Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metal training

da boss wanted the installers to practice metal work so we had our best tinman build this training station where the others could practice. Only thing he didn't do was build the box under the furnace. All done by hand with a 4' brake. Right now one of the rookies has taken Dave's transitions out and will do his own to see how long it takes and how nice it looks.

Hey Bald one, sign me up for that class please.

Dang Loonie. Those poor rookies got a tough act to follow
    That's a work of art.

The Metal makes the install if ya ask me, thats some mighty nice metal there...I hardly ever had to make any metal so I never learned. I wish/Hope i can get some time in training on making metal..This is a great move for your company Dont limit it to just installers some techs that dont know metal may want to learn too...Sounds like you you will have alot O scrap though..
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane

Sorry but it's just a ok job,not the best but I will give him a break because you said he done it on a 4' brake.Is that a double cross brake if so then he most know something and don't dent his art work we don't like that.

It's the U422. I don't know anything about metal. When he does a double brake, he pulls it out and turns it around if that tell anything.

http://roperwhitney.com/bending/1-17.cfm

Damn it even looks straight! did he bend all of his seams on that 4 ft brake?

Smile

Baldy, looks like you have a keeper in that tinknocker. Must be a Michigan guy, thats how we were trained back in the dark ages to do a cross break. Think its time for a big raise if all his metal work looks like that.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

What did he build

between the coil and the furnace?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Re: What did he build

Originally posted by spotts
    between the coil and the furnace?
    A clearance between the top of the furnace and the bottom of the coil. A very desireable feature to allow full flow of air around the outsides of the left and right heat exchanger cells. Never did understand why folks will install a coil, especially a narrow opening coil right on top of the furnace. Some furnaces such as Trane's BLU K series would trip limit if the coil wasn't at least 1- 1/2 inch above the furnace as per Trane's install instructions.

John that's a really great install your tinner made.

Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Wow...that looks awesome. I've never seen that type of cross break myself. I'd like to learn more about that way, as I'd rather cross break duct than bead it. That's pretty sharp. Nice work.
    Get back to work.™

i'm not impressed. i don't see any flex. flex is where the true craftsman shines through. how come you don't use the Rheem evaps?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Pooky it 1st, then make them tear it apart and remake it. lol
    Ok, that would just be mean.

Very snazzy looking job, be sure to tell him that he's got some fans on this site. I really like the idea of hanging that stuff off from strut and all thread, you could be mean and make many a changes to keep them on thier toes.

Very nice to see y'all training your guys to do work like that.

Oh, to make it more real you should also build a room around that training set up so they can only get at one side of the duct, then get a show cat and put it's litter box in front of the unit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast