Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

By the way RoBo Teq I think your most likely an OK guy just wrong about this one thing, maybe we should talk about the weather or something ?

Consumer Reports totally misses the quality of the installation in their ratings. Their ratings are flawed.

What the hell do the rest of you pros know? A national magazine has made a statement so what they state must be true no matter what you professional HVAC jerks think.

If nothing else, the span of their admitted accuracy makes the CR survey a complete sham. I am not sure when CR started going downhill, but they have not had much respect from the industries that they rate goods from in years.

When I was in rehab after my heart attack, the wall in front of the treadmills was papered with attacks on CRs findings for treadmills. The physical therapists for most major hospitals completley refuted CRs findings and rated much less expensive equipment higher then the expensive brands that CR was claiming was so much better. Seems that CR does have its biases, which means that somewhere down the line someone at CR is being lobbied.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I purchased a bike based upon consumer Reports so called best buy. What a mistake.

Later, after some personal research and the advice of a local bike shop, I purchased a real bike. What a difference!

Maybe you didnt install the first bike correctly.

Same company

Goodman---Janitrol

Carrier---Payne

Trane-----American Standard

Same unit just a different name

good luck

Janitrol is the name of the company that Goodman bought in 1982. While the Janitrol name was kept in use for some time, it is being phazed out and I believe no longer used in the Eastern part of the country at all any longer.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose for that post though.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I still likeAmerican Standard even thou it was rated #1 by CR
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

I want a Goodman Robin.

As soon as my bullet proof UGRA bites it

on a less positive note there are sure a lot of ass clowns here
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

I beg to differ on this opinion, the Nordyne of the past was essentially a junk

Quote Originally Posted by joeoilman View Post
    yep that's why i mentioned nordyne,QUALITY!!!! Fact!!!
    you young pups that follow the latest fad don't know about stuff like that.
    furnace. The big Nordyne brand in these parts was call Miller, absolute trash in a can.

I had a bad heat exchanger in the first year, Nordyne sent me a box with 1 inch tabs of metal to screw over the cracks at the front of the heat exchanger. These cracks were from the flame touching the heat exchanger on start up, a commom problem. The customer didn't like the option so I changed out the furnace. He sued, I am sure he wasted his time suing.

I didn't install the original furnace, the other guy bolted, I don't blame him the furnace had several other problems.

I speak of the old Nordyne, which competed with Janitrol. I cannot speak for the Nordyne of today.
    I figure if I am going to sell Brand X, I might as well find the cheapest unit, and that is Goodman.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    No one has said it yet, but in the climate of Dallas and the prospect of nat gas prices going thruthe roof in the next few yers (not to mention now), yu likely have AC - why not consider a heat pump? Would bet yu money you will be $$$ ahead within 4 years.
    The price of electric is going thru the roof also. And heatpumps don't work very well in the north. As a nation we need more Solar water heating, solar electric, wind, and others. I have some small systems for lighting for now.
    Here is an example of one for heat. Expensive though.
    http://store.altenergystore.com/Sola...Package/p5890/

I've put in a few Goodman units, and have never had any problems with any of them. As far as noise they were all in basements, and sounded quite. The Company I work for install Trane and Carrier, but all commercial. Talk about noisy! Anything is quite after you work on a Liebert unit.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    If it works it's good

The only bad furnace with a bad history is the Big L, Lennox has been a troubled heating furnace for as long as I remember. Now I speak of the Lennox that made the pulse, whisper, complete heat, and my favorite, the dur-a crack heat exchanger.
    I havent seen a Lennox in 8 to 10 years, but I remember working for a Lennox dealer and all the trouble those things were, never could get just a replacement part, always a part kit to change a poor design or crap part to start with.
    I wouldn't heat a out house with a Lennox unit and can't believe that they are any better today then they were then or are they?
    I see alot of guys saying they are number 1 and think who are these dips? Have they not worked in this business for long? Do they not know the history behind a company that has never properly field tested any furnace before they turn it lose on the consumer, then realize it is a problem and start making new part kits to keep them running, or stop production or change the design.
    Or am I way off base? Did the big L change? Do they now make a some what reliable machine, I know the Lennox of yesterday, how is it today?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast