Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In defense for Chris Titus

I try not to pay too much attention to extreme views of the news, left or right. I do like The Daily Caller even though it can lean a bit too far to the right at times. In the case of comments made by the comedian Chris Titus, I think artistic license supercedes images of hatefulness.

Chris Titus is being attacked by some conservatives for crossing the line of comedy by making this statement about Sarah Palin; [quote]
    “You know what man?” Titus said. “I am going to literally — if she gets elected president, I am going to hang out on the grassy knoll all the time, just loaded and ready — because you know what? It’s for my country. It’s for my country. If I got to sacrifice myself, it’s for my country.”[/quote]

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/07/co...#ixzz1OgmdCADI

If you look at the kind of comedy that Chris Titus does, and his absurd references to violent acts, it puts Titus's comments about Palin more into perspective of comedic satire.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQcO6...eature=related

I don't know. I will not be thinking badly of Chris Titus for this. How do others here feel about it?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

As much as I like Titus (loved his short lived TV show), that is a little over the line. To threaten to kill someone is not really comedy, just my little point of view...
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Let me put it this way robo when "comedians" start making over the top jokes about killing liberal Democrats and other anti Americans I still would find it offensive but at least I won't take it as a direct hit my the commie left to defame and smear conservative Americans.

I will not accept that since it is only done to our side and condoned by the press and the Democratic establishment. Let someone say they want to kill Harry Reed as part of a "joke". The FBI, the press and the whole government will be all over that person and he will never know what hit him. I'm sorry I will not accept this kind of humor against Americans by the "untouchable" left. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    As much as I like Titus (loved his short lived TV show), that is a little over the line. To threaten to kill someone is not really comedy, just my little point of view...
    If Titus had not used killing people parodies in his comedy already, I may agree. But Titus's talking about killing people for stupid reasons is all part of his schtick. Is it really any worse than Bill Cosby telling his children that he brought them into this world and he can take them out?

Then there is Dennis Miller's dead pan answer to "You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers."....his answer: "Whatever!"

I just don't like to hear conservatives whining about what others say the way I come down on liberals for doing. It's a free country....isn't it? Sticks and stones and all that stuff? Should "If you put sheet on my bed, I kill you!" be looked at as a Mexican death threat now? I don't want to stop laughing over stupid inuendos of killing someone. I still like telling people who ask me questions; "Yes, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Let me put it this way robo when "comedians" start making over the top jokes about killing liberal Democrats and other anti Americans I still would find it offensive but at least I won't take it as a direct hit my the commie left to defame and smear conservative Americans.

I will not accept that since it is only done to our side and condoned by the press and the Democratic establishment. Let someone say they want to kill Harry Reed as part of a "joke". The FBI, the press and the whole government will be all over that person and he will never know what hit him. I'm sorry I will not accept this kind of humor against Americans by the "untouchable" left. Thank you, thank you very much
    You are not judging the comedy for it's own merits but rather saying that if it can't be said about liberals then it shouldn't be said about conservatives.

How about we support our Constitutional rights and demand that the left stop whining about jokes about liberals and let's allow comedy to be what it is meant to be; funny.

If you think it is wrong that comedians can't joke about harming liberals, then you must think it is wrong that comedians can't joke about conservatives.

Aside from this comedian not having his facts straight about what Palin said, he is using a scenario that has always been officially denied to make his point about his thoughts that Palin would not be a good president. After all, the official report is that no one ever fired a shot from the infamous grassy knoll.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You are not judging the comedy for it's own merits but rather saying that if it can't be said about liberals then it shouldn't be said about conservatives.

How about we support our Constitutional rights and demand that the left stop whining about jokes about liberals and let's allow comedy to be what it is meant to be; funny.

If you think it is wrong that comedians can't joke about harming liberals, then you must think it is wrong that comedians can't joke about conservatives.

Aside from this comedian not having his facts straight about what Palin said, he is using a scenario that has always been officially denied to make his point about his thoughts that Palin would not be a good president. After all, the official report is that no one ever fired a shot from the infamous grassy knoll.
    Well lets just say I won't go along with the double standard here. Anyhow I have heard from a good source that it was Hillary who was the sniper on the grassy knoll.

She has skated all her life since then. File gate, Whitegate (over 100 times she said she can't remember under oath), cattle gate (cattle options $1,000 investment turns to $100,000. in ten months and she did not manage it) Travelgate, etc. Yeah she was the one on the grassy knoll. Never got along with the Kennedy's and that's why they hate her. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well lets just say I won't go along with the double standard here. Anyhow I have heard from a good source that it was Hillary who was the sniper on the grassy knoll.

She has skated all her life since then. File gate, Whitegate (over 100 times she said she can't remember under oath), cattle gate (cattle options $1,000 investment turns to $100,000. in ten months and she did not manage it) Travelgate, etc. Yeah she was the one on the grassy knoll. Never got along with the Kennedy's and that's why they hate her. Thank you, thank you very much
    I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Not like she didn't have something to do with the deaths of Vince Foster, James McDougal and dozens of others who got in her way.

So, would it have been ok for Titus to have made the same comments about Hillary Clinton?

Have not read the thread...

What worries me is: Chris may be joking... however a nut-case may take it as a prophetic notion and try it.

I think there should be a hard line concerning jokes about taking a life. To take a life for less than personal protection (or the state executing a criminal), is IMO just wrong.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I do not consider many within the entertainment industry what I would call stable individuals at all.

I would think such a comment warrants caution and consideration, more has been done for less by average citizens and I gift no celebrity type special privileges.

As for the humor of the joke, nope, I do not see it, but it lacks irony and truth, two important components of humor for me to appreciate.

As far as she goes, she is a voluntary addition to the spotlight, IMHO that invites significant increases in the latitude one gets when expressing their opinions. A lot of comics have assisting writers, it is possible it is not 100% his own creation. IMHO such a factoid would indeed satisfy that he is indeed not a threat, just a comic with bad taste in some folks views.

I do not want her for president, but I would joke about her being hot before I would joke about her dieing.

Not the end of the world either way, likely a lot of media hype on it though, they thrive on BS

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Have not read the thread...

What worries me is: Chris may be joking... however a nut-case may take it as a prophetic notion and try it.

I think there should be a hard line concerning jokes about taking a life. To take a life for less than personal protection (or the state executing a criminal), is IMO just wrong.
    I have never seriously thought that Chris Titus, Bill Cosby or Dennis Miller have ever actually promoted the taking of a life nor do I believe any of them have ever taken anyone elses life. I do believe that all of them are humorous in their depictions of paradizing taking someone's life for the sake of comedy.

If a nutcase kills someone because that nutcase thought some comedian's jokes were prophetic, then that nutcase needs to be dealt with legally. I should not be held responsible for you becoming a homosexual just because I may tell you to kiss my butt.

Seriously, just how pc are we supposed to be? If we begin censoring content of jokes, we may as well just shut up, because someone can always take anything that we say in a way that was not truly meant to be.

What really rattles my cage about this is that a conservative leaning entity is doing exactly what we criticize liberals for doing.

I have never seriously thought that Chris Titus, Bill Cosby or Dennis Miller have ever actually promoted the taking of a life nor do I believe any of them have ever taken anyone elses life. I do believe that all of them are humorous in their depictions of paradizing taking someone's life for the sake of comedy.

If a nutcase kills someone because that nutcase thought some comedian's jokes were prophetic, then that nutcase needs to be dealt with legally. I should not be held responsible for you becoming a homosexual just because I may tell you to kiss my butt.

Seriously, just how pc are we supposed to be? If we begin censoring content of jokes, we may as well just shut up, because someone can always take anything that we say in a way that was not truly meant to be.

What really rattles my cage about this is that a conservative leaning entity is doing exactly what we criticize liberals for doing.
    Granted, I am not a fan of comedy... so I am speaking from the outside:

I do think joking about killing folks is over the line though... just my

This 'anything goes' society does seem to have more nut-cases than the older and more structured society our parents and grandparents had.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post
    I do not consider many within the entertainment industry what I would call stable individuals at all.

I would think such a comment warrants caution and consideration, more has been done for less by average citizens and I gift no celebrity type special privileges.

As for the humor of the joke, nope, I do not see it, but it lacks irony and truth, two important components of humor for me to appreciate.

As far as she goes, she is a voluntary addition to the spotlight, IMHO that invites significant increases in the latitude one gets when expressing their opinions. A lot of comics have assisting writers, it is possible it is not 100% his own creation. IMHO such a factoid would indeed satisfy that he is indeed not a threat, just a comic with bad taste in some folks views.

I do not want her for president, but I would joke about her being hot before I would joke about her dieing.

Not the end of the world either way, likely a lot of media hype on it though, they thrive on BS
    It it the conservative media hype and BS that is bothering me. As a person who feels I can be both conservative and liberal at the same time for different features of issues, it bothers me when a conservative leaning media does the exact same thing it criticizes liberals for doing.

Just put Hillary Clinton's name in place of Sarah Palin's name in Titus's comment and see if it isn't funny.

The joke is the extreme that someone is admitting to go to in order to save the U.S. from what that person perceives to be bad for the U.S.

I just thought of a funny scenario; I'd love to see a cartoon of O'Bummer in a motorcade driving down a road with nothing but grassy knolls on both sides....NOW THAT'S FUNNY!

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. Not like she didn't have something to do with the deaths of Vince Foster, James McDougal and dozens of others who got in her way.

So, would it have been ok for Titus to have made the same comments about Hillary Clinton?
    Well at least she would be a far more deserving target for such a "joke" than sweet Sarah Palin. Check out this famous funny Sarah Palin turkey snuff film. Thank you, thank you very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu785...1&feature=fvwp
    Barry Goldwater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast