have 2.5 bryant compressor need air handler

I have a 2 year old bryant 2.5 ton outside compressor. I need to buy an air handler.

Should I only go with a 2.5 ton air handler or can I use a 3 ton AH?

What are the advantages/disadvantages using a 3ton AH inside my attic?

What brands/models do you recommend to buy or avoid?

I read a write up comparing the single speed vs variable speed AH. The variable speed may be what I buy since it's cheaper to run, quieter and supposedly pulls more humidity out of the air compared to a single speed.

The attic is not conditioned and I plan to run insulated flex duct off the AH. The AH is only going to condition the top floor of a small Baltimore City townhouse. It gets very hot/humid in summer and I know 2.5 ton is probably overkill for 1 floor.

Once the AH is installed, I may wrap the AH with more insulation. I'm also going to blow a couple feet of insulation into the attic.

Thanks for any info.

Slash

Kind of an all over the place post. Assuming you have a 2.5 ton condenser instead of compressor: is this a new house? If not, what size unit was in the house before? Post the write-up about the variable speed motor. What advantage would the AH have being in the attic compared to??? 1 "floor" has nothing to do with what size unit you need. The single floor could be 2800 Sq Ft. and being on the top, good luck with 2.5 tons. Elaborate more, the more help you will get. No offense, but i can tell by your post you need to hire a reputable company that knows what they are doing because you could really mess something up and wind up doing it 4 times.

No offense taken. Thanks for the reply. In the future, I will only post 1 question at a time.

There's no duct work in the house. There are radiators for heat. It's a 2 story house with a basement. The house is about 1500 square feet so about 750 square feet for the upstairs.
    3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs with a total of 6 windows on the

The house was built in the 1950's and it's all brick. The only insulation is in the attic. The air handler needs to go in the attic. All the homes in the neighborhood have AH's in the attic. I want to run 4 insulated flex duct off the AH and cut into the ceiling of each room and bathroom.

The questions I have are the following.

Is there a benefit to having a 3 ton AH with a 2.5 ton compressor? I will just get a 2.5 ton AH if there are no benefits.

What size insulated flex duct should I run off the air handler? The longest run might be 10 feet.

Single speed or variable speed AH?
    Here is the link to the post I read.
    http://buildwrite.********.com/2007/...vs-single.html

Can all ducts handle variable and single speed air handlers?

Should your duct be larger or smaller for a variable speed AH or it doesn't matter?

Thanks again.

Slash

There is not necessarily an advantage or disadvantage to a 3 ton unit. What you would most benefit from is a properly sized system with matched components. So, if 3 ton is the right size, that would be best, if not, then it could be a problem.

The size of the duct would be determined by the required CFM for each run. Make sure the installer does a proper load calc.

In my opinion, variable speed is the better option. These motors are far more "intelligent" than the traditional PSC motors, and will have a more accurate and consistent airflow, plus better efficiency.

As long as the ducts are sized properly, and your static pressure is within the acceptable range, then it should not matter what type of AH you have.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. When you say matched components are you talking about the size of the compressor and air handler?

So, if you have a 2.5 ton compressor, it's best to have a 2.5 ton AH?

I'm assuming if you could have a 2.5 ton Bryant and a 2.5 ton Trane AH and they would be a considered matched components?

Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Slash

Slash,
    No offense, but you are in way over your head. 2.5 ton is going to be far too large for that space and you will have more problems than you can imagine.
    This is not a DIY site. The best advice would be to hire a contractor to size and properly install the correct system for the space's needs...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

No offense taken. I appreciate you honesty. I had 4 hvac guys say it is a little large but I won't have any problems. What problems are you talking about?
    Possibly not pulling out enough humidity?

Thanks.

Slash