Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: acid burnout requires a compressor filter change?

Post Likes

acid burnout requires a compressor filter change?

My contractor replaced a 3 1/2 AC compressor ( Copelend) that failed via acid burnout. He used acid away and virgin Freon and the best part he left in the old gunked up contaminated compressor suction line Freon filter to feed the new copmpressor he put into service.

Of coarse the new compressor failed in just 13 months...my question would any of you HVAC pros leave in the contaminated suction filter after replacing a compressor that failed via an acid burnout? Even Copeland will not tell me that the suction line filter must be replaced under the above conditions.

if any of you pros have written instruction from Copelend that clearly state the filter must be replcaed please post the link to it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomkat862 View Post
    My contractor replaced a 3 1/2 AC compressor ( Copelend) that failed via acid burnout. He used acid away and virgin Freon and the best part he left in the old gunked up contaminated compressor suction line Freon filter to feed the new copmpressor he put into service.

Of coarse the new compressor failed in just 13 months...my question would any of you HVAC pros leave in the contaminated suction filter after replacing a compressor that failed via an acid burnout? Even Copeland will not tell me that the suction line filter must be replaced under the above conditions.

if any of you pros have written instruction from Copelend that clearly state the filter must be replcaed please post the link to it
    that is BS assuming you have proof of the old filter being left in....

question 23 , http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-US/...hnical.aspx#Q7

you get em tiger .... dont let them weasel out of this crap!

function "F" on page 3 http://mea.emersonclimate.com/mea/pdfs/tech/9304.pdf

"oh!, im sorry sir, its ONE FRIGGIN MONTH OVER OUR 12 MONTH WARRANTY " thats what they are saying right ?

i hate this crap .............. id jump the installing companies @$$ that is a low life scumbag way to do business !!!!!!!!!!!!

section 37 page #16 http://mea.emersonclimate.com/mea/pdfs/tech/9304.pdf

tellem to eat crow and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this helps i hope,

J.Hall
    Last edited by jeremyhall.tech.sc; 10-03-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Post Likes
    The proof is the old suction line filter still hooked up Jerk.

OP was referring to the contractor who left in the drier

Cleaned up language
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 10-03-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Cleaned up language

Post Likes
    Complete and utter nonsense. You replace ALL filters, suction and discharge, ESPECIALLY after a burnout. Even if the tech has to cut the old suction filter and braze a piece of copper in place of it you HAVE to remove it. Doesn't matter who made the compressor or the actual condensing unit your contractor commited a cardinal sin.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Removed Quote.

Was that really necessary tomkat?
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-03-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Removed offensive quote?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Not a good response in my opinion tomkat862. If you go back and read Jeremy past post you will see he has always tried to help without being negative toward the op. Please remember the pros on this site give advice for free without asking for anything in return. So as a fellow non hvac person I must ask you to please not call the pros who take the time to answer questions names. I would personally hate to loose these guys as a resource for the average joe blow that needs help. If I took your post wrong please accept my apology for this post.
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-03-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Removed DH

Post Likes
    Hey guys the beat part is when I get this crook in front of the local Contractors review board. I swear he really screwed up I left the failed AC unit untouched by any HVAC pro.

The Contractor Review board sent out an inspector to confirm the old filter was left inplace, All I wanted was for the crook to refund 90% of the $ he charged me.

We have 2 each 3 1/2 ton units for our hone and each Copeelnd compressor lasted 15 to 17 years before replacing.

Soory my first post I though I typed ..he's a Jerk I was not saying this to the replier

if anyone had written standards to the effect that the filter must be replaced please post a link to it hear.

The Crook contractor wrote me that I can not prove 100% that the compressor failure in just 13 months was caused by leaving in the old filter.

I was surprised it even lasted 13 months as the gunk in the filter must have caused hell in the system.
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 10-03-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: price and Cleaned up language

Post Likes

Angry

The proof is the old suction line filter still hooked up .......
    im trying to help you ? now call the kettle black again will ya?

i know youre frustrated ive seen this scenario many times and im all for helping you but dude you just insulted me for doing so ........... thats about all the help you're getting from me.......

J.Hall
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-03-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Removed DH

Post Likes
    wow that went down fast!!!!!!! glad to know its a misunderstanding and you arent insulting me. now go edit that post will ya?

Post Likes
    Sorry Jeremy.... I thought I type he's a Removed..

This was not directed to you my typing skill need more works

Thanks for the links.

This Crook contractor claimed he put in over 800 compressors and ours was the only failure ....

what he really means is the guy he bought this business name from put in 800 compressor before he retired...The fool I hired was a total joke.

Do not post anymore prices or use language like this here.
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-03-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Language

Post Likes

Unhappy

Sorry Jeremy.... I thought I type he's a ......

This was not directed to you my typing skill need more works

Thanks for the links.

This Crook contractor claimed he put in over 800 compressors and ours was the only failure ....

what he really means is the guy he bought this business name from put in 800 compressor before he retired...The fool I hired was a total joke.
    it happens (a lot actually) . and im not gonna play sides because ive been on both ends of this raw deal.

how ever , documentation and lots of pictures will get you through this battle.

get a written proposal youll probably have to go to the phone book and pay a service fee to get a company to the door for a appraisal of the system and its situation, mabey two or three and keep the written advice and the invoices....

or just go kick this installer in the balls ........ no nevermind dont do that sorry!

i feel your pain and i hate that a company as big a emmerson/scroll doesnt have the balls to own up and say yes its a horrible mistake and we want to fix the issue ................ they do have field techs you know? id call and schedule an app.t and give it to them hard.
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-03-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Same

Post Likes
    Hey guys the beat part is when I get this crook in front of the local Contractors review board. I swear he really screwed up I left the failed AC unit untouched by any HVAC pro.

The Contractor Review board sent out an inspector to confirm the old filter was left inplace, All I wanted was for the crook to refund 90% of the $ he charged me.

We have 2 each 3 1/2 ton units for our hone and each Copeelnd compressor lasted 15 to 17 years before replacing.

Soory my first post I though I typed ..he's a ..... I was not saying this to the replier

if anyone had written standards to the effect that the filter must be replaced please post a link to it hear.

The Crook contractor wrote me that I can not prove 100% that the compressor failure in just 13 months was caused by leaving in the old filter.

I was surprised it even lasted 13 months as the gunk in the filter must have caused hell in the system.
    do not rely on them! follow the above advice and place the items acquired in a folder and take with you the day of the review.........
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-03-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: price in quote

Post Likes

Angry

check out these videos on the scrolls performance.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapg3FbD9Es

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPhth...eature=related

thesse are tough machines only IDIOTS kill them prematurely!!!!!

i hate when guys dont take blame for their faults , what i hate even more is the companies like emmerson/ copeland that let them do it by showing no support for the customer who bought their products in the first place...........

anyway , flame over ..............

Post Likes
    I had several HVAC contractors give me estimates that to replace the entire outdoor condenser unit will cost me much less than the crook contractor charged us for his substandard compressor changeout. $ VS $ and I get a 5 year compressor warranty.

As a toal aside....We hit record high temps this year like most of August was 105 to 109F

I used a open mesh evaporative low restiction cooling pad ( Coolpad) to precool the intake air to several winodw air Conditioers 10,000 BTU ( ibought on sale for $100 each)

Window air conditioner really start to lose cooling after 95% due to the small condensing coils.

By precooling the condenser air intake from 100 F to about 70F I reduced the watt draw from 20 to 25% and I got 3 to 5 degrees colder air ( from the evaporator) to the room even at 100F outdoor temps cold air room discharge from the window AC was 47F to 49F.

I will try this out next week ( we still have a lot of 95F days left) on the one still running 30 year old 3 1/2 ton AC units this moster is about a 6 to 7 SEER . 42,000 BTu on 6500 watts.

I think I can get the central AC up to a 10 to 11 SEER using precooling the condenser air intake.

In Arizona it is ofter 100F at 8% RH for 30 days at a time so evaporative cooling can drop the air temp by 25tF 30F. down to 75 to 70F

Did any of you HVAC guy try the precooling add on kits ..the spray mist kits you see will crap out the comdenser coils quickly...but using a true evaporative precooler you never have to worry about coil damage.

20 to 30% reduction in energy use and 20 % increase cooling capacity is real.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-03-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: prices

Post Likes

Post Likes
    We would like to remind all that this a "G" Rated site, now please help us keep it that way

Posts have been edited as needed to maintain this and this post will serve as a reminder prior to enforcement.

Thanks guys !!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    sucks being victim of a troll.............

i tried to help but no good deed goes un punished huh?

thx beenthere.

Post Likes
    My question is if the suction dryer was old then that means the compressor must have been replaced before. How old is this unit?
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes

age of AC unit and filter

This AC unit built by lear sielger ( 1968) had 2 compressor changeouts to date the last time of a changeout was 16 years ago. So thre old filter is 16 years old.

We have 2 identical units the other unit is running like top we have yearly inspection by a really good HVAC contractor.

After we had the poor changeout the subject of thsi thread the compressor would not start for 5 to 10 minutes ( sounds like a start delay setting) and the condenser fan would run 5 minuts after the compressor stops.

The other unit that is still running starts in seconds ans the condenser fans stop when the compressor cycles off.

Is there something else this contractor screwed up? By leaving the unit to operate like this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhall.tech.sc View Post
    sucks being victim of a troll.............

i tried to help but no good deed goes un punished huh?

thx beenthere.
    He got me too.
    His first post didn't quite make sense but when I asked him a question his answer gave it away. One thing I've learned in life is when you tell the truth there's not much to remember but when you don't there's a lot to remember & its just a matter of time till you give yourself away.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in