Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Gas Furnace Brand

Post Likes
    I want a Goodman Robin.

As soon as my bullet proof UGRA bites it

on a less positive note there are sure a lot of ass clowns here
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes

I beg to differ on this opinion, the Nordyne of the past was essentially a junk

Quote Originally Posted by joeoilman View Post
    yep that's why i mentioned nordyne,QUALITY!!!! Fact!!!
    you young pups that follow the latest fad don't know about stuff like that.
    furnace. The big Nordyne brand in these parts was call Miller, absolute trash in a can.

I had a bad heat exchanger in the first year, Nordyne sent me a box with 1 inch tabs of metal to screw over the cracks at the front of the heat exchanger. These cracks were from the flame touching the heat exchanger on start up, a commom problem. The customer didn't like the option so I changed out the furnace. He sued, I am sure he wasted his time suing.

I didn't install the original furnace, the other guy bolted, I don't blame him the furnace had several other problems.

I speak of the old Nordyne, which competed with Janitrol. I cannot speak for the Nordyne of today.
    I figure if I am going to sell Brand X, I might as well find the cheapest unit, and that is Goodman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    No one has said it yet, but in the climate of Dallas and the prospect of nat gas prices going thruthe roof in the next few yers (not to mention now), yu likely have AC - why not consider a heat pump? Would bet yu money you will be $$$ ahead within 4 years.
    The price of electric is going thru the roof also. And heatpumps don't work very well in the north. As a nation we need more Solar water heating, solar electric, wind, and others. I have some small systems for lighting for now.
    Here is an example of one for heat. Expensive though.
    http://store.altenergystore.com/Sola...Package/p5890/

I've put in a few Goodman units, and have never had any problems with any of them. As far as noise they were all in basements, and sounded quite. The Company I work for install Trane and Carrier, but all commercial. Talk about noisy! Anything is quite after you work on a Liebert unit.

Post Likes
    If it works it's good

Post Likes
    The only bad furnace with a bad history is the Big L, Lennox has been a troubled heating furnace for as long as I remember. Now I speak of the Lennox that made the pulse, whisper, complete heat, and my favorite, the dur-a crack heat exchanger.
    I havent seen a Lennox in 8 to 10 years, but I remember working for a Lennox dealer and all the trouble those things were, never could get just a replacement part, always a part kit to change a poor design or crap part to start with.
    I wouldn't heat a out house with a Lennox unit and can't believe that they are any better today then they were then or are they?
    I see alot of guys saying they are number 1 and think who are these dips? Have they not worked in this business for long? Do they not know the history behind a company that has never properly field tested any furnace before they turn it lose on the consumer, then realize it is a problem and start making new part kits to keep them running, or stop production or change the design.
    Or am I way off base? Did the big L change? Do they now make a some what reliable machine, I know the Lennox of yesterday, how is it today?

Post Likes

Hmm Brand bashing

I have been fortunate to have serviced every brand mentioned in this rant.
    I have seen problems with every brand of furnace. I also believe 80% of these problems was due to a poor installation. When i give a customer a free estimate to replace their aging furnace or a/c, i let them decide between a Trane or a Goodman. Goodman wins 90% of the time. Why should narrow minded ranting asswipes chose what system a customer buys?
    Last edited by probe; 09-16-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Post Likes
    Once the check clears ????? you ass clown. back up your work
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    This is some great saturday morning entertainment! Nice to have something funny to read since the old lady and kids woke up in a bad mood!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhvac View Post
    IN MY OPINION YOU ARE PAYING FOR A NAME WITH BIG BRANDS.
    I LIKE TO PUT IN GOODMAN. ALL PARTS ARE PROVEN QUALITY. YOU SHOULD ALSO LOOK AT REPLACING PARTS DOWN THE ROAD WITH YOU NEW UNIT WHICH FURNACES COST ALOT TO REPLACE THINGS CARRIER SEEMS TO CHARGE ALOT MORE THAN ANY OTHER FURNACES I'VE SEEN. GOODMAN SEEMS TO BE THE MOST COST EFFICENT FURNACE OUT THERE THEY USED TO BE A BAD COMPANY BUT HAVE MADE GREAT CHANGES THAY ARE THE #2 SELLING PRODUCT ON THE MARKET BEHIND CARRIER BUT CARRIER SELLS THERE PRODUCT UNDER ALL KINDS OF NAMES LIKE BRYANT, DUCANE AND LOTS MORE GIVES THEM THE ADVANTAGE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A QUITE FURNACE GO WITH A 2 STAGE FURNACE THEY COST ALOT MORE MONEY BUT DON'T BE FULLED THEY DO NOT SAVE YOU MONEY ON YOUR GAS BILL ONLY A LITTLE ON YOUR ELECRIC BILL I DO NOT THINK IT IS WORTH THE MONEY . I DO THICK 93% GOODMAN IS A GREAT FURNACE JUST GET A GOOD INSTALLER TO DO IT CALIBRATION IS THE KEY THIS OF COURSE IS WITH ANY BRAND YOU MAY WANT.
    wow coming from a Goodman dealer lol 1st off Ducane is made by Lennox not Carrier 2nd they are the #2 seller because there "cheap" i will put up a Ducane against any furnace on the market and i will win because i will do a heat loss and use a ductulator for duct sizing according to CFM and static pressure i would also use a 95% 2 stage with a ECM motor!!! wanna try me??? lol

Post Likes

The best furnace.

No one in the market yells "Rotten Fish", that said if you stick with a brand you will eliminated 90% of the hacks.

The way to eliminate the other 10% is to ask the contractors how they came up with the unit they are proposing. If they reply, because it is the size you have now move on to the next guy.

I would also write some specifications that must be followed, if you do not you will get the least possible installation. The basic specifications should include an easily (from the outside of the heater cabinet) means to change the filter, and these new items, gas shut off valve, a disconnect switch, and flue pipe from the heater to the chimney. A permit only if the township will send out a knowledgeable inspector, if they are sending out a dufus, then the permit fee is a tax, and worthless.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in