Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello, I've skimmed through several pages of old posts, and haven't seen anything that quite matched my situation, so I thought I would start a new thread and see if anyone can help me out...

I have a house that's about 15 years old, with the original Carrier HVAC unit. In the 2 years that we've owned the house, this unit has been pretty trouble-free -- last year the blower motor died and was replaced, but that's the only problem we've had... until now.

We have the air conditioning on with the thermostat set to 72 degrees F, outside air temperature ranged from 80 to 90 degrees F today. Up until yesterday, our A/C seemed to be working fine and maintaining 72 degrees inside. But since then, the temperature inside the house has risen up to about 80 degrees, and will not cool down.

Outside, the condenser outside appears to be clean -- the fins are free of debris. The condenser fan is running fine, blowing plenty of air -- but the air does not feel perceptibly warmer than outside ambient air.

Inside, the blower appears to be running properly. But there is only a very small amount of slightly cool air 'trickling' out of the registers. When things were working properly, very cold air would blow pretty forcefully from the vents. I did just replace the filter (which was, admittedly, quite dirty) this evening, but that did nothing to improve the cooling.

Can anybody out there hazard a guess as to what might be wrong with my A/C? Is there anything I can check to try and narrow down what the problem is? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

could be iced up. shut off cooling overnight and just run fan in on position. try cooling tommorow if it does not work call for service and shut it off.

Thanks for the quick response. I took a closer look at the condenser unit, and one of the lines running to it does indeed have a large chunk of frosty ice on it. I'll shut off A/C overnight and use fan only. Thanks again!

By the way, what would cause this condition? Unusually high outdoor temp/humidity? High heat load inside the house (we did have company over yesterday)? Or is it just my usual brand of bad luck?

Your dirty filter.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by tlniec
    Thanks for the quick response. I took a closer look at the condenser unit, and one of the lines running to it does indeed have a large chunk of frosty ice on it. I'll shut off A/C overnight and use fan only. Thanks again!

By the way, what would cause this condition? Unusually high outdoor temp/humidity? High heat load inside the house (we did have company over yesterday)? Or is it just my usual brand of bad luck?

Dirty filter,or several things that you'll need a Pro to take care of.I'd wouldn't run it it all ,if it's icing up.

For your benefit and the benefit of the system, call a professional. The information you have given here will certainly assist them in making the correct diagnosis, so share what you have shared with us, when they arrive on the job. We can speculate all day long, but you need someone there 'hands on' to take care of the service issue.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

And, at the same time get the furnace checked out. A fifteen year old carrier that does not get serviced before the heating season begins gets looked at at midnight. But then, most times you get a fix of the problem only and still need a complete checkup at a later date.

Thanks for the replies. I let it thaw overnight, and this morning the ice had cleared, so I started it up. Within about 4 hours, it was starting to ice up again. I shut it down (running the fan only) and will leave it that way until a professional can check it out -- probably tomorrow (Monday).

Follow-up:

I had a tech out today to look at the system. It turns out that the unit was low on refrigerant. He went ahead and added the necessary refrigerant, and everything appears to be working correctly again.
    I'll monitor performance to make sure that it stays consistent. I hope the problem doesn't come back, since I'd prefer not to have to chase down a leak.
    Since this unit is about 15 years old, and has quite possibly never seen a service tech before we moved in two years ago (previous owners weren't very savvy/into maintenance) perhaps it was just a time issue. Thanks again for all the helpful replies!

Originally posted by tlniec
    Follow-up:

I had a tech out today to look at the system. It turns out that the unit was low on refrigerant. He went ahead and added the necessary refrigerant, and everything appears to be working correctly again.
    I'll monitor performance to make sure that it stays consistent. I hope the problem doesn't come back, since I'd prefer not to have to chase down a leak.
    Since this unit is about 15 years old, and has quite possibly never seen a service tech before we moved in two years ago (previous owners weren't very savvy/into maintenance) perhaps it was just a time issue. Thanks again for all the helpful replies!
    The problem is still there.

You have just aired up a flat tire & started a long road trip.

Expect problems.

Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer
    Your dirty filter.
    Opps, I was wrong. Darn the luck.

But thanks for posting back with the answer. Not very many people do.

gotta leak for sure, no question about it. Charge does not just magically disappear from a system. Hopefully it is a very small leak and may get you through another year. With a 15 year old unit, I would say you will be looking at a new unit soon. Start saving the pennies for next cooling season.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Originally posted by Black Adder
    gotta leak for sure, no question about it.
    How can you say this?

I mean really, there is a problem when a tech just charges a unit and says that's the only problem.

First, IF it was low, where did it go?
    (has to have a leak)

Second, I have seen many tech's charge a unit (thinking it was low) only to have it not work properly a short while later (days, months, year).

Have you never recovered twice, or three times the amount of refrigerant that a system was to have held?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast