air is approx 1800 sq ft
- house is about 6-7 years old, not drafty at all
- house faces west so summer sun sets in front of the house where most of the windows are located
- inside temp can get to about 96 degrees after a few hot days
- running heil furnace with 2.5 tonne blower and 75,000 btu
- 10 vents in the house
So after a couple days of warm weather, the outside temp was about 78-79 degrees, inside temp was about 77 degrees. I set my thermostat to cool at 70 degrees. The unit ran for about 2.5 hours and the inside temp had only come down to 75 degrees (from 77 degrees). To me this seemed too slow? Can this unit get my house down to 70 degrees? Could it be too small?
I spoke with the installer and he said it can take up to 5-6 hours of continuous running in this case to get from 77 degrees to 70 degrees however once the that temp is reached it will turn on periodically to maintain. Does this seem correct or is he feeding me bs?
Appreciate your comments guys!