Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    yep that's why i mentioned nordyne,QUALITY!!!! Fact!!!
    you young pups that follow the latest fad don't know about stuff like that.

If he's interested in quality he'll be looking at a ThermoPride!

I don't believe they mak'em any better than that.

IN MY OPINION YOU ARE PAYING FOR A NAME WITH BIG BRANDS.
    I LIKE TO PUT IN GOODMAN. ALL PARTS ARE PROVEN QUALITY. YOU SHOULD ALSO LOOK AT REPLACING PARTS DOWN THE ROAD WITH YOU NEW UNIT WHICH FURNACES COST ALOT TO REPLACE THINGS CARRIER SEEMS TO CHARGE ALOT MORE THAN ANY OTHER FURNACES I'VE SEEN. GOODMAN SEEMS TO BE THE MOST COST EFFICENT FURNACE OUT THERE THEY USED TO BE A BAD COMPANY BUT HAVE MADE GREAT CHANGES THAY ARE THE #2 SELLING PRODUCT ON THE MARKET BEHIND CARRIER BUT CARRIER SELLS THERE PRODUCT UNDER ALL KINDS OF NAMES LIKE BRYANT, DUCANE AND LOTS MORE GIVES THEM THE ADVANTAGE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A QUITE FURNACE GO WITH A 2 STAGE FURNACE THEY COST ALOT MORE MONEY BUT DON'T BE FULLED THEY DO NOT SAVE YOU MONEY ON YOUR GAS BILL ONLY A LITTLE ON YOUR ELECRIC BILL I DO NOT THINK IT IS WORTH THE MONEY . I DO THICK 93% GOODMAN IS A GREAT FURNACE JUST GET A GOOD INSTALLER TO DO IT CALIBRATION IS THE KEY THIS OF COURSE IS WITH ANY BRAND YOU MAY WANT.

Just for the record; Goodman "IS" a big brand name.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Actually, If you are looking for the queitest 80, look at the Rheem RGPN. Its the quietest 80+ on the market.

http://www.rheemac.com/superquiet80/

That said, a poor duct system will also add to noise levels.

Originally posted by wwhvac
    IN MY OPINION YOU ARE PAYING FOR A NAME WITH BIG BRANDS.
    I LIKE TO PUT IN GOODMAN. ALL PARTS ARE PROVEN QUALITY. YOU SHOULD ALSO LOOK AT REPLACING PARTS DOWN THE ROAD WITH YOU NEW UNIT WHICH FURNACES COST ALOT TO REPLACE THINGS CARRIER SEEMS TO CHARGE ALOT MORE THAN ANY OTHER FURNACES I'VE SEEN. GOODMAN SEEMS TO BE THE MOST COST EFFICENT FURNACE OUT THERE THEY USED TO BE A BAD COMPANY BUT HAVE MADE GREAT CHANGES THAY ARE THE #2 SELLING PRODUCT ON THE MARKET BEHIND CARRIER BUT CARRIER SELLS THERE PRODUCT UNDER ALL KINDS OF NAMES LIKE BRYANT, DUCANE AND LOTS MORE GIVES THEM THE ADVANTAGE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A QUITE FURNACE GO WITH A 2 STAGE FURNACE THEY COST ALOT MORE MONEY BUT DON'T BE FULLED THEY DO NOT SAVE YOU MONEY ON YOUR GAS BILL ONLY A LITTLE ON YOUR ELECRIC BILL I DO NOT THINK IT IS WORTH THE MONEY . I DO THICK 93% GOODMAN IS A GREAT FURNACE JUST GET A GOOD INSTALLER TO DO IT CALIBRATION IS THE KEY THIS OF COURSE IS WITH ANY BRAND YOU MAY WANT.
    I can't read this, it's all a blur.... would you please turn off the caps?

I purchased a Carrier Infinity 96 and a Carrier Infinity 80 for my current home. Had them since last November. I live a little bit North of Dallas (Edmonton, AB) and I can tell you with the winters here - I want the BEST furnace I can get, and quiet as well.

The first stage heating (which the furnace stays in 80 % of the time) is silent. I only hear the air rushing out of the vents, and even then, I don't hear it. I only hear it when it stops (when it kicks in to the second stage heating, it blows harder, but the fan stops for about 10 seconds, then it roars on - but it's the air, not the furnace that you hear). It keeps our 26 year old 'breathing' home very comfortable and it cut my electric bill in half, and my heating bill by about 40%. In my estimates, for the first year alone, in Electric and Gas charges we probably saved about $400.

I'm going all out in our new home, Carrier Infinity system, complete with zoning, Ininity control, air exchanger(?), and in the future (if needed) an Infinity Air Conditioner. A lot of money, but way up here in the Great White North, the most important appliance we have is our furnace

Originally posted by kpt_krunch
    the most important appliance we have is our furnace
    And sad to say "most people don't realize this".

Hello experts,

I read with interest the various replies. One reply about the two stage heating and how it is not that important caught my attention because I thought about the matter before. If you want to heat a room to a certain degree, with 2 stage you do it slowly, but it takes longer. With one stage it is faster but also you heated in a shorter time. So in my logic, the only difference is that the temperature swing is larger in a single stage heat unit (ALso louder), but I doubt you save much on either gas or electric bill. To save on that, a high efficient unit is needed which will cost more. But again all high end units of any brand are 2 stage so there must be a good engineering reason to use that.

I also agree that the installer is the most important factor, but hey look everything is like that (Same argument about everything like car gas is gas whether Texaco or 711 and they charge more for their advertizement). In my opinion, which many other experts might not agree, brand names have better quality control. Again thanks for the feedback. Any other feedback on the subject is welcomed.

Mike

As of October/November Goodman will have 8 furnace models rated at 95% efficient. Just an FYI.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The XV80 and the G60V are both great furnaces. The controls for both are virtually identacle, both from the same supplier, just with minor differences in the programing and dip switches.
    I personally think the XV80 has better fit and finish, and has a slightly better seal around the blower access door, wich is an issue with a unit installed in the attic.
    We are exclusivly a Trane dealer though, so I may be a tad biased.

As others have pointed out though, the quality of the installation is far more important than the actual equipment used.

I have yet to hear a 2 stage furnace with, a varriable speed blower, from any manufacturer that wasn't virtually silent in 1st stage heat when it is set up properly.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Arrow

Originally posted by docholiday
    Actually, If you are looking for the quietest 80, look at the Rheem RGPN. It's the quietest 80+ on the market.

http://www.rheemac.com/superquiet80/

...audio samples from nine different brands of furnaces.

[Edited by LK on 09-17-2005 at 04:55 PM]

Granted there is no way to really hear how a system sounds over the internet. But... and here is my pitch...

The NEWS (HVAC trade publication) selected at random 1500 contractors to choose the best products on the market. The super quiet 80 topped the list (the infinity came in third). Awarded the inovation award from comfortech in 2004. Dont take my word for it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast