+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cole Slaw.

Post Likes

Cole Slaw.

I love cole slaw and have tasted some pretty good versions over the years.

I love to cook but my cole slaw always tastes so-so. Is there any cole slaw master chefs with some advice and/or trade secrets.

Tis the season for cole slaw.

Post Likes
    I cheat.

I buy a bag of shredded cabbage and a bottle of Kraft coleslaw dressing, mix it together and let it sit in the fridge a few hours.

It's easy and I like the taste, especially with BBQ and beer.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    I have been hooked on cole slaw for years. I'm not into the vinigary type .... I like creamy. Now my favorate place I use to eat at that had it was a resterant that was making it with the packaged stuff that they were getting the sauce out of sysco. Looked into it and decided the packages they get it were way to big for me to do anything with. Over the years I have messed with differant mixtures trying to duplicate what the sysco stuff was like but never did perfect it exactly ( good but not perfect ) . Besides with all the half and half or creme ....... wasn't all that health lol

lighthouse brand isn't bad as a quick backup if you don't have time to make it
    Last edited by dec; 06-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Post Likes
    Been making slaw since I was a kid and my favorite for the dressing has always been Henri's Tas-Tee. Also found that a drained can of chunk pineapple makes it even better.

Post Likes
    Do you like the Vinegar slaw? if so I have a recipe for you. We smoked 2 whole hogs and made 100 lbs of potato salad and 60 lb of slaw for a American Legion Fund Raiser last weekend. had 85 lbs of Pulled pork, oh and the Baked Beans were amazing if anyone wants the tips email me
    Crego97@yahoo.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Also found that a drained can of chunk pineapple makes it even better.
    That's the first I've heard of that idea...and it sounds really good! I'll be trying that. Thanks!

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    From the restaurants I used to own, here you go. Super simple recipe.

Cabbage, of course. It can be shredded or chopped. A little grated carrot for color. The secret ingredient? Onion! Fine chop half a sweet onion to add in.
    The sauce is really easy too. We never measured, just mix to taste. Start with some mayo, like a cup maybe. Then drizzle in red wine vinegar till you thin it a little. Add fine ground black pepper till it looks right, not too much though. White sugar, you have to add a fair amount to get it to just sweet. Then drizzle more red wine vinegar to get the consistency you want. Don't over thin it, if you do, it won't stick to the slaw. Stir the sauce until the sugar is mixed in well, then pour onto cabbage mixture and seal in a tupperware or similar.It's best if you can let the slaw set in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerfixer View Post
    From the restaurants I used to own, here you go. Super simple recipe.

Cabbage, of course. It can be shredded or chopped. A little grated carrot for color. The secret ingredient? Onion! Fine chop half a sweet onion to add in.
    The sauce is really easy too. We never measured, just mix to taste. Start with some mayo, like a cup maybe. Then drizzle in red wine vinegar till you thin it a little. Add fine ground black pepper till it looks right, not too much though. White sugar, you have to add a fair amount to get it to just sweet. Then drizzle more red wine vinegar to get the consistency you want. Don't over thin it, if you do, it won't stick to the slaw. Stir the sauce until the sugar is mixed in well, then pour onto cabbage mixture and seal in a tupperware or similar.It's best if you can let the slaw set in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
    Sounds great! I am going to add a little pineapple also.

Post Likes
    my inlaws make a cole slaw with shredded lettuce,mayo,corn,diced tomato a little onion and little salt . it has to be made to eat because lettuse gets soggy kinda quick . i like it , we joke and call it mexican cole slaw.

Post Likes
    cole slaw mixed with pinto/baked beans is AWSOME

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrk8r View Post
    That's the first I've heard of that idea...and it sounds really good! I'll be trying that. Thanks!
    Okay, armed with the 'combined' information from above I tried making coleslaw again.

It was good butttttttt.......

What I did was use Kraft Cole Slaw dressing. Shredded cabbage from scratch, crushed pineapple from scratch, minced onion, and shredded carrot.

It looked a little whimpy so I added some mayo. Let it sit in the refrigerator over night. No rave reviews but at least no one threw it at me.

I think that the pineapple didn't work with the minced onion. Oh well, "back to the drawing board" as they say.

Post Likes
    I don't care for the pineapple variation, altho some folks do,,,,
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    I found that crushed pineapple makes it too juicy and that runs around the plate to everything. Drained can of chunk works much better.

Post Likes
    my grandmother (bless her German soul) put dice apple in her's
    Don't annoy the combat veteran!!!!
    All gave some - Some gave ALL

Post Likes
    Okay Jerry try this one...it's GREAT...trust me

Shred one large green cabbage ( about 3 pounds) and one large onion and put into a heat resistance bowl. In a small saucepan , bring 1/2 cup barbecue sauce of choice, 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar and 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the cabbage and onion. Stir well to mix. Chill for at least 1 hour to marinate. Stir in 1/4 cup of light mayonnaise and serve, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days...
    Enjoy..Ila
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes

The Book

I'll bet a shiny new dime you have The Joy Of Cooking. Que' No!
    I like the recipe for BarBQ slaw. Page 97.
    I'd increase the Worcester by twice, the vinegar by 1/3rd, cut the scallions by1/3rd and doubled the sugar.
    Hate to say it, as it's not a homey, but Kentucky Fried has a great slaw too.

Post Likes
    K F C slaw is good for fast food. I agree with you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy's chick View Post
    Okay Jerry try this one...it's GREAT...trust me

Shred one large green cabbage ( about 3 pounds) and one large onion and put into a heat resistance bowl. In a small saucepan , bring 1/2 cup barbecue sauce of choice, 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar and 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the cabbage and onion. Stir well to mix. Chill for at least 1 hour to marinate. Stir in 1/4 cup of light mayonnaise and serve, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days...
    Enjoy..Ila
    Sounds good Ila. I'll try it. But I think I'll use regular Mayo. I need the calories.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in