+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motor life without greased bearings?

Post Likes
    I would like to hear some opinions on how long an electric blower motor, with grease fittings, will last when it has never been greased since it was purchased and put in service, regardless of the horsepower rating. A motor that runs 24 hours a day. How many years of service will occur before the motors begin to fail?

Post Likes
    Not sure, but I've heard from motor shop guys that they repair/replace more motors for being overgreased than not greased.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Post Likes
    Unless you are 100% certain about the amount of grease to use, the type if grease to use, and the proper procedure for applying the grease to those fittings, do NOT connect a grease gun to those fittings!

Post Likes
    i say it depend on what the application is. like say a hot water close coupled pump versus a coupled chill water pump. one needing more frequent greasing than the other.

agree with dave too, if you don't carefully select your grease your doomed from startup. dont mix the greases. and if you dont know whats in it whatch out.

Post Likes
    I don't know about other applications but my pool pump/motor seems to last about 1 year. I've had it replaced twice in the last 24-30 months due to no grease. I have (had) a pool service take care of it before and they always said they greased it on a monthly basis but the armature shop said there wasn't a lick of grease to be found.

Post Likes
    Greasing motor bearings can be a dammed if you do or dammed if you do not. I do not like greasing motors. I have seen motors that were 20 years plus with out grease being added with a problem. And I seen motors in a new building go out before the first PM. I have never greased a motor witthout thinking about the motors that I had to clean out.
    So for how long a motor will last the answer is yes.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in